Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
I'll try and keep this short as possible - I am trying to transfer the contacts from Outlook 2003 on a windows pc to address book on a mac running 10.6.8. The "export" to .CSV feature on Outlook seems to be inoperative and I can't figure out why. So I figured I would try migration assistant. When i open up migration assistant on the mac (version 3.0.4) there is no option to connect to a PC. All the apple support articles show this as an option. Was this feature introduced in a later version of OSX/Migration assistant? Is there any other way to transfer contacts that I am forgetting? Thanks!

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
PC migration through Migration Assistant was introduced with 10.7 / Lion, thats why it's not showing as an option on your system.

If all you need are your contacts then you might check out O2M (Outlook to Mac), it does a good job exporting contacts to the more open vcard format. They have a trial that you can use to ensure it works before purchasing.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I'll try and keep this short as possible - I am trying to transfer the contacts from Outlook 2003 on a windows pc to address book on a mac running 10.6.8. The "export" to .CSV feature on Outlook seems to be inoperative and I can't figure out why. So I figured I would try migration assistant. When i open up migration assistant on the mac (version 3.0.4) there is no option to connect to a PC. All the apple support articles show this as an option. Was this feature introduced in a later version of OSX/Migration assistant? Is there any other way to transfer contacts that I am forgetting? Thanks!

I don't remember or not, but does Windows have an option to export the contacts as vcards(.vcf)? If so, the that should be it. Export them to an sd card or cd, or external hard rive or an email. Once you get the device opened up on the Mac, then it will import them automatically.

I'm pretty sure that Outlook 2007 had this feature but not sure if you can select all of your contacts and export them all as a group or if you have to do it individually.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit

I'm adding this just in case the reason it isn't working on the PC is that you're missing a step...
In Outlook, pick export->comma separated values, then pick your contacts folder. Name the file something like "outlook.csv" and leave it on your desktop. Try looking at with wordpad to see if anything made it into the file. Next copy the file to your Mac and import it into Contacts.

Now I move on...
Try installing Thunderbird (email freeware) on the PC. Then import your Outlook contacts into Thunderbird and then lastly export them from TB which should have more export options than Outlook ever had. You should be able to find an export option from TB that is compatible with mail.app on your Mac.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone. I used Thunderbird to get my contacts out of outlook and then exported them to my Mac. Worked like a charm!

I'm adding this just in case the reason it isn't working on the PC is that you're missing a step...
In Outlook, pick export->comma separated values, then pick your contacts folder. Name the file something like "outlook.csv" and leave it on your desktop. Try looking at with wordpad to see if anything made it into the file. Next copy the file to your Mac and import it into Contacts.

Now I move on...
Try installing Thunderbird (email freeware) on the PC. Then import your Outlook contacts into Thunderbird and then lastly export them from TB which should have more export options than Outlook ever had. You should be able to find an export option from TB that is compatible with mail.app on your Mac.

Literally when I click on File -> Export in Outlook nothing happens (the export window didn't pop up) hence the problem. But Thunderbird worked so I'm all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.