Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm looking to build a website for myself. I don't know anything about it, so I'm looking to use some sort of service, like Intuit, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions about a good company that can do this for me?

As always, I appreciate any help you can offer.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
which types of tubes?

all you've given us to go on is that you want it on the internet.

please be more specific, the world is watching and waiting to comment! :eek:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Is the goal to have a professional looking site or to learn how to create a professional looking website?

The goal is to have a professional looking website. I want to advertise a service, have an email account, be able to accept credit card or paypal payments, etc.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I mostly use WordPress. I've used web builders since about 1997, and it's sad that we still don't have a really good one. Squarespace is cool, but I don't know, I still find it a pain to work with. It's not as user friendly as they make it out to be.

I have a folder with the simplest WordPress setup. Just room for the sidebar, the loop, and space for the header and footer. Throw that in, then setup plugins, do the CSS around it, then bam. There's the website. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I mostly use WordPress. I've used web builders since about 1997, and it's sad that we still don't have a really good one. Squarespace is cool, but I don't know, I still find it a pain to work with. It's not as user friendly as they make it out to be.

I have a folder with the simplest WordPress setup. Just room for the sidebar, the loop, and space for the header and footer. Throw that in, then setup plugins, do the CSS around it, then bam. There's the website. :rolleyes:

Wordpress works very well.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Wordpress works very well.

Yep.

And should you go that route. Don't do cheap hosting. :rolleyes: The bigger hosts already have a bunch of spam protection in place, so you'll get spammed less. You can wake up to an inbox full of spam everyday with a cheap CPanel host.

There's plugins that deal with it of course, but you can get by with the basic Akismet at the right place.

Valeri

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2013
There is a new engine for the website creation - Ophigen. Try it. It's free.

To get your website working you will need to download the software, install it on a web server and create a database.
All scripts and installation manuals are on the site (see link above).

Geeky Cub

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
Toronto, ON [Canada]
UK based " Moonfruit " is a great online site builder you should check out.

I've been using UK based online site builder " Moonfruit " [moonfruit dot com] since 2001, and I find that it's still one of the best and affordable options for personal web site building, especially for beginners(or experienced folks) who are keen to take their site management into their own hands. Their sites have been Flash based but they are now moving into allowing folks to create HTML5 sites but that is still in Beta for the most part so there aren't quite as many templates and features as the flash version. But my understanding is that they are working to make the HTML5 version as feature rich as the Flash version, and if you've already created a Flash site you'll be able to convert it to HTML5 afterwards if you like. You can try for free for 14 days I believe and if you scout around online, you might be able to find a Promo code of two that could save you some dough off your year subscription; they charge in your choice of U.S., Pounds or Euros I believe. Anyway like anything else in life it takes a lil bit of applying yourself to learn how to use it, but they have a great support forum community and agents that can help you along the way. It has e-commerce tools/features using Paypal which I believe is what you are looking for. Hope that helps!

I'm looking to build a website for myself. I don't know anything about it, so I'm looking to use some sort of service, like Intuit, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions about a good company that can do this for me?

shelle

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2013
First of all, you must decide what kind of website you want to create, because everything starts from that.. If you want to create just a simple blog then use blogger, wordpress blog, blog, weebly or whatever you want..

If you want something a little bit serious (much more serious blog, or website for small business) then you have much more work to do and a lot of learning. I strongly recommend to use free website building platforms like: Joomla or Wordpress..

If you want to build really serious website, for some huge business, where you gonna have a big DB, with customer services, forums running or constantly news updating then I recommend to engage some webdesign company to build requested website. You can use wordpress or joomla as well, but you gonna need some big changes and adjustments to achieve what you want.

And that's it, depending what you want you will need to chose your webhost as well as to chose what kind of SEO campaign you gonna use..

If you want serious then you will need serious resources, if you want small then you will need small and cheap resources..

Hemanthmalli

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014

I want to know you will design your own website or you want the company to design your website or else you want the ideas to design a website.

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
Another vote for WordPress.

It's far from perfect and I actually have a long list of criticisms of the platform but I'd argue that it's the best option right now.

JulianMD

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2014
Texas

this is the age old question and have been solved by the more popular CMS application like Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress. Creating website is now requiring no technical skill after all.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
SquareSpace (http://www.squarespace.com/) is quite popular and I've heard good things about it.

Squarespace is outstanding and a nice turnkey solution. It's a CMS, a platform, a service, a host and the current version is extremely slick. Regardless of theme, you're using the same core product, provided by the same company.

Wordpress is an opensource CMS, so it depends on the template(s), modules, who you select to host, etc. You get a wider range of options, but a level of customization that you probably don't need - also the CMS UI isn't as good as Squarespace, though the resulting site can be terrific.

CMS = Content Management System

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.