Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in April, a pair of photos surfaced showing what was claimed to be a white front panel from Apple's fifth-generation iPad, showing narrower side bezels as had been rumored as part of a redesign inspired by the iPad mini. A brief video that surfaced over this past weekend also appeared to show the next-generation iPad's front panel and digitizer paired with a rear shell.

macfixit_ipad_5_digitizer_front.jpg

Now, a new listing at parts and repair firm Macfixit Australia includes a number of photos of a similar part, which the company's supplier says is a genuine front panel and digitizer for the fifth-generation iPad.

macfixit_ipad_5_digitizer_rear.jpg

The part shows the same narrower side bezels seen in previous leaks, as well as a pair of flex cables running along one of the long edges of the panel and ending in connectors in roughly the same location seen on both the current iPad and in the leaked photo from last weekend. The connectors are different from those seen in current and previous full-size iPads, but Apple has been rumored to be making a number of technological changes in order to achieve the smaller form factor expected for the upcoming iPad, revisions which could necessitate a significant change in connector design.
Our supplier claims this is the new iPad 5 Screen/Digitizer:

- The display area is the same as the iPad Retina.

- The edges of the frame are narrower using the same style as the iPad mini.

- The ITO (Indium tin oxide) is the same as the iPad mini.

- There is now 2 connectors instead of 1.

- The connectors have been changed from FFC (Flat Flexible Cable, like the iPad 2/3/4) to FPC (Flexible Printed Circuits, like the iPhone 4/5).
Stamped on the front panel is a part number of 821-1892-02, which matches the format used by Apple on many of its iOS device components.

macfixit_ipad_5_digitizer_part_number.jpg

Apple is expected to introduce the fifth-generation iPad as soon as next month, with an updated iPad mini rumored to be following fairly soon after.

(Thanks, Martin!)

Article Link: New Photos of the Black iPad 5 Front Panel and Digitizer Assembly

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Oh god, I feel awful that you can see his reflection. He's selling these photos to make a little money since he works for pennies, but he is likely only viewing these pics on a mobile and doesn't realize he's sending his reflection. I bet he's going to be in a world of hurt over this.

S

syd430

Guy that took the picture may or not be screwed since you can see his reflection.

Not much that you can make out in that picture except that he appears to of Asian decent. Good, we've narrowed down the perpetrator to 3.5 billion people.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Not much that you can make out in that picture except that he appears to of Asian decent. Good, we've narrowed down the perpetrator to 3.5 billion people.

if he works at Foxconn, that narrows it down to about 20,000

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013

Not all 3.5 billion are male and work at Foxconn. I think that this guy could be identified because of the clarity of his facial features in the image.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Anyone think there will be a price reduction? All these other tablets are getting ridiculously cheap...

They are cheap for a reason.

You don't see Audi or BMW dropping their prices because other cheap cars come out do you?

They drive and get you from place to place just like Audis and BMW's do. But we all know there is something called the driving experience and the design/make/materials/look of the car.

Now apply that here to tablets.

S

syd430

if he works at Foxconn, that narrows it down to about 20,000

Not all 3.5 billion are male and work at Foxconn. I think this guy could be identified because of the clarity of his facial features in the image.

Who says he didn't break in to a Foxconn factory, take a snap, and make an exit? As for whether being male or female, it could very well be a well-done rubber mask. In light of this, I guess I'll have to revise my estimate up to 7 billion people.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
He looks like any chinese guy I've seen. The picture is not clear enough, you don't know his height, or any real distinguishing features.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Anyone think there will be a price reduction? All these other tablets are getting ridiculously cheap...
The competition uses the underpowered and fragmented Android operating system, laggy motion controls, and poor resolutions.
So, yes, the other tablets ARE cheap. That's for sure. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.