Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
If you want cross platform play in XCOM using Steam but have a MAS version contact our support team and they might be able to help you out. ;)

Well I did write to support this morning and not much later got a reply informing me that unfortunately it isn't possible at this point to remedy this. Oh, well. I appreciate the suggestion and it was worth a shot. I might just bite the bullet and purchase it again on Steam if it happens to go on sale during the upcoming Summer Sale.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
After reading your plea for help, I quickly wrote a mod for Empire (not Napoleon) to help you out, you will get a little text overlapping in the text boxes from time to time but it makes all the text in the game display a lot bigger making it easier to read especially at high resolution.

Simply download this mod and follow the instructions and it will install the mod files and tell you what to type into the advanced panel to activate the different options. You will have 4 different font sizes to choose from, the bigger ones are easier to read but have a little more clipping.

Enjoy,

Edwin

p.s. Napoleon is a fair bit tricker to mod the fonts so that's why I don't have a solution right now.

I'm happy to report this works rather well and substantially improves my enjoyment of this game. So a big thanks to Edwin.

Using the largest font setting there is some clipping but it's reasonably infrequent and when it happens it doesn't affect gameplay. So if your eyesight isn't the best this is for you. Here's a 1920x1200 screnshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuofhdni27d66p3/Empire. Total War at 1.31.05 PM.png

The folks at Feral are awesome! :)

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It's slightly worse on modern Apple hardware because the pixel density and resolutions on Mac's is getting higher making the font look smaller (you should see it on a Retina MPB!), if you drop the resolution a little it becomes much bigger and easier to read. I know this is not a perfect solution but it will make it much easier for you.

Exactly ONE of the reasons I opted to buy a 21.5" iMac, rather than the monstrous everyone-thinks-they-need-one 27" iMac.

On a 27" iMac, and also those Retina MBs, the native resolution is so ridiculously high. Yes, of course everything looks "sharper". But everything also looks so much tinier. Many games are not made with those resolutions in mind. Heck, not too many years ago, the "gold standard" expected requirement for pixel resolution on PC games was 1024x768.

Thanks edddeduck for your insight, and being forthright on these issues. They might be minor issues for most (and rarely game-breaking issues), but it's nice to see honest answers from people like you who are from the gaming industry.

P.S. --- I'm expecting a bunch of 27" iMac lovers to come and crucify me for what I just posted above. Then again, nothing I've said is untrue. Only telling it like it is.

SeanKS

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
Firstly, God bless Feral for porting the Total War games to Mac. Love them on the PC. Secondly, I remember finding on these forums a packet of saved games for Empire that had games where you start with a ton of cash. Any chance theres a version of them for Napoleon? I play the normal game but sometimes its fun to just build up huge armies to throw down without worrying about trade,development,etc..

Thanks again.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
You need the 8gb ram version of the 2012 macbook air to play this?! Are the mac video drivers for the HD4000 really that poor?

To keep things in perspective, I used to play Empire Total War on the 2008 Alu-Mac, using 2gb of system ram and the 9400m via Bootcamp, so I'm shocked this game has such high requirements.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Thought I would try this before I bought it because I was sure the devs were over-statting the amount of ram needed if you're running a 2012 macbook air, and I can confirm that on a 2012 macbook air with only 4gb of ram, the game runs fine :)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Are there any plans for mod wrappers for NTW? If so which ones?

They will all work, mods are made by fans not the original developers, when I have spare time from the more important tasks I usually make the odd Mac mod installer to show how it is done and host them on the Feral website but if you join some modding forums you can do it yourself and even post instructions to help the community.

You could also look at the installer for one of the Empire mods, I comment my scripts so you can see how it works, it's all very simple really.

Edwin

Iago

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Please Eddeduck, can you tell us when empire is patched for mac game centre online gaming?

I have no-one to play with on lan and the only reason I bought empire was because i wanted to verse humans.

It was promised to be added later on, but i wasn't expecting it to take nearly a year.

You also mentioned that it would be done before napoleon was made available....

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Please Eddeduck, can you tell us when empire is patched for mac game centre online gaming?

I have no-one to play with on lan and the only reason I bought empire was because i wanted to verse humans.

It was promised to be added later on, but i wasn't expecting it to take nearly a year.

You also mentioned that it would be done before napoleon was made available....

Your question is answered in post #95 in this thread. ;)

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
You need the 8gb ram version of the 2012 macbook air to play this?! Are the mac video drivers for the HD4000 really that poor?

To keep things in perspective, I used to play Empire Total War on the 2008 Alu-Mac, using 2gb of system ram and the 9400m via Bootcamp, so I'm shocked this game has such high requirements.

If you have 8GB of RAM the OS will allocate more VRAM to the HD4000. Can could play with 4GB of RAM but the game will run slower as the card will not be given the same amount of VRAM.

It's just how OS X works.

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
Pfm

Any chance of Feral making a Pack File Manager or other tools for its Total War games? On TWCenter molders have made these programs for the Windows side and they certainly have helped in creating a large interest in the games.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Any chance of Feral making a Pack File Manager or other tools for its Total War games? On TWCenter molders have made these programs for the Windows side and they certainly have helped in creating a large interest in the games.

The file managers are all created by the modding community, we take the time to make sure the Mac games can install and support mods (All our total war games work with mods).

Personally I have also written installers for some of the more popular mods as examples but we cannot start making modding tools as we are already super busy with making the games! The Mac modding community exists (even if it is a little smaller) hopefully some people will step up and get some tools working natively instead of using VMWare or Parallels.

Edwin

Last edited:

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
The file managers are all created by the modding community, we take the time to make sure the Mac games can install and support mods (All our total war games work with mods).

Personally I have also written installers for some of the more popular mods as examples but we cannot start making modding tools as we are already super busy with making the games! The Mac modding community exists (even if it is a little smaller) hopefully some people will step up and get some tools working natively instead of using VMWare or Parallels.

Edwin

1. How about an installer for LME4?
2. Where does the Mac modding community exist for Mac Total War games?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
1. How about an installer for LME4?
2. Where does the Mac modding community exist for Mac Total War games?

1. If you get it working then I might be able to spare a little time to help. If you want me to do it all myself then it will take a little longer to do as my todo list is quite long right now.
2. All over usually most of the more popular mods have a few Mac users. I know for example Darth Mod works great on the Mac you just need to manually install it.

I do what I can to help the Mac modding community and I have written quite a few installers and converted a number of mods to the Mac, these mods have been downloaded 100,000's of times since I first started making Windows mods work on the Mac with almost all Feral games.

However modding communities thrive when you get community action and effort, I will be make a Napoleon example mod at some time in the future but I have a full time job at Feral producing new games and updates which have to take priority over free modding projects.

If you are keen to help with modding check out some of the modding forums and read the Darth Mod forum on Total War Centre modding website has a few threads on the Mac version, using that information you should be abel to make a start on Napoleon mods as Empire and Napoleon have very similar modding methods.

I am always about to try and assist but porting, testing and writing mods takes up a fair bit of time so I would not turn down any community help :) I can do it on my own but things are easier with more people. As most Empire mods can be GB's in size testing they work can take a fair bit of time as you need to reinstall the game after every test!

When I do an example mod I will see if I can use LME4 as the first example.

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
Thanks for your comments. I am trying to get LME4 to work by installing it manually but so far no love. I am going to give it another shot this weekend and have already moved everything back to square one. Have been emailing with the developer and he has also been very supportive and helpful. :)

klem39

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2010
New Zealand
Large downloads

Taking advantage of the $33 Empire & Rome offer. I loaded the Rome TW no trouble. BUT the 13Gb Empire stuck on 10Gb This using Safari 6.4. I shut down any thing that could interfere After I found out Safari Does not allow any restart. WHY ?? IE had that years ago. Is there any way I can Guarantee it will not happen again. 6 hrs is and long time to wast $$$

BTW I still play Shogun TW Warlord Best yet

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
BUT the 13Gb Empire stuck on 10Gb This using Safari 6.4. I shut down any thing that could interfere After I found out Safari Does not allow any restart. WHY ?? IE had that years ago. Is there any way I can Guarantee it will not happen again. 6 hrs is and long time to wast $$$

Safari does allow restarting downloads (always has) however the store you are downloading from might not support this. Resuming downloading requires a server side support as well as client side.

I don't know the store you bought the game from but you should have a guarantee you download so you will not lose any $$$ as long as you have a product code you own a copy of the game.

If you have lots of problems contact Feral with your Empire product key and we will see if we can give you download access from our servers instead.

Edwin

2n00by4u

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Napoleon Total War Multiplayer with Windows

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is it possible to play with Windows users? If it is not possible via Steam, will something like Game Ranger work?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is it possible to play with Windows users? If it is not possible via Steam, will something like Game Ranger work?

No the game is not cross platform compatible due to how the game was designed.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
napoleon, empire, civ v

any idea which of these will play fine on mac mini 2012 2,3GHz 16GB ram intel hd 4000
Has to run on huge dell screen with res 2560
tx

ps other suggestions are welcome: it's steam deals

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
any idea which of these will play fine on mac mini 2012 2,3GHz 16GB ram intel hd 4000
Has to run on huge dell screen with res 2560
tx

ps other suggestions are welcome: it's steam deals

It is supported but on on min settings/resolution. You cannot play at high resolution using the HD4000 in the Mac mini.

andifauzan

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2014
Empire: Total War Pack Editor

is there any pack editor that available on mac for Empire: Total War?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.