Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaphyrus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
I've had my 11" 2013 MBA for a good month or so and I've realized certain things that make me think my new CTO MBA maybe have not been so new.

First off, after installing Steam I was asked to verify the computer's name and it was automatically named "Greg-PC". Now this was bizarre since the first I installed Steam on my old make it was named "NEW-HOST".

Now today I was messing with my Wifi setting after having a few connectivity/speed issues I decided to mess with the advanced settings and noticed my NET BIOS was also named "Greg-PC".

Is it safe to assume my new CTO MBA may not have been as new as I thought?

richorlin

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
New/Old MBA

Did you buy it from Apple? Sounds like you might have bought it from a reseller who forgot to wipe the drive on a return. Was it cello-wrapped or in an open box? Bring it back to whomever you bought it from. Not much else you an do at this point.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Maybe you're just pulling down the hostname from the last person who had your IP address?

Zaphyrus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Nope I purchased directly through Apple. It weird thing is my computer's name was also Gregs-PC. I'll assume the NETBIOS name of "Gregs-PC" is the name that was associated with the ip address I'm currently using for my router or network.

AppleOfMyOy

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
This is Greg, and I want my computer back.

Oh, man, what are the odds that I would find my missing Air on here????

As it turned out, I had sent my brand new machine back to Apple due to a . .

Oops, just kidding ; )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.