Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Not sure if such a thing exists but I am looking for a light weight Customer Database script which I can host myself.

It only needs to be basic and have two main features be responsive/mobile friendly and allow you to add custom fields.

I have found something similar to what I am looking for here. The only problem is it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and is not mobile friendly. But this gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

I did think about trying to use Wordpress, but we would need to add/update customer info without logging into the WP Admin Panel.

It also has to be web based as the computers we are using are locked down to stop things being installed, we have a less than understanding IT Department :D

Any help and suggestions would be great :)

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
we would need to add/update customer info without logging into the WP Admin Panel. It also has to be web based.

So you want a web based GUI to manage database records but NOT have to login to an admin interface thus exposing the world to your sensitive data???

Unless I am seriously misunderstanding you, that can't be right. Right?

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
I want a login just not into the WP Admin Panel, it over complicates things.

Just want to be able log in via Mobile or PC and be there ready to either browse records or add to database.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
1) Read up on WordPress Custom Fields.
2) Use the latest 2013 theme for 'responsive' capability.
3) Find a free (or paid) front-end login plugin

If you need a custom plugin with custom database tables any developer could crank a simple CRUD ( create / read / update / delete ) with a custom front-end login in about four hours.

Last edited:

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
1) Read up on WordPress Custom Fields.
2) Use the latest 2013 theme for 'responsive' capability.
3) Find a free (or paid) front-end login plugin

If you need a custom plugin with custom database tables any developer could crank a simple CRUD ( create / read / update / delete ) with a custom front-end login in about four hours.

Superb recommendation and resolution path, thanks for joining in, 960design.

One minor thought - maybe it's best to say "with minimal level of effort for an experienced developer" instead of any developer in about 4 hrs. If it takes much longer than x hours due to customizations and don't forget styling and testing, clients can get frustrated (to put it mildly). :rolleyes:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Too right you are SrWebDeveloper.

The timeframe is an estimate. I just wanted the OP to weigh the time/cost ratio with developing their own Vs hiring a pro. I didn't want them hiring a local wahoo and them estimating 40 hours for the job.

For example it could take 10 or more hours just to find and test login plugins until you find one that works for your application. Or you could get lucky and find the right one on your first try.

As a final caveat a pro developer will create exactly what you want in less time, but we charge more per hour... me estimating again, I'd put it at the $70US to $100US per hour.

Styling will take the most time. I find that storyboards and core code takes about 50% of the development time. The other 50% is tweaking a pixel here and there.

Ap0ks

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2008
Cambridge, UK
Not sure if such a thing exists but I am looking for a light weight Customer Database script which I can host myself.

It only needs to be basic and have two main features be responsive/mobile friendly and allow you to add custom fields.

I have found something similar to what I am looking for here. The only problem is it doesn't seem to have been updated for years and is not mobile friendly. But this gives you an idea of what I am looking for.

I did think about trying to use Wordpress, but we would need to add/update customer info without logging into the WP Admin Panel.

It also has to be web based as the computers we are using are locked down to stop things being installed, we have a less than understanding IT Department :D

Any help and suggestions would be great :)
You should check out Podio, it's free for teams of up-to 5 users, allows you to create customised "apps" for various data items and all web-based with mobile apps for iOS and Android.

We use it at work for project management, customer relations and a host of other stuff. Should be able to do exactly what you want it to.

Edit: it's a hosted service so can't be hosted by yourself though.

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

1. Create custom user class in WP
2. Set rules so they don't see WP admin features
3. Rebrand WP admin interface with your own company name

All can be done with free WP plugins

You still have to log in (otherwise you have no security), but most users don't get to see or touch WP admin

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Thanks for all the suggestions people, think I will be giving Podio a try.

I may even be able to move other tasks/lists and databases to it.

Only hope the only Intel Celeron machines with Windows XP Embedded will load the site at a half decent speed :D

Will report back with Pros and Cons!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.