Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Seems that the x100s is slightly more than the xE1/zoom kit. This makes things a bit difficult here (a good difficult at that).

Any pros and cons for each to make one a better option with respect to ease of use and output?

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Seems that the x100s is slightly more than the xE1/zoom kit. This makes things a bit difficult here (a good difficult at that).

Any pros and cons for each to make one a better option with respect to ease of use and output?
I think there are three easy questions that can help you decide:
(1) Do you want an optical viewfinder?
(2) Do you want something small?
(3) Do you want to sacrifice size for lens interchangeability?

I wanted an optical viewfinder, preferred something smaller and wanted lens interchangeability, a clear 2:1 decision.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I picked up a X20 while on vacation in Tokyo a few weeks ago.

After a bit of use I have to say I love it very much. I wasn't expecting much; small 2/3" sensor, limited zoom, crappy battery life. I didn't really want an interchangeable system (not buying another set of lenses), didn't want a compact body with a prime lens (too many limitations). I like the design of the X-series because it looks like a rangefinder.

The low light performance is surprisingly good if your hands are steady, otherwise it gets a bit noisy at ISO1600; the AF is very fast in both daylight and low light. The zoom has good width, but lacks a bit in the tele, but at least it's marked in 35mm equivalents. The aperture dial is a bit hard to use, but it's usable. The built-in flash has good coverage for some fill shots, and optical viewfinder is great, though not very useful [for me] mostly because a quarter of the frame is blocked most of the time. The battery life is actually worse than advertised (which surprised me) even if I used the optical viewfinder as much as possible.

Get a soft release and the Thumbs Up—I feel the combination is essential.

I also have the lens hood and UV filter kit. I think this set is great albeit a bit pricey. Then again a good UV filter from B+W is probably more expensive. The hood is required to screw on filters, thought it does offer bump protection. Instead of the push on cap, you get to use a pinch/snap-on cap.

I had an Sony RX100 before this. Low light performance on the RX100 is a bit better than the X20, but not by much; I didn't like the look and feel of it all, so I gave it to my mother; she seems to love it. Now there is the RX100 Mk2, things should be interesting.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I'm seriously thinking about adding the X100s to complement (but not replace) my dslr. I'm happily tied to Aperture for my workflow.

That was my plan, too.

Now I own an X100, X-Pro1, and not a single DSLR. Oh, and a Leica M6 and a Mamiya 7, to boot.

The X100 was the gateway drug.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I have an X-E1 too. Bought it early this year as a replacement for the lightweight camera I had when I didn't want to carry a DSLR and it's beginning to take over! I just have the 18-55 zoom at the moment which is an excellent lens. It may come with the camera if you choose that option, but it can never be called a kit lens in the usual sense of the word.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but in the Spring I was in Phoenix (glad I'm not there at the moment—50ºC!) doing some conference photos at a hotel. As usual the lighting was very mixed and I'd brought the X-E1 as a back-up to try out. Started out with the 5DII and tried a few photos with the X-E1 and was so impressed with how it coped with the lighting on AutoWB, and the photo quality, that I used it from then on as it's much easier to carry. Next year I'll just take the Fuji and save myself some backache!

I've still got the 5DII and would be very reluctant to part with it as I don't have anything to match the 5DII + 100mm L macro. This year I'm only going to take the Fuji on holiday. It's very liberating to have a camera that doesn't weigh much yet takes quality photos.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Lenses for X series and then some

I am curious as to which lenses anyone finds to be their favourite. Also, anyone use non Fuji lenses whether Leica, Zeiss, Nikon or Canon?

Nothing like sitting on the fence before jumping in. I think I'll ultimately end up with 2 cameras with one being the x100s and still figuring out whether it will be the Pro or the EV1 for the other camera.

Last - I may end up doing some copy stand flat art copy as well as investigating the possibility of using a camera to copy negatives and transparencies with the intention of taking 2-3 images focused slightly differently and merging them (focus center then 2/3 out from center given that often there is a slight curvature to film and especially mounted such as slides)via software meant for enhancing depth of field. Any help would be appreciated.

ECJ

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2006
Memphis, TN
I sold my D7000 gear and bought the X-Pro1 with the 35mm f1.4, and love it. I can fit all my gear on my carry on luggage. Also as said before I have a more emotional connection with the camera. I feel that I take better photos, because I am focusing on what's important.

DSCF3491.jpg

DSCF3179.JPG

DSCF3104.JPG

DSCF2334.jpg

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I'd go for the 35mm 1.4 if it wasn't for the fact that the 18-55 is so good! This has a maximum aperture of f3.6 at 35mm though so maybe one day I'll take the plunge.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Well I finally pulled the trigger and got the X-E1 with the standard zoom. I still want the x100s but perhaps end of the year or early next year.

Question - what post processing software do you folks use for the RAF files?

Aperture
Lightroom
Photoshop
Capture 1
Silky Pix
or.....?

It seems that each have their strong points and some areas of weakness. My goal would be to eventually take the raw files and convert to tiff and go to Photoshop. I did read about a raw file tool/converter called Iridient Developer that looked promising. I am still very old school in that I liked to retain as much information on the original as possible (days of yore - negs and transparencies). - I feel the same about raw to tiff.

Any thoughts?

after note - someone above mentioned the Mamiya 7 - a really great camera. I have a Fuji 645w which also a range finder style camera with a great lens. I wish Fuji would consider making a new camera akin to the above with a larger sensor and jump from 16 to say 32. - an X100s on steroids.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
The X100s is the best camera I have ever owned, the more I use it, the more I fall in love. It's a camera that makes me want to take pictures.

Its classical user interface appeals to me, as does the optical viewfinder. Yes, the Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A and Sony RX1 are nice cameras, but you don't use them like a classical camera. The X100s can be used like my father's rangefinder from 1963 -- if I want to. Or I can have the live histogram and a level directly in the (optical as well as electronic) viewfinder.

There are so many little niceties, just to give you one of them: I use the optical viewfinder of my X100s, but when I snap a picture the camera switches to the electronic viewfinder and shows me the photo I've just taken for 1/2 second (you can configure the duration or whether you want this feature at all). On my dslr, I need to take my eyes off the viewfinder, press play, check the exposure and do it again. With the X100s, I can take a picture, check the exposure, dial in an exposure compensation and take another photo.

Whatever good things you've read about the image quality in the reviews, they're right, this camera produces exceptional images.

(I'm the guy on the right wearing the Daringfireball T-shirt.)

Whether 35 mm equivalent focal length is right for you depends on, well, you. I already own a Sigma DP1 with a 28 mm equivalent lens, and I prefer 35 mm by a wide margin.

If you're concerned about the AF being slow, don't be. Yes, my dslr focusses faster with certain lenses (certainly not all of them), but focussing doesn't feel like you hold a compact camera in your hands. In terms of being able to find focus, the X100s' capabilities are comparable to my D7000: at a certain point, there just isn't enough contrast for a focus lock. But then it is pitch black dark.

Does the camera feel slow? Nope. Not as fast as my dslr, but I don't have to wait for it.

Do you have any other questions?

If I was God of my own camera universe, what would I want in my X100ss? I'd like to use TTL with my SB-700 and SB-600, and I'd like to iron out one or two things in the firmware (really, really minor things). Plus, I'd like to replace the main menu selector (the one with the wheel) by something that feels as good as the knobs on the top of the camera. And I'd like the battery to last longer (my D7000 lasts >1000 shots on a single charge, the record being ~1700 on a single battery, so I'm used to a lot more).

Disclaimer: I also own a D7000 with 5 lenses, two flashes and various goodies.

This is great to hear my x100s is should be arriving tomorrow :)

Do you happen to know if is suffers from a slow start up time with a big card? Ken rockwell says it can be very sluggish to wake with a 32gb card..many others say its fine (and well its ken rockwell so taking with a pinch of salt)

Also any views on shooting RAW's a lot of people seem to saying the jpegs are that nice the're not shooting RAWs

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

Do you happen to know if is suffers from a slow start up time with a big card? Ken rockwell says it can be very sluggish to wake with a 32gb card..many others say its fine (and well its ken rockwell so taking with a pinch of salt)

Also any views on shooting RAW's a lot of people seem to saying the jpegs are that nice the're not shooting RAWs

Yeah, the Fuji jpegs are great. Much nicer than what I used to get from my NEX. I keep shooting RAW+Jpeg thinking that the jpeg won't look right. Put the RAW through Lightroom and still can't get it to look as good. As for the card, surely if you got the fastest available, start up might be a bit quicker?

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
Yeah, the Fuji jpegs are great. Much nicer than what I used to get from my NEX. I keep shooting RAW+Jpeg thinking that the jpeg won't look right. Put the RAW through Lightroom and still can't get it to look as good. As for the card, surely if you got the fastest available, start up might be a bit quicker?

That's what I thought I got a Sandisk extreme (cant remember exactly) but was a fast one.

Here's what Rockwell says though

"Memory Cards

Use no more than a 16 GB card. Larger cards can take very long — like 20 seconds — for the X100 to recognize every time it wakes up.

Use only SanDisk or Lexar cards. Any other brand is taking chances I can't afford, even if your local camera store pushes them because he buys them for less."

If it does not prob I can return the card and buy two 16gb, but wondered if it only happened on a full card as might not fill my card up before my 7 days to return are up.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
That's what I thought I got a Sandisk extreme (cant remember exactly) but was a fast one.

Here's what Rockwell says though

"Memory Cards

Use no more than a 16 GB card. Larger cards can take very long — like 20 seconds — for the X100 to recognize every time it wakes up.

Use only SanDisk or Lexar cards. Any other brand is taking chances I can't afford, even if your local camera store pushes them because he buys them for less."

If it does not prob I can return the card and buy two 16gb, but wondered if it only happened on a full card as might not fill my card up before my 7 days to return are up.

You might get a quicker answer in the X100S section of http://www.fujix-forum.com. I use an X-E1 but only have a fast 8GB card in it so far.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I have a 16 GB card and haven't noticed any strange hiccups. Between flicking the switch and putting the camera to my eye, the camera is usually switched on.

Note that the section you quote does not concern the X100s, but its predecessor, the X100 (without s).
So your problem is that the in-camera jpg conversion is so good that fewer people need/want to use it ;)
If that's the biggest criticism of the camera ... :D

Question - what post processing software do you folks use for the RAF files?
I use Aperture and have not noticed any problems with the conversion quality, quite the contrary. I don't know what magic pixie dust Fuji sprinkles on its sensors, but the D7000's RAW conversions feel a bit, hmmm, cold. The Fuji handles skin tones better (this is a purely subjective judgement, nothing based on measurements or systematic comparisons, though.

Personally, I would choose the RAW converter that suits your workflow best. If you really feel the need, install Silky Pix to treat some special images.
I wish Fuji would consider making a new camera akin to the above with a larger sensor and jump from 16 to say 32. - an X100s on steroids.
Noooo! I don't see the point, a larger sensor would seriously make the X100s a worse camera in many aspects, most importantly price and possibly also size. Going from 16 to 32 megapixels would not be beneficial in most situations and would require a more sophisticated lens (heavier and even more expensive, slower AF since you need more accuracy).

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I have a 16 GB card and haven't noticed any strange hiccups. Between flicking the switch and putting the camera to my eye, the camera is usually switched on.

Note that the section you quote does not concern the X100s, but its predecessor, the X100 (without s).

So your problem is that the in-camera jpg conversion is so good that fewer people need/want to use it ;)
If that's the biggest criticism of the camera ... :D

I use Aperture and have not noticed any problems with the conversion quality, quite the contrary. I don't know what magic pixie dust Fuji sprinkles on its sensors, but the D7000's RAW conversions feel a bit, hmmm, cold. The Fuji handles skin tones better (this is a purely subjective judgement, nothing based on measurements or systematic comparisons, though.

Personally, I would choose the RAW converter that suits your workflow best. If you really feel the need, install Silky Pix to treat some special images.

Noooo! I don't see the point, a larger sensor would seriously make the X100s a worse camera in many aspects, most importantly price and possibly also size. Going from 16 to 32 megapixels would not be beneficial in most situations and would require a more sophisticated lens (heavier and even more expensive, slower AF since you need more accuracy).

I appreciate your input on all of this. I'll play around with raw converters starting with Lightroom and CS6 PS since I have them already. I'll also check out Fuji's offering Silky and Aperture. I just want to get a good workflow that delivers decent results that can be tweaked later if needed. Something akin to good information or maxed info.

As for a larger x100s, well if you ever saw or used the Fuji 645 cameras, I think you might have a change of heart. Really excellent cameras, not too heavy and moderately fast fixed lens. Catch is, they shoot vertical 6x4.5. I will say that when used properly, most people swear the transparencies were from a Hassie or Rollei. - A big Fuji would be more or less a pro camera.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
As for a larger x100s, well if you ever saw or used the Fuji 645 cameras, I think you might have a change of heart. Really excellent cameras, not too heavy and moderately fast fixed lens.
I've seen (but not used) Fuji's medium format rangefinders, they're excellent by any account. But the main appeal of Fuji's X series is that they are affordable and small. I would not have been able to afford an X100s with a full frame sensor (priced on the same level as the RX1), it's as simple as that. And to me, the affordability of rangefinder-style professional, digital cameras with modern features is what makes (or breaks) the appeal.
Catch is, they shoot vertical 6x4.5. I will say that when used properly, most people swear the transparencies were from a Hassie or Rollei. - A big Fuji would be more or less a pro camera.
The X Pro 1 and the X100s are already used by quite a few pros.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I've seen (but not used) Fuji's medium format rangefinders, they're excellent by any account. But the main appeal of Fuji's X series is that they are affordable and small. I would not have been able to afford an X100s with a full frame sensor (priced on the same level as the RX1), it's as simple as that. And to me, the affordability of rangefinder-style professional, digital cameras with modern features is what makes (or breaks) the appeal.

The X Pro 1 and the X100s are already used by quite a few pros.

We totally agree about the size facet of the x100 and x100s along with the other two cameras. Of the other two cameras, just buying a 2nd Fuji lens puts the price up to near 2000 and more. This makes it akin to SLR cameras with a decent non-kit zoom. For me, the idea of a rather compact X100-645 is interesting as it is not a very deep camera so it too could be carried rather easily in a "jacket" pocket. Given there would be no need for film space, the camera should be smaller with the same taking lens perhaps. No matter, its all just wishful thinking for some of us.

Btw, I really do enjoy the Fuji X-e1 as I am learning the ropes for best handling and options. I have the kit lens which really is quite an amazing lens. I think I'll later check out the reviews on some of the other lenses and for fun get an adapter for one Nikon F(AiS) macro lens and try it out (105mm). Also looking forward to more reviews on a new adapter that has a lens within so that a "105" as example gives you a real 105mm from edge to edge and supposedly the light gathering ability makes it a stop faster than the actual lens. I don't recall the name but it might be Metabones. Nice to get back to shootings and joining the Fuji X family.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
First time around with X-E1

I have not had time to learn the controls entirely of the camera but took it along on a trip I had to take and figured at night, in the hotel I could start to learn how to use the camera properly.

Much to my chagrin, there was a very intense fire near by that raged through the day, into the night and continued on the next day and probably is still going on.

I set the X-E1 to auto 6400, and auto for aperture and shutter. I figured this was pretty much point and shoot and gave a try taking a few photos.

While the daytime photos came out 'doable,' (shot RAW plus jpeg) I was blown away by shooting after midnight and capturing both smoke and some flame from a fire that was about 2-3 miles away. This was shot with the kit zoom lens hand held. Given some of my own challenges and foibles and this "preview" of how well the camera does, I am extremely glad I made the purchase. It will be a nice return to photography for me.

My only challenge now is having to deal with Adobe. I do some side work with CS6 PS and there stupid on line subscription service plan will not so slowly phase out CS products as a home or business bought software. Now off to investigate Silky, Lightroom, Aperture, ACR, and a few other software reviews for processing the RAF files. I did bring up the RAF and jpeg counterpart in Apple's preview (I believe it uses the same RAW converters as Aperture) and saw some differences between each file. Both were very usable as is. The praise of the jpegs is fully deserved.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Just a little more to add to this thread -

I wanted to get the 50-200 xf zoom and sadly, seems all my sources (including the big A on line) are back ordered. Only options were sellers that decided to up the price due to limited supplies. So, I'll have to wait a bit.

What bags, accessories, lenses and tripods do you folks have in your Fuji camera arsenal?

I have my old faithful if not over sized tripod (Gitzo), RRS L-bracket, the camera and now two lenses which I really love (kit and the 35mm 1.4). I am hoping to get the second zoom later as stated and for now, looking for camera bags as my old bags are just way too large. I did play with the Thinktank Retrospective 5 but honestly, it just wasn't right for me and unsure why it is so popular at the price it is offered.

Any takers?

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Just a little more to add to this thread -

I wanted to get the 50-200 xf zoom and sadly, seems all my sources (including the big A on line) are back ordered. Only options were sellers that decided to up the price due to limited supplies. So, I'll have to wait a bit.

What bags, accessories, lenses and tripods do you folks have in your Fuji camera arsenal?

I have my old faithful if not over sized tripod (Gitzo), RRS L-bracket, the camera and now two lenses which I really love (kit and the 35mm 1.4). I am hoping to get the second zoom later as stated and for now, looking for camera bags as my old bags are just way too large. I did play with the Thinktank Retrospective 5 but honestly, it just wasn't right for me and unsure why it is so popular at the price it is offered.

Any takers?

I use a Domke 5XB. I can put the X-E1 with 18-55 and lens hood in there plus some bits and pieces such as a notebook, pen, money and a bar of something to nibble on if I get hungry! You could get another lens in there too, or an X100 if you reversed the lens hood.

I've only shot jpegs on the X-E1. I've also heard from others that the jpegs are quite robust and will take a fair amount of manipulation.

How are you finding the X100S? Hope it arrived ok. You might find some inspiration in the work of Brian Kraft, well worth a look imo.

I read recently that one reason for a sluggish start (the person was referring to the X-Pro at the time but I'd imagine it applies to the series) is that if, when transferring photos using a reader or putting the card directly into the pc, the card is pulled out without being closed down properly it can cause that problem. Fuji also recommends formatting the card in camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.