Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Hello

I will be buying an unlocked Iphone for use here in USA and also overseas (GSM). My question is, is the Iphone 5 worth 100 bucks more than the 4S ?

I can afford it, but only if it is justified. My usage is phone/text/internet browsing (little to no video, youtube, etc, little to none), and still photo taking.

I will use wi-fi only for internet, not a data plan.

I will get an Ottobox case for it also.

Thank you

Last edited:

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Hello

I will be buying an unlocked Iphone for use here in USA and also overseas (GSM). My question is, is the Iphone 5 worth 100 bucks more than the 4S ?

I can afford it, but only if it is justified. My usage is phone/text/internet browsing (little to no video, youtube, etc, little to none), and still photo taking.

Thank you

Since you won't need LTE, i would say go with the 4S.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Hello

I will get an Ottobox case for it also.

Thank you

I say go for the iPhone 5. Is faster with the A6 processor. It will get more future iOS's. It is also going to have less problems than the 4S IMO. More things go wrong on the 4S. it also has the 4" screen as we all know. Go with the iPhone 5, you won't regret it.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Go with the 4S, the 5 feels very cheap compared to the 4/4s. The 5 also is has many more problems with its build quality.

Dust in the camera lens
Failing power buttons
Home buttons not working
iphone 5's bending

the list goes on and on...

Go with the 4S. It's still a very capable phone if you don't need LTE.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Go with the 4S, the 5 feels very cheap compared to the 4/4s. The 5 also is has many more problems with its build quality.

Dust in the camera lens
Failing power buttons
Home buttons not working
iphone 5's bending

I have never had any of those problems in 9 months.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Dust in the camera lens
Failing power buttons
Home buttons not working
iphone 5's bending

Not my iPhone 5. I've got a fine, solid-feeling, 2001-black monolith looking iPhone that's working just fine and has no issues!

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
When I first got the 5 I was unimpressed; I didn't like the screen size (the visibility was not really different than the 4S). I got it primarily for LTE, which is absolutely worth any change. Even if you're not going to use it, the 5 is worth the upgrade. Only reason not to would be if you have tons of devices that are made for 30 pin connectors. Also, I would expect a nice price drop for the 5 when the 5S is released. The difference may be less than you think.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
save your $100 for some quality headphones or what not.

the 4S won't let you down.

as others have mentionned, LTE is the most noticeable difference between the two. if its not a must, skip it.

as for the processor speed, the 4S handles itself very well. ive played games like infinity blade 2 and others without a any lag whatsoever; and it seems to me that you are not the gaming type so thats yet another reason to dismiss the processing power of the iP5.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
With the hundreds (thousands?!) of dollars you'll give to carriers in the States over two years (typical lifespan of phone, even unlocked), I'd say that it's a no-brainer to pay 100$ for a faster, lighter, better phone. They've improved literally every feature over the 4S, and I would say that for the money you'd be paying for unlocked, I wouldn't want a three-and-a-bit year old design.

My 2c.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I did. Once I went back to the 4S it kinda felt like an upgrade. Reminded me how much I missed that solid feeling the 4s gave. Also prefer the glass back.

I agree, the 4S feels nicer. The weight and glass feels really good, but in everything else, it lags the 5.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I don;t find the 4S inferior at all. For a while we were using them side by side, and really didn't see much of a difference. Since, my mother got the 4s and I upgraded to the 5. In day to day activities I really don't think it makes a difference at all. Now, talking iOS7, which is just around the corner, I couldn't say. I've only used iOS7 on an iPhone 5.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
iPhone 4S is really nice. Functionally, these phones work quite similarly. I've been using my launch-day iPhone 4S and don't feel a need to change to the iPhone 5 at all. The apps all run smoothly and there is no notice of lag. The build quality is also fantastic with the steel band and glass back.

The only real difference I notice from handling my family's iPhone 5 versus my iPhone 4S is the taller display which allows for more viewing in portrait orientation (which is nice), and the LTE speeds. The taller screen is great for texting (one of your needs). LTE, however, would be pointless for you.

I wouldn't say either is superior or inferior as they are both functionally the same. Even the camera is pretty much the same. You only get different build material and a taller screen. Of course, you also get the lightning connector, so if your house is full of 30-pins, I'd get the iPhone 4S no questions asked. It makes charging very simple. If you already have a few lightning connectors around, I'd consider getting the 5 simply because it's easier to charge. Maybe I'm too lazy...

kind

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
i dont think iphone 5 is much better than iPhone 4? If yes,do they say more details between them. hope can get your good answer:confused:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I say the 5 as well. The display is definitely better if you text or read a lot in portrait. Also, I didn't think my 4S was slow till I got my 5; it was noticeably faster in every task. The 5 will also keep more apps in memory and ready to use because it has double the RAM. With the 5S around the corner there is no way I'd buy a phone that'll be 2 generations old soon.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
It sounds like the question you need to ask yourself is how much do you want a bigger screen and faster processor. That's pretty much the difference between the two in your case. I would ALWAYS recommend buying a newer phone unless there is some huge sale going on. My dad essentially upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a 5 recently for free with some trade-in deals at Target. He's your average baby boomer, so it's not like he is going to need an A7 or whatever in the next iPhone. But he has mentioned wanting Siri, and this upgrade moves him from 3G to 4G.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
For (guaranteed): Thinner, lighter, LTE, improved camera optics, faster processor, more ram, bigger screen with improved contrast ratios

Against (possibly): Scuffing, bending frame, dusty camera lens, purple haze

I wasn't planning on upgrading my 4s but when my 4s developed a hardware issue, knowing that it would take Vodacom (South Africa carriers are notoriously pathetic in the service department) months to resolve I bought an iPhone 5. I am enjoying this phone a lot more than I anticipated I would.

It is jailbroken and I have lots installed on it. That extra baggage put strain on my 4s but not so on the 5...

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
design is better in ip4s, however ip5 has better specs and LTE... saying this, I would buy ip5 'cause it is a generation over 4s

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I don't have any problems with my 5, the 4s is nice phone too, LTE is the most noticeable difference between the two, If its not a must, get the 4s. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.