Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MG1947

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
MacMini came with Office for MAC and have created documents over time.
Now I want to use Pages, Numbers, etc.
My question is whether or not can I 'convert' Microsoft based documents to Apple based documents?
I'm also comcerned about communicating with other Apple devices, e.g. iPhone and iPad.
All input welcomed

luxborealis

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
Canada
Yes - you can convert - Word to Pages, Excel to Numbers, Powerpoint to Keynote - just by opening them from within the iWorks application. Most of the time, it is a simple conversion except that Numbers does not read Excel Macros and not all Powerpoint transitions and features work in Keynote.

When sending Pages docs to others who may only have Office, I typically send them as PDFs. Pages docs may also be exported as Word docs, Numbers as Excel and Keynotes as Powerpoints, but, again, especially with Keynotes, the transitions may not map over correctly.

Personally, I find Keynote presentations much more satisfying to create and deliver than Powerpoint (still comparatively clunky). Pages does everything for me that I need although not everything that Word does. The weakest link is Numbers - without macros, diagonal or vertical text and some functions it is more limiting as an "Office equivalent" than Pages and Keynote. that being said, the charts are easier to create and edit.

Communicating with other Apple devices is a no-brainer if you Pages, Numbers and Keynote for iPhone/iPad. Even better yet, once iWork in the Cloud is out of beta it will be even easier.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
While the iWork apps can import/export office docs, I found the translation lacking at times. My spreadsheets that come from excel usually have some function or setting removed, because Numbers lacks them, or when saving to xls and opening up in excel the formatting is not what I wanted.

Overall I find Numbers and Pages to be a great app, but I prefer office when dealing with work documents that go out to my team.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
iWork lacks a lot of the complexity within Office.

You will often find formatting can be messed up in iWorks from a a .doc file. As the others have said, compared to excel, numbers is like a blackboard and chalk.

Keynote is good and on par with powerpoint for 99% of things.

Over all Office is a better choice if you will be sending things to none apple users. If everything is staying within a iWorks environment then there is no reason to not get it.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
While the iWork apps can import/export office docs, I found the translation lacking at times. My spreadsheets that come from excel usually have some function or setting removed, because Numbers lacks them, or when saving to xls and opening up in excel the formatting is not what I wanted.

Overall I find Numbers and Pages to be a great app, but I prefer office when dealing with work documents that go out to my team.

Agreed. OP keep in mind that Numbers does not support pivot tables so if you or your team rely heavily on then, you will run into issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.