Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
You should also consider how long you intend to keep this phone? The 4S has the A5 processor, whereas the 5 has the newer A6 processor. As things stand today, there may not be too much of a performance gap between the 4S and the 5; but in a couple of years or more, newer iOS's will widen that performance gap - for example iOS 6 runs smooth on the 5 (and 4S for most intents); however has a lag on the iPhone 4 with its A4 processor.

On top of that, at some point in the next 2 years, Apple will surely hold back future software features from its older hardware - whether capable or not (like Siri and iPhone 4).

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Yes it is much nicer for the reasons stated above. Having said that two friends of mine have both just independently switched from Android phones to the 3GS and iPhone 4 respectively - and are loving it. So it really depends on your usage.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The answer is simple. Wait.

New iPhone will be out in 4-5 weeks.

Unless you are getting 4S for free on contract or the 5 for $99 on 2 year contract. I would wait 4-5 weeks.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Hello

I will be buying an unlocked Iphone for use here in USA and also overseas (GSM). My question is, is the Iphone 5 worth 100 bucks more than the 4S ?

NO.

I've had every model, my 4S was by far the best iPhone.

My iPhone 5 has been a disappointment, the minimal increase in the display is a joke. Being the same width as the 4S, it's just a tiny bit taller all for the purpose of marketing. Just so Apple could say they have a 4" display.

The 4S is by far the best. The savings is icing on the cake. :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
User123, so the replies are split about 50-50. What u gonna do now? ;)

U have no preference whatsoever? Go into a store that has both on display, play with them, never mind what others tell you.

user123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
User123, so the replies are split about 50-50. What u gonna do now? ;)

U have no preference whatsoever? Go into a store that has both on display, play with them, never mind what others tell you.

yes I have done that, and I am at a toss-up. Hence my reaching out to the forum for "experienced" Iphone opinion. This is my first IPhone, never used one in day to day usage before.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Go with the 5.

Its everything that the 4S is but way better.

Especially since you said the money is no object, you really have NO reason to buy a 4S over a 5.

centavar

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Definitely the iPhone 5.

Better in every way, faster(especially with iOS 7 and I imagine with iOS 8), bigger screen and longer support.

Apps and web pages are becoming more and more demanding, and the extra horse power of the 5 will be really appreciated.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
iPhone 5 is better in every way except build quality.
It's not just that use aluminum, which is a soft metal and dents and scuffs, they used a softer aluminum. The iphone 5 is also even less repairable than the iphone 4s. I also feel that the touch sensitivity is not quite the same. There are times when there are dead spots.

I would not expect the iphone 5s to be different than the iPhone 5. There's no sense in hoping. Smartphones have kind of matured and maxed out and until something truly revolutionary smartphone sensor is invented, this revolution has matured.

IVRnJgr

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
Go with the WHITE iPhone 5. The black iPhone 5's paint can be easily removed/scuffed.

iPhone 5 over iPhone 4S:
-Faster
-Bigger
-Upgraded

iPhone 4S over iPhone 5:
-Durable build quality

But it depends on you.

-IVRnJgr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.