Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Ok AGKyle,

What's with the Android app?

I talked about it a bit in a previous reply. We're working on a full version. It's a lot of work and it's taking us longer than our users would like but we'd rather get it right than get it wrong.

See a preview here:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/07/14/1password-new-android-screenshots/

We get asked all the time where the Android app is, but, until we have something to show we just keep tight.

Our standard answer is: We'll tell you more when we can.

That link above was one of those situations :)

We're a small team, so, things take time, we understand people want it now, but rushing things is a bad idea.

Last edited:

heutusops

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2013
thank god i came here, time for an upgrade....:D i hate remembering passwords for so many accounts, i have 7 accounts on different websites which i access regularly, password manager is what i need.:cool:

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
iphone synce

Iphone sync does not work with version 4. I find myself having to use version 3 on my iphone to sync to my mac via USB. I used to sync via wifi and that worked great in 3. Now version 4 for iphone has no way to sync to my Mac. Agile, this sucks. Why does this crap program cost me money when it can't be used to sync? I can't wait to get away from this crap, version on my ipad, mac and iphone don't talk to each other. I run my own server and why can't they all sync to my server via VPN or something simple. Dropbox is for people that don't care about security, so why would a security app like 1password be giving up all your passwords to the govprismbs?

Anyone have a suggestion for another program you buy once and it works on your Mac, iPhone and iPad with a real sync solution? I'd like this other program to be able to import my 1password crap if that's possible. Help me leave this prison.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Sandboxing has potential to be great. But, in the infancy stages it makes things difficult. My hope is that after it matures it'll make things better for everyone. The problem of course is that it's a chicken and egg problem. At some point Apple had to flip the switch or it would never be used, and by flipping the switch (at least on the Mac) there are more people using it and those problems/limitations get discovered and hopefully fixed/improved.

On iOS, it's definitely a security thing, but as Apple has shown with new multi-tasking improvements in iOS 7 that it's all still in flux and has potential to change... here's for hoping iOS improves further in future versions.

There's a positive to everything if you look for them :)

Couldn't agree with you more, I think in Apple's case they chose to be safe rather than sorry, and there are lots of good outcomes to that. But my goodness 1Password if it was integrated into Safari in iOS would be magical.

opq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2004
The excuse for removing Wi-Fi sync is always about everyone's configs. How is Apple's Wi-Fi sync relatively reliable and doable? And why are all of my friends not having any problems with the 1Password 3 wifi sync?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Understood. I'll make sure to mention this to our developers and CEO to see if we can take another look at it in the future. No promises but this is a feature I'd like to see myself. I have a Mac Mini colo'ed and it would be nice to be able to just host it myself.

I'm on your side here, same for the rest of the people in this thread. I hope I'm making that clear. My job is to take the reports from the users, and then take them to the developers.. (does this sound too office space to everyone? :)

Well hopefully it can be implemented soon so I can go back to using it on my Mac, iPad, and work PC. :D

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
We can't really discuss things that weren't in the keynote, but here's a list of things we feel differentiate us.

* We work on Mac, Windows, iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

The last time the Android app was updated was on January 2012, it says a lot about the Android support

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
The last time the Android app was updated was on January 2012, it says a lot about the Android support

I mentioned the Android app a few times in this thread already, but we are working on a full Android application. It's taking time to finish but we hope that in the end our users will like it.

You can see a preview here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/07/14/1password-new-android-screenshots/

We understand that some users are frustrated by the time it has taken to get it released. We get it. Try to remain a little positive though :)

Last edited:

postman1

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Not noisy, just cautious.

WiFi sync if done right is a lot better in the long run for AgileBits than tying yourself to whims of DropBox and iCloud. Dropbox has already bitten you once. What will happen when they do away with free accounts? Because they surely will, and it won't be long. Now YOUR users will have to pay 20USD for the iPhone version, 40USD for the mac version, and 5USD per month for a Dropbox account? Many of them will have to pay that for JUST YOUR APP. I know many people that have moved away from Agile now, simply because the writing is on the wall and now (ver 3 to 4) is the time cut and run.

I imagine there are more people that want Wi-fi sync than there are Android customers for your application. And yet you disparage those wanting WiFi sync, claiming we are just loud and noisy and few in number. Have you done a survey? Or is it just the gut feeling of your small team again? The reality is Android is a lot easier to implement than Wi-fi sync. I imagine Wi-Fi sync died because you don't have the expertise in-house to do it. My guess is the original developer of the Wi-Fi sync quit and you no longer have the talent to implement it. Or it was outsourced originally.

I mentioned the Android app a few times in this thread already, but we are working on a full Android application. It's taking time to finish but we hope that in the end our users will like it.

You can see a preview here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/07/14/1password-new-android-screenshots/

We understand that some users are frustrated by the time it has taken to get it released. We get it. Try to remain a little positive though :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.