Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
honestly i cant see a difference AT all. I initially got a 13" 2013 MacBook Air with a LG screen. and always found it really dark and also wondered what the fuss about the Samsung Screen is all about. So i called apple, told them iam not happy with the screen and they shipped me a second MBA. I got it today, checked and it has a Samsung screen. I put them side to side and NOTHING. I mean ok i have a color profile on the LG but with the profile both look 1000% the same. I heard the Samsung is mouch sharper for text for example - but it really really is the same. Its neither sharper, nor darker nor anything.

Iam a designer so i say i know my **** and see stuff like color differences etc. but its nothing.

I don´t get it so either in 2013 LG got their **** together and the screens are a bit better or i have no idea…

i can post pictures if you guys are interested

Last edited by a moderator:

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
uh yeha the air isnt my work machine just travel friend

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Take a look again in the evening under artificial light, you'll see a difference.

ok tried this under low artificial and no light conditions - had them side by side . i even looked though all of http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ And still NO difference at all. Only 1 minor thing, the LG seems to have better black levels while the Samsung seems to have better white saturation.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I never got suck in this LG vs Samsung thing. What u gonna do, keep returning the darned thing until u hit a Sammy? :rolleyes:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I ended up spending two hours at an Apple store looking at MBAs with screens from the two vendors. I saw some minor variations between the vendors' offerings and also between the screens from the same vendors.

Screens from both vendors looked very good to me. A little different, but very good.

What has been missing from Apple products with screens forever, of course, is resolution independence. *That* would make more of a difference for me than any minor perceived qualitative differences in screens from different vendors on the same product.

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
So i just put them side to side again and had 2 friends over to look at them, we again went though:

pages of text,
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/,
and some test pictures.

Result : NOTHING. No difference at all.

BUT here is the thing:
I had the LG hardware calibrated (Spyder) and are using this profile. With the profile (and i did all tests with it) it looks 10000% the same as the samsung out of the box. With the standart profile it doesnt, obviously.

So it comes to this: The Screens are the same but the calibration is off, if you have a LG screen go get a Spyder Pro (rent it or buy it on amazon and return if you don´t need it) and calibrate it.

So its clear here, the samsung will go home to apple and i keep the LG (because i already set it up)

------

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Closed for clean up.

Thread has been reopened. If you are not interested in discussing the topic at hand, then do not post.

Last edited:

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
thx maflyyn

Also guys its not like iam the first person to notice that there isn´t any kind of difference:

I had my Macbook Air's screen replaced this past week because of a bright spot. It originally had the Samsung screen, which I considered quite good and after reading this thread I felt quite lucky, and now they replaced it with a LG screen.

To be honest, I couldn't tell until I did the Terminal thing. i couldn't believe that it was an LG and that it was also as good as the Samsung, but it was. Then I downloaded the Macrumors profile and now I even think that this screen is better than the Samsung it had originally.

I'm really happy with the quality of the screen, the colors seem more realistic. Text is as sharp as it was with the other one, the LG seems to have better whites and with the Macrumors profile the contrast seems better also.

The only thing that I noticed that would favor the Samsung screen is that the brightness was higher on it, I would keep it at -3 bars and now with the LG I have to keep it at full bars to see the same brightness. But at -3 bars the LG is perfectly usable, its just a matter of personal taste.

So, I don't think there's a big quality gap between the two screens. Sure, maybe someone else would notice things on the LG that I didn't noticed but again... personal taste. I'm happy with it, but I was also happy with the Samsung.

i got LTH116AT01A04 (wtf 3 years old monitor? ) on the new 2013 macbook air 11"

there is no washout no yellow tint but kinda red tint (most noticeable on gary area such as the top bar) and darker in compare....:mad:

i original got the LG one

i went to apple store for replacement they open another macbook have me pick one of them and bring home. along side with the samsung one (which i took it home) the LG one which has a little bit washout and little bit yellow tint but the color on the LG actually better and brightness are noticeable brighter over all look more natural.....overall everything is better then the samsung screen... expect the yellow tint which i don't believe it will be gone overtime.

The samsung screen look red tint compare to LG (maybe because the brightness aren't good as the LG one) but there is no washout.... its hard to pick between the two when they are right in front of you. ::( now that i bought the samsung home becoz i don't like seeing yellow tint but then I'm not happy with the brightness level now i have to use like 4 block more than i am on a LG which suck out my battery faster.

anyway these are my experience to share. from hong kong :apple:

Background: I'm a particularly picky, neurotic person. Some time ago when someone at Apple annoyed me (long story) I called in to customer service and got them to give them the newest iTouch with the most memory for free as an apology and to keep me as a customer. I am the most annoying customer because any real or perceived imperfection will result in me returning your product and if you annoy me in any way I will also end up getting something for free.

Trip to store: So, somehow I stumbled upon this forum and found out that I had an LG screen with a Toshiba SDD. Okay, time for a trip to the Apple store! I am within my 14 days of purchase so this was going to be a breeze of a return (though mind you, had I not been I would have made it happen anyway). Before going to the store I looked at my screen and thought, "this looks really great, I can't wait to see what the Samsung looks like if this is 'dull' and everyone says the letters aren't crisp." I get to the store and the display screen looks amazing--of course this has to be a Samsung screen. I check and it IS a Samsung screen (Toshiba SDD though)! Time to pull out my computer and see the huge difference!

No difference. They looked the same. I compared the pink lotus background. I compared the cosmos background. I compared Word, I compared Notes. I compared every different type of file I could think of in every brightness level and in different types of ambient light and there wasn't a difference. I'm in my 20s and have 20/15 vision ("better" than 20/20) and will notice the most minute differences to the point that I drive others crazy but I couldn't say the Samsung display was better! I wasn't even trying to convince myself that my computer was fine, I was ready to return and get another one without issue, but there just wasn't a point.

So, does that mean Samsung isn't better than LG? Who knows. Maybe I have one of the "good" LG screens, maybe some of you who have labeled LG bad have gotten "bad" LG screens. Maybe Samsung is consistently good and LG is a mixed bag. I don't know. All I know is in my particular case there wasn't the slightest difference. So, if you're in doubt just take your laptop to the store, compare, decide what step to take--I'm keeping my perfect LG screen laptop.

Note: I used the display settings provided by OSXDaily.com. I tried the Samsung screen in other display options and it can easily be made to look flat, dull, etc.. If there's any issue it seems to be settings driven and not inherent quality by brand.

also i will post pictures as promised as soon as i get to my DSLR - i want to make sure the camera settings are the same for the pictures

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I never got suck in this LG vs Samsung thing. What u gonna do, keep returning the darned thing until u hit a Sammy? :rolleyes:

:) You could even start doing the mathematical analysis: "What is the probability of purchasing Macs and waiting for shipping (1-2 weeks) or having to drive to the Apple Store, and getting a Samsung randomly?"

OP, thanks in advance for pictures!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
why don't you calibrate the samsung and see if it looks even better after calibration?

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
why don't you calibrate the samsung and see if it looks even better after calibration?

iam going to get a new hardware calibration tool tomorrow and will then calibrate both screens and finally take the pictures

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
iam going to get a new hardware calibration tool tomorrow and will then calibrate both screens and finally take the pictures

nice! I just returned my LG screened air because I felt that text looked terrible. It may be because I use an ipad with retina and the laptop I used before was a retina macbook pro so my standard may be very high but I use my 2010 iMac and don't find text looks as bad on it as it did on the air despite it having a much lower ppi

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Just picked up the new 11" base 2013 MBA a few days ago with an LG display. Here's my profile calibrated using ColorMunki Photo. All displays are different so YMMV. Enjoy!

Attachments

• MB Air ColorMunki LCD_D65.icc.zip
    21.2 KB · Views: 118

tbolt11

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
compare a 2013 air to a 2011 one. 2011 > 2013....not sure why but they decided a more reflective screen would be better. really is a shame

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I just got one with a samsung after returning my LG, text clearly looks better likely because blacks are more black and whites are more white. It is a clearly visable difference. I calibrated the samsung and LG both using apples calibration software with just my eyes

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
I calibrated the samsung and LG both using apples calibration software with just my eyes

Not a good method to do any form of true comparison for many reasons. It's highly unlikely you can calibrate both displays properly using this tool. In fact, try to re-calibrate your existing Samsung display again using Apple's tool, I bet you will not get the exact same result.

You need a true calibration tool that performs the calibration on both machines under the same lighting conditions. The only real comparision that has merit.

tbolt11

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
compare a 2013 air to a 2011 one. 2011 > 2013....not sure why but they decided a more reflective screen would be better. really is a shame

yeah, I bought a 13" haswell ultimate and comparing them side-by-side to my 2011 there was a noticeable difference in glare. I tried to get over it but using it day-to-day in the typical environments I do the glare really stood out so I returned it. may try one again but ill at least wait to see the new rMBPs

others have noticed as well-
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508037/

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I'm pretty sure if you dig deep enough you'll find a thread along the lines of "Let's make a big deal out of LCD variances, hype it up and get lots of people to return their MacBook Airs because it had vendor A's display... We'll have cheaper refurbished MacBook Airs in no time!" ;)

But seriously... I've unboxed and configured roughly 40 MacBook Airs over the past year or so and have never seen a drastic difference between the two displays. If you get down to it you might see better handling of darks with the LGs and a bit better handling of whites with the Samsungs but by no means is there night/day difference between the two.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I finally have adjusted my screen just right thanks to a program called Gamma Control:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11545/gamma-control

It helped me figure out that the 'native' white point, and gamma on the LG default colour profile are waaaaay off.

Now when I tilt the screen whites no longer turn neon blue! Actually, colours on both the vertical, and horizontal axis have pretty good viewing angles now! My eyes are no longer fatigued by the washed out colours.

I wish I could figure out a way to turn it into a permanent profile without the app running.

Is there any app that will let me edit a colour profile with the gamma values set by this app?

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Folks...if you are really bent and nit pickingly nuts on having your display "perfect" - (a) you really should be doing something which requires such precision and (b) you should be making a small investment to keep things as such.

I bought a ColorMunki a few years ago, what a valuable tool. I do my own digital photo editing and printing. Having my display/printer/paper profiled for proper color management is essential. I need my prints to look like my display or I'd just be better off flushing all that expensive ink and paper down the toilet. It's way to costly to make a mistake or take several trial and errors to get something that looks close.

There are many affordable hardware options depending what you need, all of which are significantly better than Apple's tool or some 3rd party app that needs to be run in the background. Do a little reading on ColorManagement, get the tool that fits your need and your done with this issue for ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.