Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awca22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
A friend of mine is selling me his classic macbook pro 15 mid 2012 here are the specs:
2.6GHz Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge Processor
Crucial Brand 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
Samsung Brand 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 512GB SSD Drive
Hi-Resolution 1680x1050 Screen
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB Video Memory

He made the updates by itself the system was originally 8gb ram and 750 gb hdd; ( he is also including the 8gb ram memory and the hard drive)
Also he is giving me 2 Western Digital My Passport 2TB External USB3 Hard Drives
and a extra 85W Power Supplies.

He is selling me all this for 1955$ I dont know if this is a good deal, I was going to buy a MBA 13 i7 with 256-512gb ssd but he says this is better.

I would be using this for college CAD Software, Adobe Suite and some windows only apps.

Do you think that it would be good to buy my friend laptops or buy a new mba 13?
The battery cycle on his mbp is just 11 cycles.

Thanks hope you can assist me in the decission! He says it is a great deal but I think it is overpowered for me.

Also one of the things I found is that the mba has the new haswell processor and this mbp is still ivy bridge!

PD: Im a mechatronics and electrical engineer student 2 year, I use a lot LABVIEW, MATHLAB, SOLIDWORKS, AUTOCAD.

Last edited:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
A friend of mine is selling me his classic macbook pro 15 mid 2012 here are the specs:
2.6GHz Quad Core i7 Ivy Bridge Processor
Crucial Brand 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
Samsung Brand 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 512GB SSD Drive
Hi-Resolution 1680x1050 Screen
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB Video Memory

He made the updates by itself the system was originally 8gb ram and 750 gb hdd; ( he is also including the 8gb ram memory and the hard drive)
Also he is giving me 2 Western Digital My Passport 2TB External USB3 Hard Drives
and a extra 85W Power Supplies.

He is selling me all this for 1955$ I dont know if this is a good deal, I was going to buy a MBA 13 i7 with 256-512gb ssd but he says this is better.

I would be using this for college CAD Software, Adobe Suite and some windows only apps.

Do you think that it would be good to buy my friend laptops or buy a new mba 13?
The battery cycle on his mbp is just 11 cycles.

Thanks hope you can assist me in the decission! He says it is a great deal but I think it is overpowered for me.

Also one of the things I found is that the mba has the new haswell processor and this mbp is still ivy bridge!

PD: Im a mechatronics and electrical engineer student 2 year, I use a lot LABVIEW, MATHLAB, SOLIDWORKS, AUTOCAD.

wait till the new mbp comes out with new processor. by next two months.

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
If your friend has apple care for the computer then I think it is a fair deal with all the hardware. Your friend might make a little more by removing the upgrades and selling separately. For engineering, the computer is a lot more powerful than the air and the higher res screen is better for labview, etc. Without apple care I would be very hesitant to put $2,000 towards something that may fail the day after you get it, thereby costing you a lot of money and possibly souring a friendship.

xnview

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2013
I don't think it's overpowered for engineering school, and the price seems good. I think you could manage with the MBA though if you prefer the portability and and battery life.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If comes with....

AppleCare and all the equipment and upgrades work without problems, there are not cosmetic or other functional issues, I can say, a good deal can be done in this.

Myself being an engineer, I would say, we always need more power.......:D

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.