Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msavwah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Oahu
Mod please move as appropriate, I don't know where to post this.

All of this waiting for Haswell rMBP led to this post.

Just some thoughts I'm having about Apple and I would like to know yours.

This year so far I have seen an amazing MBA that is available for purchase now.
The new basestations and time capsules are welcome updates as well.

Other than that I have seen some very exciting previews of iOS7, Mavericks, iTunes Radio and a radical Mac Pro.

It seems as if all year long we have heard about a busy fall, and an army of new products.

My questions are why is everything happening in the fall?
Does the preview of the Mac Pro give us a glimpse into even more amazing breakthroughs, or is that the best we will see?

Will Apple enter a new product category?
Will we see Apple make a major move into gaming and media in the living room?
Wearable tech?

Just what IS Apple up to?

With all of this waiting do you expect something new and exciting?
If we get only what we have already seen, will that be enough for you or will you be losing faith in Apple?

Is anyone else hoping for just one more thing?

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
They're building the new iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, cheap iPhone, iWatch, probably a new MBPr. And I hope they're also innovating into new technologies that will put them back into leading toward new products. Right now they've enjoyed a lot of success with some awesome products, largely supported with the awesomeness of the app store, but others are closing in and creating their own versions so it's time for something new from Apple.

I don't doubt their ability to bring something new to the market. They've always been a leader (iPod, iPhone, app store, etc) and it's about time to refresh that stance and do something to enhance their image again beyond refreshing the product line. The Mac Pro, whether you like it or hate it, is proof they're still innovating into things nobody else has done before.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
They're building the new iPhone 5s, iPad Mini, cheap iPhone, iWatch, probably a new MBPr. And I hope they're also innovating into new technologies that will put them back into leading toward new products. Right now they've enjoyed a lot of success with some awesome products, largely supported with the awesomeness of the app store, but others are closing in and creating their own versions so it's time for something new from Apple.

I don't doubt their ability to bring something new to the market. They've always been a leader (iPod, iPhone, app store, etc) and it's about time to refresh that stance and do something to enhance their image again beyond refreshing the product line. The Mac Pro, whether you like it or hate it, is proof they're still innovating into things nobody else has done before.

Very well said, especially with regard to Mavericks and the last part about the MP.

I don't think that people will generally be be impressed by the 5S (which is very important to Apple because it's their biggest revenue stream) even though it is rumoured to have a fingerprint scanner. To me, that's innovative. However, a lot of people on these forums dismiss it as gimmicky and boring.

Many are clamouring for a larger display, which we probably won't get till 2014, unless Apple pulls a fast one and releases an iPhone 6 with a larger display this fall. Even then people will say Apple's late to the game and not innovative. There's no pleasing some people :rolleyes:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Well.....

they have a lot to deploy in fall season, based in certainity: Two new models of iPhone and the Mac Pro revamped, new iPad. Also iOS 7 and Mavericks.

I would not hold my breath, tough, in refreshes to the Mac mini, iMac and even rMBP lines. Maybe this later have a go....

And yet we have rumors for the iWatch, iTV and iPad mini with Retina (not seeing them until 2014, I can assume....)....

:):apple:

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I would not hold my breath, tough, in refreshes to the Mac mini, iMac and even rMBP lines. Maybe this later have a go....

They have to issue a refresh this fall, at least for the laptops. Every other OEM is pushing out Haswell/4th gen Intel chips. It would be ridiculous to wait until 2014 for something that came out in June 2013.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
But why everything in the 3Q+4Q?

I know we've had the Haswell Macbook Airs already this year and possibly they couldn't release the rMBP's with Haswell at the same time because Intel couldn't supply the demand.

However, why is it that Apple is releasing most of their products towards the end of the year. I get that holiday season is the biggest present buying time of the year but one might have thought it would be better to stagger the release of products throughout the year.

Therefore at the very least we should be soon getting the iphone 5S and its cheaper version iphone 5C. We should be seeing the ipad 5 and ipad mini 2 and in addition the rMBP with Haswell.

This slate of products would surely see Apple break revenue and profit records for the upcoming quarter.

Does this mean they are keeping back new products until 2014? Signs suggest an iWatch within the next 12 months if not much sooner. A newer version of :apple:TV is probable with new features as Apple continues to reach content deals with media companies and broadcast channels.

I think Apple does need to bring out a brand new product in 2014 - but it will probably be only one - just like the iphone and ipad in years past. I could see an iWatch replacing the ipod nano yet being so much more as it could receive your notifications and sync with iCloud.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
My questions are why is everything happening in the fall?

My theory is this. Product launches happen in the fall for two reasons. Firstly because a significant portion of Apple customers buy new computer equipment to go to college with. Secondly, the most lucrative time for any tech company is Christmas. Most tech companies (that sell to consumers) launch products in August/September so that they can establish themselves in the marketplace before the Christmas sales period.

Does the preview of the Mac Pro give us a glimpse into even more amazing breakthroughs, or is that the best we will see?

iMacs and laptops are fast catching up with what the vast majority of tech users need, even those with higher end needs (as opposed to desires). The Mac Pro market is a small one and shrinking. I suspect that this is the best we will see for some time, as Apple won't want to throw money into this shrinking market.

I suspect R&D in all computer manufacturers will be focused on getting more processing ability and lower power consumption into chips that can be used in tablets and ultra-light laptops. That's where the tech future is.

Will Apple enter a new product category?
Will we see Apple make a major move into gaming and media in the living room?
Wearable tech?

Apple won't enter a new product category until it can do something special there. They weren't the first with a music player, touch-screen phone, or tablet. But when they did launch their versions of these products they were so special they redefined their product category.

I do not think we will see Apple enter gaming. Games consoles are a dying market. The companies that make games for them are struggling to survive or failing due to the increased capabilities of tablets and smartphones.

I suspect that when the Apple TV set (rather than the set top box) is launched this will be their entry into the 'media in the living room' category.

I think wearable tech is too new a market for Apple to enter seriously. Most such devices (eg Nike Fuelband) struggle with battery life. I suspect they are exploring it, but don't forget they explored the idea of tablets from the late 1970s. The first ipad launched in 2010. Apple TV has been a 'hobby' for them for some time too.

Just what IS Apple up to?

With all of this waiting do you expect something new and exciting?
If we get only what we have already seen, will that be enough for you or will you be losing faith in Apple?

Is anyone else hoping for just one more thing?

Apple is sticking to the formula that's worked for it throughout the Steve Jobs years. High quality products that are easy to use.

For September 10th I'm expecting a newly improved iPhone 5S, and a showcase for iOS 7 and nothing more.

Great innovation doesn't happen every day, week, or year. Spec battles don't usually matter unless they significantly affect performance for basic users. In the PC World, spec battles were (are?) common, but often performance was (is?) materially the same for almost all users. This is because the newest high power processor chips are often throttled back to work with the rest of the computer's tech, and avoid overheating. Manufacturers still promote them as having the latest and greatest processor chips anyway.

I'm not sure there's anything that new and exciting out there. A lot of Samsung's unique phone features aren't the type of thing most people use. Bigger screens affect portability. Like a lot of people I want a phone that will fit in my jeans pocket and not feel uncomfortable as I go about my day.

I'm not hoping for 'one more thing'. But it would always be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.