Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hi guys, I have a 500GB USB external HDD that I use for backups. There is a single partition on the HDD and it is encrypted via TrueCrypt. TrueCrypt has a client for Windows, OS X, and Linux. I have been able to successfully mount and backup from both my Windows and Linux PC but NOT my OS X MBP. TrueCrypt installs and loads up fine but when I try to mount the volume, it gives me the following error:

Truecrypt error: hdiutil: attach failed - no mountable file systems

Trying to mount it in read-only mode doesn't help either....Any ideas :confused:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: hdiutil...

Hi,

The hdiutil error means that the OS did not recognize your volume partition in order to mount its partition. This can sometimes be remedied simply by adding a small second partition to the volume that can be mounted by the OS. It sounds like you are using the "partition" TrueCrypt strategy and not the "container file" method, so I would suggest adding a second (unencrypted) partition that can be mounted by Mac OS. This may solve the hdiutil error problem.

Good luck,
Switon

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Thanks for the reply but it seems like the partition got corrupted somehow...It was working just fine on Windows and Linux the other day but after getting all these errors, I wanted to double check and boom...Didn't work under those either. I re-formated the drive (encrypted NTFS partition) and now it is working under Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.04, and OS X 10.8 :D

FYI, I originally was using Paragon for NTFS, then OS X Fuse + NTFS-3G, but am now using Tuxera NTFS because it natively supports Mountain Lion and has been error free for me so far...Even when it comes to TrueCrypt!

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Thanks for the info...

FYI, I originally was using Paragon for NTFS, then OS X Fuse + NTFS-3G, but am now using Tuxera NTFS because it natively supports Mountain Lion and has been error free for me so far...Even when it comes to TrueCrypt!

Hi d4m1r,

So, I take it that you would suggest using Tuxera over Paragon? I've read similar recommendations elsewhere.

Thanks, and glad you got it working,
Switon

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hi d4m1r,

So, I take it that you would suggest using Tuxera over Paragon? I've read similar recommendations elsewhere.

Thanks, and glad you got it working,
Switon

Yes, atleast for Mountain Lion I would....Paragon used to be the staple OS X NTFS solution but they have been slow to act on 10.8.

While it isn't free, Paragon is the latest and greatest NTFS provider for OS X I'd say. Paragon NTFS is a continuation of NTFS-3G for OS X which seems to be dead?

kskop12

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2013
Similar problem, hdiutil error on Truecrypt volume

Hi there, I'm having a similar problem related to an encrypted file volume and I'm wondering if someone here could help. I'm trying to restore a TrueCrypt volume (a 10GB container I created) from a TimeMachine backup. The most recent versions of this file does not mount - I get the above mentioned "hdiutil: attach failed - no mountable files systems" . Strangely, When I go to my OLDEST time machine back ups - from about 8 months ago, and choose the file there, it mounts fine. SO, something happened to the file along the way as it was being backed up and I can't mount the latest version of it. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this to work? I have tried mounting it on my 10.8.4 and my 10.6.8 systems, and get the same error. I have made sure I have the latest version of MacFuse installed. I tried mounting in SafeMode and it doesn't work either.
One clue is that when I clicking the "read only" option in TrueCrypt, and checking the box for "do not mount" , it seems to load the file in True Crypt as a "hidden" file type, but of course I can't see the contents of the container anywhere because the volume is not mounted. Can anyone help here? Thanks so much - apologies in advance if I missed something obvious!

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
^That is a totally different problem so it would probably be better if you started your own topic....

Going back to my own issue, I later figuired out it is my linux partition that is corrupting the volume (for some unknown reason). I can use the same partition (read and write) interchangabliy under both Windows and OS X without corrupting it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.