Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egexperiment626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Connecticut
I currently have a 2008 17" Macbook Pro that's already had the battery and the motherboard replaced. Plus, I dropped it once so one of the corners is banged up that stops it from closing. It's also having tons of other issues, so point is I need a new computer. Since I use my iPad for traveling I don't have a real need for a laptop, so I was looking at a 27" iMac.

My question is when are the new batch of iMacs coming out? I've heard October, i've heard mid-fall, I've heard nobody knows. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really hate to buy one only to get an announcement a week later.

As a follow up... I will be using the computer for photo editing, writing, design, and maybe a little bit of video editing... youtube/blog stuff mostly. Is the iMac enough or should I be looking at the Mac Pro?

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If some.....

iMac is coming this year, I would say they come with Haswell CPU maybe. More options and pricing in the Fusion drive. And this is a BIG maybe: Better GPU.

But if Apple put an update to the iMac line this year, that would means a drop in price for the 2012 models. And the same can occur in the case of the Mac Pro, when the new model goes out.

But for your intended uses a 2012 iMac can suffice. But I will have hard time if get a deal in a 2010 Mac Pro.....:D

:):apple:

egexperiment626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Connecticut
Didn't think about price drops or looking at past Pros. Hmm.

Thanks, that gives me some more things to think about other than "I want the newest"!

Now if I can only decide between Adobe CS6 or CC.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
No offense intended, but there's multiple discussions on this page asking when they're coming out and despite what some people are convinced of no one really knows.

And I do professional design and development as well as some 3d animation on a Mac Mini, the current or next gen iMac would be more than sufficient for you.

egexperiment626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Connecticut
No offense intended, but there's multiple discussions on this page asking when they're coming out and despite what some people are convinced of no one really knows.

And I do professional design and development as well as some 3d animation on a Mac Mini, the current or next gen iMac would be more than sufficient for you.

No offense taken, did a quick search it nothing seemed to fit my line of thinking. You would think, logically, Apple would want to capture the back to school market, but then some things just defy logic. I'm just being impatient and with both my ipad & laptop on their last legs I want something new NOW! :D And I know I don't need a Pro, they are just so pretty.

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I currently have a 2008 17" Macbook Pro that's already had the battery and the motherboard replaced. Plus, I dropped it once so one of the corners is banged up that stops it from closing. It's also having tons of other issues, so point is I need a new computer. Since I use my iPad for traveling I don't have a real need for a laptop, so I was looking at a 27" iMac.

My question is when are the new batch of iMacs coming out? I've heard October, i've heard mid-fall, I've heard nobody knows. Anyone have any ideas? I'd really hate to buy one only to get an announcement a week later.

As a follow up... I will be using the computer for photo editing, writing, design, and maybe a little bit of video editing... youtube/blog stuff mostly. Is the iMac enough or should I be looking at the Mac Pro?

They're coming tomorrow afternoon at 4PM. I was talking to my buddy who has a a cousin whose friend who used to work at Apple in 1982 who still has connections there find out for me. :D

With all due respect this site isn't called Mac RUMORS for nothing, at the very best that is all you are going to get.

egexperiment626

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2013
Connecticut
They're coming tomorrow afternoon at 4PM. I was talking to my buddy who has a a cousin whose friend who used to work at Apple in 1982 who still has connections there find out for me. :D

With all due respect this site isn't called Mac RUMORS for nothing, at the very best that is all you are going to get.

Now way! OMG, I need to leave for the store note so I'm first in line. :D I get that it's rumors, and until recently it seemed like you could almost predict Apples movements... From the rumors. Or maybe it was Jobs movements you could predict. But this whole year seems off, and maybe they are changing things up or maybe it's Cook. But I'm spoiled and I want it now!

In all seriousness, phoenixsan had some interesting thought points about the current fitting needs and price points etc, and it was something I really didn't think about. So as redundant or pointless as this thread might have been I'd did give me something to think about and a bit of a chuckle. And that's all you can ask for in a convo.

Now I should see if I get as lucky on the Adobe message boards. :rolleyes:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i am waiting too for the new imac, especially for the 780M(780MX) and wifi ac and probably the faster fusion drive(with 256ssd)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It will be a tough choice, to buy new or to buy a refurb old model.

The 2012 model I am looking at has 16GB RAM and 1TB fusion drive (I don't really care about the RAM upgrade, but it was the cheapest 27" with fusion drive) was just over $2000. If that drops below $1500 then I will probably go with that since I can have a wired gigabit connection and wireless AC won't do much for me.

I am hoping that they make the fusion drive standard on all models, or at least on the 27" though. In that case I may go with a new machine.

All I know is that I am not going to buy a desktop without an SSD ever again. My old desktop machine crawls when doing simple things like extracting a zip file.

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
It will be a tough choice, to buy new or to buy a refurb old model.

The 2012 model I am looking at has 16GB RAM and 1TB fusion drive (I don't really care about the RAM upgrade, but it was the cheapest 27" with fusion drive) was just over $2000. If that drops below $1500 then I will probably go with that since I can have a wired gigabit connection and wireless AC won't do much for me.

I am hoping that they make the fusion drive standard on all models, or at least on the 27" though. In that case I may go with a new machine.

All I know is that I am not going to buy a desktop without an SSD ever again. My old desktop machine crawls when doing simple things like extracting a zip file.

I was looking at the same model and just saw it disappeared from their refurbished options

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.