Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly launched an over-the-air update to its Apple Store app today, replacing its first free content offering, Color Zen, with the children's book Away in My Airplane by Margaret Wise Brown.

The free iBook offering was detailed in a note to Apple's retail employees this morning (via 9to5Mac), notifying them that the download is intended to give them a reason to discuss the iBooks app and the iBookstore when communicating with customers.

applestoreapp.jpg
Earlier this month, Apple launched an "iBooks Discovery" initiative, providing its employees with free iBooks in order to prepare them for the launch of OS X Mavericks and iOS 7. Mavericks will include the first Mac iBooks app, allowing users to read ePub files on their desktop computers.

Apple has begun offering free content via its Apple Store app in order to entice customers to download and visit the app on a regular basis, increasing their exposure to Apple products. The effort is part of a push to boost in-store sales of the iPhone, as 80% of Apple's iPhone customers purchase their phones at third party retail locations. In a July meeting, Tim Cook noted that he would like to increase the company's iPhone sales, as it is considered to be Apple's central "gateway product."

Apple has also initiated other programs to increase iPhone sales, including an upcoming trade-in program and a Back to School program that offers customers a $50 gift card with the purchase of a new iPhone.

Away in My Airplane will be available through August 28 in the United States, United Kingdom, Italy, France, and Sweden. Not all customers appear to have access to the new book at this time, which likely means Apple is delivering the update on a rolling basis.

Article Link: Apple Updates Apple Store App with Free iBookstore Offering

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Free is free, thanks Apple. But I wonder if any of the free content will ever not be mainly for children :rolleyes:

I agree.

Also, it would be nice if they offered a couple free Wallpapers for your iPhone or new Tones. It seems easier for them to do that than bundle it with system updates.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I'm showing a different book as free. "Open Season" by C.J. Box

Edit: Nevermind, I had visited the UK, and had it set to the London Store. When I went back and switched to a local store here in the US I get the same Airplanes book.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
sooooo

is this for... i don't get this. why did they do this? free books while waiting in line at the apple store? so you are going to be in line so long you can read a book?

CynanX

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
I'm showing a different book as free. "Open Season" by C.J. Box

Edit: Nevermind, I had visited the UK, and had it set to the London Store. When I went back and switched to a local store here in the US I get the same Airplanes book.

Same - though I am in the UK. Seems it's a different book for us folk over the pond!

----------

I'm still seeing Color Zen as the free app here :(

I only see Colour Zen under the 'Featured' tab, but that and the book show under 'Stores'.

KattDaDon

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Same - though I am in the UK. Seems it's a different book for us folk over the pond!

----------

I only see Colour Zen under the 'Featured' tab, but that and the book show under 'Stores'.

Thanks for the heads up I see it now. :D

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
"Earlier this month, Apple launched an "iBooks Discovery" initiative, providing its employees with free iBooks in order to prepare them for the launch of OS X Mavericks and iOS 7."

But iBooks can't run Mavericks, can they? I'm still looking forward to getting a free iBook.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
Confused.

This is pretty cool for Apple to do, but how does this help boost in-store sales? A free iBook leads you to an Apple store? I just don't get it.

Could this have been speculation added by MR as to the reasons behind the free books?:confused:

jwm

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
Redondo Beach, California

----------

The iBook for me here in the UK was Open Season. No problems downloading, which was nice to see after the initial issues with Color Zen.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
This is pretty cool for Apple to do, but how does this help boost in-store sales? A free iBook leads you to an Apple store? I just don't get it.

Could this have been speculation added by MR as to the reasons behind the free books?:confused:

The free book is within the Apple Store app, so to get it you have to open the app and look at all of the products that Apple is selling, as well as their current promotions (Back to School right now).

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
The free book is within the Apple Store app, so to get it you have to open the app and look at all of the products that Apple is selling, as well as their current promotions (Back to School right now).

I get everything you're saying. What I don't get is the correlation between this (free iBook) and in-store traffic. That's why I speculated the tie-in was supposition by MR, not a confirmed Apple strategy. Unless there are items that are in-store only I could pretty much any item without setting foot in a store. Sorry, getting off topic.

I still think this is a cool thing for Apple to do.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
UPDATE: i thought having ibookstore enabled in restrictions was sufficient. but apparently i needed to do the same for Itunes.

original post:
weird... not work for me on my iphone 5 (6.1.3)...

i shows the download now button, i hit it, i see the swirling circle at the top of the screen for a few moments afterward...but nothing appears in my ibooks library.

Last edited:

waveboreale

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Paris
In the French store, it is a Sci Fi book " Honor Harrington Tome 1 - Mission Basilic from David Weber ".

Each country store has a different free book :)

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
One thing I wish Apple would include in it's Apple Store App is a section for it's refurbished Apple products. There is no section for that in the App unless I'm wrong and it's hiding somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.