Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a new report from App Store analytics firm Distimo, Apple's App Store revenue still tops Google Play revenue despite the latter's increase in growth over the past six months.

While Apple's App Store revenue increased 15% over the course of the last six months, Google Play revenue increased 67%. In July alone, Google Play saw 11% growth, compared to the App Store's 3%.

revenue.jpg
A similar report from App Annie two weeks ago confirmed that App Store revenue remains 2.3 higher than Google Play revenue even though Google Play downloads eclipsed App Store downloads during the second quarter of 2013.

The majority of the App Store's revenue comes from the United States, followed by Japan and the United Kingdom. Though some countries like Russia spent more on iPad apps than iPhone apps, iPhone apps remain the biggest earners. While South Korea was also a top app spender, it was a majority contributor to Google Play revenue.

revenuepercountry.jpg
Distimo also looked at the top earning apps for July, finding that Candy Crush Saga continues to generate the most revenue in both the App Store and Google Play. In April, the company behind Candy Crush announced that it had earned more than $195 million in revenue, and it is estimated that the app earns approximately $800k per day.

While freemium-based Candy Crush Saga earned the highest amount of revenue overall, WhatsApp Messenger and Minecraft - Pocket Edition were the highest earning paid apps. Despicable Me: Minion Rush, another free app, saw the highest number of overall downloads, followed by Google Maps.

Distimo's app data comes from its app store analytics tool AppIQ, which tracks more than three billion downloads per quarter for developers worldwide.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Still Number One in Revenue Despite Google Play Growth

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
It's not hard to grow exponentially when you are starting at the bottom (relative to a huge Apple head-start). Nothing stunning or surprising about these statistics.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

Google play would explode even more if the apps looked as good as the apps in the app store look. I am not sure why this is the case but perhaps its google needing to do some work on their SDK. I just think apples apps look more polished and that makes people use them more often

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Well of course! Most of the Apps on Google Play are garbage. iOS is where the quality Apps are, and that's why people part with money for them.

Android's ahead in terms of quantity, but it's the quality that really matters. And that's why Apple will ALWAYS win. :apple:

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
It's not hard to grow exponentially when you are starting at the bottom (relative to a huge Apple head-start). Nothing stunning or surprising about these statistics.

Get your head out of the sand.

While holding at the top is impressive and good for business, it would be naive to ignore the market that is gaining on the leader. Especially when that gaining market has a monumental advantage in the number of devices being sold.

The attitude you display is probably the same as the attitude that Microsoft and Blackberry used to have about Apple.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
This data.....

can finish the argument with the people arguing why o why not the iPhone is the basis of the "cash-cow" Apple is enjoying.....

:):apple:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Good job, Google! We'll put this up on the fridge, so we can see it whenever we walk by!

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Well of course! Most of the Apps on Google Play are garbage. iOS is where the quality Apps are, and that's why people part with money for them.

Android's ahead in terms of quantity, but it's the quality that really matters. And that's why Apple will ALWAYS win. :apple:

That's just not true. Android has plenty of quality apps, very likely just as many as iOS has. Just as iOS has plenty of garbage apps, very likely just as many as Android has.

hootiefan7

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
The first graph

Could this graph be any less informative. Ooh, look, I've drawn arbitrary lines increasing for both Apple and Android. Absolutely no numbers or scale on the graph at all. This shows me absolutely nothing and makes it worthless.

Edit: Actually make it both graphs that have completely arbitrary lines and bars.

xNYMetsx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2013
Surprised to see how good the iPad is doing in the US. iPad not doing well in Japan?

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
That's just not true. Android has plenty of quality apps, very likely just as many as iOS has. Just as iOS has plenty of garbage apps, very likely just as many as Android has.
Your comment contradicts this news article. If there was as many quality Apps on Android, there would be a roughly proportionate total revenue figure... that's far from the case.

In comparison to Android tablet Apps, the iPad totally PISSES on Android.

Oh, and Apple has strict quality requirements for Apps submitted to the App Store. Google Play: "if it passes our basic automated AV check, come on in!".

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The reason why Candy Crush makes so much revenue:

I've never played that game but I know my sister plays it a lot on her iPhone, and she's nothing short of addicted. Half of the time her iMessage isn't working because she's changed the date on her phone in order to get more lives.

The other half of the time, iMessage isn't working because Apple's servers are down ;)

BurchBoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2008
If I open up my own App store, I'll see bigger growth than google. (Starting from 0). Would you fawn over my app store?

I think the issue is that one by one, Google is passing Apple's landmark accomplishments...
1.) iOS used to outnumber Android in daily sales worldwide
2.) iPhone used to always be the #1 phone sold each quarter
3.) iOS used to be the #1 Tablet OS
4.) AppStore used to have more apps
5.) AppStore used to have more downloads/day
6.) It's only a matter of time before Google Play surpasses AppStore revenue (At This Rate)

I'm a fan of Apple's past. Let's hope together for the future.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Google Play is rubbish. Surprised they sold so much.

Apple needs to make it easier to search and discover new content if they want to stay ahead. The last time I tried to search for an app I had to wade through dozens and dozens of pages and I just gave up in the end. They need more sub-categories to make it easier and quicker to find things.

Oh and FFS please fix all the problems with iTunes 11 and bring back alerts.

Oh and while I'm on it please please someone at Apple fix the problems with the forward and back buttons. You wade through dozens of pages, find an app that looks interesting so you select it to see more detail, then there is no way to get back to where you were in the search. The back button takes you all the way back to the beginning of the search so you have to wade through all the pages again. That drives me nuts.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Your comment contradicts this news article. If there was as many quality Apps on Android, there would be a roughly proportionate total revenue figure... that's far from the case.

In comparison to Android tablet Apps, the iPad totally PISSES on Android.

Oh, and Apple has strict quality requirements for Apps submitted to the App Store. Google Play: "if it passes our basic automated AV check, come on in!".

So quality apps always have to cost money?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.