Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

x2jag2x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
I was just wondering which headphones you are all using for your iPod. Also, which headphones are on your "wish list?" I always wanted a good pair of in-ear headphones and I just bought the ones on the top of my list: Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5Pros.

Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5Pros

I don't think you can get better sound for the money, but what do you all think?

Studio quality sound and comfort in a small package for less than the competitors?...what else is there to want? Plus they are now available through any Apple store. Obviously, Apple agrees with me on this one.

- jag

baboo2

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Toronto
I listened to the 150 + headphones before but I think if you want quality for the money, the Sony 71-sl is good enough. I have a pair and they are AWESOME. Got them for around 50usd, great price! and you won't need to handle them with as much care

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Last week I got a pair of Bang and Olufsen A8 earbuds. They sounds amazing.
I don't like the ear canal types like Shure as I find them uncomfortable (like having a cue tip stuck in my ear).

The sound quality is crisp and amazingly clear.
- mini amplifiers built into each earbud
-poly diaphram with rubber surround unlike other brands with metal diaphrams that sound tinny.
- crystal clear vocals and high frequencies

Attachments

• earphones_1.jpg
    earphones_1.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 3,238
  • earphones_2.jpg
    earphones_2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,234
L

Lau

baboo2 said:
I listened to the 150 + headphones before but I think if you want quality for the money, the Sony 71-sl is good enough. I have a pair and they are AWESOME. Got them for around 50usd, great price! and you won't need to handle them with as much care

I just ordered the Sony MDR-EX71SLW in white. If Amazon deliver on time, I should have them by Friday, and I'll say what I think when I get em. From what I'v heard, they're the best for the price, but can be a bit 'bassy'. They were £25 from Amazon, for all you UK folk.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Bern said:
I don't like the ear canal types like Shure as I find them uncomfortable (like having a cue tip stuck in my ear).

-poly diaphram with rubber surround unlike other brands with metal diaphrams that sound tinny.

I agree they are outstanding. I sold my pair because I needed cash, and now I'm "suffering" with the ol' white buds. The base response is the only thing lacking, but it's such good quality it doesn't matter.

What's the consensus on Apple's in-ear headphones? Better than stock buds?

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Bern said:

I'm thinking of getting a pair of those... How do they feel after a long time? Are they uncomfortable on the back of the ear with that extra piece? Are they durable? And finally, can you ear them comfortably with glasses on?

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
Bern said:

How much are they? I am a big fan of the canalphones or IEMs as they're called. I had a set of Shure e3cs but they broke so am now on Etymotic ER6's which sound great with my iPod mini and my Mac too :)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
jonat8 said:
How much are they? I am a big fan of the canalphones or IEMs as they're called. I had a set of Shure e3cs but they broke so am now on Etymotic ER6's which sound great with my iPod mini and my Mac too :)

They were A$235. I think the bass is fine, I'm not into heavy bass in my ears. Most of what I listen to is alternative, electronic/techno, Latin, Lounge etc

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
ZoomZoomZoom said:
I'm thinking of getting a pair of those... How do they feel after a long time? Are they uncomfortable on the back of the ear with that extra piece? Are they durable? And finally, can you ear them comfortably with glasses on?

They are extremely comfortable, after a while I forget they're there but for the sweet sound they produce. They are fully adjustable ear pieces which move longer or shorter and the arm that hooks over your ear is hinged so is also fully adjustable. The trick with glasses is to put them on first then the earbuds.

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
Vinnie_vw said:
Just got the sweetlooking Px 200s from Sennheiser.
0.8A
Not a single complaint, sound is great, isolation is great, built to not break, light-weight (60gr) and foldabel into a small sunglasses-sized format, and the price was right. 10/10

I had a set of the PXC250's which were the same as the 200's except that they had noice cancellation technology, which IMO didn't really work that well. They sounded pretty good but were hard to drive from an iPod without a headphone amp. Sold them on eBay though when I got my Ety's.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Koss has very nice cost/quality ratio on their headphones. I would recomment you try the PortaPro or even the cheaper SportaPro. This is the headphones I have for my mini, and I couldn't be happier.

That's why I recommend those in all of these "Best headphones for iPod" threads. ;)

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
Bern said:

?...

i dont think there are mini amplifiers built into each earbud :rolleyes:

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Vinnie_vw said:
Just got the sweetlooking Px 200s from Sennheiser.
0.8A
Not a single complaint, sound is great, isolation is great, built to not break, light-weight (60gr) and foldabel into a small sunglasses-sized format, and the price was right. 10/10

I don't think the sennheiser are sweetlooking, i think they are extremely ugly, am I the only one?

The Sony 71s are great but are very fragile, 3 pairs have broken, the plastic covering the cable in the white version seems to be weaker than in the black version, mine white cables start breaking in a couple of weeks.

gomie27

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2005
Shure E-5

I have a pair of E-5's from shure. They are a little expensive, but made very well. I have tried the E-2's and E-3's, and they just don't compare. The E-5's are equiped with dual drivers, so the bass response is amazing! The isolation is great too. They come with multiple size buds for the perfect fit.
If you listen to your ipod a lot, then these are well worth it.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
I got a pair of Etymotic er6-i earphones for free (usually $150) and they do a better job at reproducing music than my old Altec Lansing 2.1 computer speakers, and they isolate noise fairly well. The only problem with these for me is that it can take quite some time to achieve the proper seal (and thus get the best quality of sound).

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
gomie27 said:
I have a pair of E-5's from shure. They are a little expensive, but made very well. I have tried the E-2's and E-3's, and they just don't compare. The E-5's are equiped with dual drivers, so the bass response is amazing! The isolation is great too. They come with multiple size buds for the perfect fit.
If you listen to your ipod a lot, then these are well worth it.

I sort of agree...

I tried a friends E5c's...almost perfect for me...the only thing that turned me off was that they cost more than my ipod, heck...more than my 4th G and shuffle together.

I bought E2c's...I could buy 4-5 sets of these for the price of the E5c's. I just couldn't do it, food and piano lessons for the kids are just more important. Once I found the right inserts for the E2c's, I fell in love...the fit is just right for me...you get used to having something in the ear.

Sound is detailed...lacking a bit in bass.

Any Shure product will have you hearing things you did not know were there when you listened with your Apple buds

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I recommend the Sennheiser PX-100s. My review is below the main review here:

http://www.ipodgear.com/accessories/detail/51

The PX-100s are an open version of the closed PX-200s. I haven't tried the 200s, but reviews seem to say the open 100s sound better. Otherwise, they're the same--and the way they fold is great.

Is that a white pair you have? Mine are black and silver, which is fine, but your image looks white.

ashon3611

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2004
Austin
$15 or less option

Today I received Koss "The Plug" ($10) and Philips HE592 Surround Sound Ear Buds ($15-20)...

While the Koss pairs and an overall better sound with a surprisingly strong bass, it takes a while to get them in your ear and seems like it wont hold up well if you throw them in ur pack.

The HE592 are very good too, while they dont isolate outside sound ask well as the Koss the bass and highs are very good too. I chose the HE592 to use when im on campus and can use them in the library or at the gym.

Both are superior alternatives to the earbuds that came with the ipod.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Koss has very nice cost/quality ratio on their headphones. I would recomment you try the PortaPro or even the cheaper SportaPro. This is the headphones I have for my mini, and I couldn't be happier.

That's why I recommend those in all of these "Best headphones for iPod" threads. ;)

I second the "Koss portapro". I have had them for around 6 months now
and I have never heard any Headphones that sound the same. They have
a stunning bass and come with a "Lifetime warranty". Their only down side
is that they look a bit 80ish. If you don't care about the looks, then check
them out. BTW, they are not in-ear headphones.

geeman

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2001
At My Mac
I bought a pair of Etymotic ER-4S, which are fantastic (but then at over $300 they should be :eek: ) I use them with a headphone amp using the Line Out from my 4G 60Gb. This is the set-up I use when I'm on a plane (as I do a LOT of travelling).

Listening to tracks ripped with Apple Lossless from the Line Out of the iPod, through the amp and finally to the Etys, the quality of reproduction is simply outstanding to these ears. I'm very fussy with regards to sound quality - for those in the know I have a Linn/Naim system at home :cool: :cool:

Etymotic do another version called the ER-4P which has lower impedence and is better for portables if you don't want to use an amp. However, the ER-4P is not any cheaper :(

As already mentioned, there's also the Etymotic ER-6 and ER-6i models, which are cheaper than the ER-4S and P, but sound very good indeed.

When I take the iPod to the gym I use a pair of Sony MDR-EX71s - already mentioned - which are unbelievably good for the price.

Shure have a good reputation. Their new E4 and E4s are supposed to be outstanding.

I've never heard the UE Super.Fi 5Pros, but what turns me off them is that the earpiece cables seem extremely thin - read fragile. If I'm spending my hard-earned $$$ I don't want the things breaking on me every five minutes... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.