Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
Portal is not an FPS...
It's close enough. It uses the Source engine, it is first person, and you have a gun, except it shoots portals instead of bullets. The term "FPS" does not specify exactly what the gun(s)/weapons/tools shoot out of their barrel/hole/portal thingy. Or do you want to legally change the term to " FPSATSLOSBRBSGOEDETC, First Person Small Arms That Shoot Lethal Objects Such as Bullets, Rockets, Bolts, Shot, Grenades and Other Explosive Devices, ETC.," though I think it may be too much of a mouthful for some people. :p

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
How about Half Life?

HL1 is old school, but HL2 is really really great! One of the best stories in a game IMO.

If you're not going to play HL1, I would suggest you to read a synopsis of the story before playing HL2, as HL2 continues the story, so you might get a little more out of it if you know what happened in HL1 :)

Last edited:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
How about Half Life?

HL1 is old school, but HL2 is really really great! One of the best stories in a game IMO.

If you're not going to play HL1, I would suggest you to read a synopsis of the story before playing HL2, as HL2 continues the story, so you might get a little more out of it if you know what happened in HL1 :)

Both play great on the Mac OSX through Steam as well!

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Descent 1, 2, 3 and 4

There's no such thing as Descent 4, thought a lot of people still long for such a game. Volition did some preliminary pre-production work on Descent 4, according to rumours, but that eventually evolved into what we know as Red Faction (which has nothing to do with Descent except that involves Mars and oppressive monolithic corporations).

GOG has several obscure FPS that are available "natively" for the Mac: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War. If you want to stretch out the definition a little bit, you could also include Realms of the Haunting, Stonekeep, Shattered Steel, and Ultima Underworld 1+2. If you want to include Windows games that you can play via WINE or Boxer (that haven't yet been mentioned) there's Chaser, Kingpin: Life of Crime, Blood 1+2, IGI 2: Covert Strike, Painkiller, Lands of Lore 1-3, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death, and Daikatana (which actually isn't as bad as you might think).

Elite Force got an unofficial port of Holomatch from a fork of ioQuake3, while Hexen, Heretic, and Hexen II also got a source port through the Doomsday Project. Descent 1-2 also have a source port but were originally OS 9-only.

Both Elite Force and NOLF had some great sequels, but they've sadly never made the jump to Intel.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I'm not accepting PPC ports. And no, it does not count.

I'm pretty sure Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction is not an FPS.

Thanks for your reply. And I understand your comments. All of the games I listed have been released on OS X or Classic Mac OS. You didn't specify that you didn't want Classic OS games or whatever.

And would it be so hard to say "thank you"? I put a lot of research into that. Not for my benefit, I thought it would help.

Portal is not an FPS...
Yes it. It is first person. And you shoot things. You just shoot portals and not bullets. But I see your point though. It's defo not a traditional FPS.

GOG has several obscure FPS that are available "natively" for the Mac: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War.
I thought they were dos only. Hence why I didn't list them. But if you found a Mac OS port of them then sure add them in.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
And would it be so hard to say "thank you"? I put a lot of research into that. Not for my benefit, I thought it would help.

I am kind of hoping he is a non-English primary speaker, because otherwise his tone is rather rude and demanding for someone asking for help.

I can see asking people to call out (if they know) what works on Classic vs. OS X vs. Wine/DOSBox ... but aside from that please tell me we aren't going to start an 'is it an FPS' pissing contest!

Red Cube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
How about Half Life?

I have the whole series, in fact, and it is probably my favorite FPS series of all time.
Crysis is a great FPS, but the jury seems to be out on whether or not it will run on OSX...I don't know if you are bootcamped or not, but if so it's well worth a look.
I looked at it a while back, and there is no way I (or most other people) could run it.
There's no such thing as Descent 4, thought a lot of people still long for such a game. Volition did some preliminary pre-production work on Descent 4, according to rumours, but that eventually evolved into what we know as Red Faction (which has nothing to do with Descent except that involves Mars and oppressive monolithic corporations).

GOG has several obscure FPS that are available "natively" for the Mac: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War. If you want to stretch out the definition a little bit, you could also include Realms of the Haunting, Stonekeep, Shattered Steel, and Ultima Underworld 1+2. If you want to include Windows games that you can play via WINE or Boxer (that haven't yet been mentioned) there's Chaser, Kingpin: Life of Crime, Blood 1+2, IGI 2: Covert Strike, Painkiller, Lands of Lore 1-3, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death, and Daikatana (which actually isn't as bad as you might think).

Elite Force got an unofficial port of Holomatch from a fork of ioQuake3, while Hexen, Heretic, and Hexen II also got a source port through the Doomsday Project. Descent 1-2 also have a source port but were originally OS 9-only.

Both Elite Force and NOLF had some great sequels, but they've sadly never made the jump to Intel.
Thanks for the
Thanks for your reply. And I understand your comments. All of the games I listed have been released on OS X or Classic Mac OS. You didn't specify that you didn't want Classic OS games or whatever.

My bad :)
I am kind of hoping he is a non-English primary speaker
My first language is English, I'm sorry to say.
because otherwise his tone is rather rude and demanding for someone asking for help.
Sorry. :( Most of what I say comes out wrong, which sorta contradicts what I said above.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I have the whole series, in fact, and it is probably my favorite FPS series of all time.

Ohh... I just didn't think so, as it wasn't on your list :)

FYI, the Half Life series (both 1 and 2) + Counter Strike 1.6 has been released on Mac through Steam. So if you have it on Steam (for Windows), you can also play it on your Mac.

So that could be a great way to play the series again :D

Red Cube

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
Ohh... I just didn't think so, as it wasn't on your list :)

FYI, the Half Life series (both 1 and 2) + Counter Strike 1.6 has been released on Mac through Steam. So if you have it on Steam (for Windows), you can also play it on your Mac.

So that could be a great way to play the series again :D
I bought them too :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.