Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Is it worth it to get engraving?. I am thinking about it, but what happens if I drop it and replace it with apple care. Will apple engrave the replacement? Post pics if you have engraving on the black ipad mini. Thanks.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Is it worth it to get engraving?. I am thinking about it, but what happens if I drop it and replace it with apple care. Will apple engrave the replacement? Post pics if you have engraving on the black ipad mini. Thanks.

Nope... Apple will most likely replace a refurbished one without engraving and engraving will drop your resell value significantly.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO

If you ever plan on selling it don't do it!

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
This ever so slightly nothing to do with the forum it is posted in.

I completely agree but I also see the desire to get a quick response. Trying to get an answer anywhere else on this site is like trying to pull teeth. I currently have a thread in the Mavericks section with one simple question ~100 views and no one can seem to answer. But yes definitely no the right forum

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the responses. I didn't know I posted under ios7 sorry.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Apple will replace an engraved iPad but only if you go through Apple Care on the phone for that replacement, which if you don't have Apple Care could cost you a service fee for the call.

Frankly I see little value in engraving them even if it is a gift.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Does Apple still have free engraving promos? I haven't seen one for the iPad or any other handheld device in years.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
If you MUST have engraving, the Apple online store free service is certainly a good deal. However, as others point out, I would recommend NOT getting any engraving on your devices.

The resale value is drastically reduced. Check with Amazon, the "sell your mac" type sites, etc. and you will find that for an iPad with engraving the resale can be up to $100 or so less.

I had my iPad2 engraved, and never again. If you must have your name or something on your iPad, use a sticker or some type of label.

When we get a nice shiny new iDevice, we tend to think we will have it "forever". But after two short years we are ready for a better model. Engraving will prevent you from selling your old one for a reasonable price.

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
Ok. That helps out. I was thinking of doing it for the first time with my ipad 5. But I guess not now.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Custom back case is a better idea.

If you plan on using a back case it's better to get a custom case with whatever engraving/print you want, instead of engraving the iPad itself. At least that's what I did with my phone.

ben911

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
Maine
I engraved my ipad3

I engraved my own iPad 3 (I have a laser engraver) the day after I got it. I have no regrets because I never plan to sell it. It will go to a family member when I upgrade.

I like the idea of it being a bit more difficult to steal.

getstuff4less

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
I engraved my own iPad 3 (I have a laser engraver) the day after I got it. I have no regrets because I never plan to sell it. It will go to a family member when I upgrade.

I don't see how engraving it makes it any more difficult to steal. They just take it like a non-engraved iPad.

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
not a good idea specially if you plan on selling it later on. never have any of my apple products engraved. i want to keep it simple.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I've had two items engraved and I personally will not have any more done.

Engraving doesn't make an item harder to steal. It just makes it harder for the thief to sell.

The engraving is so small that it is barely readable.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Because when they take the iPad they look "on it's engraved we can't take this one". I bet most thieves don't even know it's engraved until they have it already.

As others said, engraving is a waste. I like to give my iStuff to my kids, siblings, and other family members when I upgrade. And if you sell it, you're going to get way less for it.

Most people put a case on anyways, so you're not even going to see the engraving.

JordiGriell

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
I engraved my girlfriend's iPad with the drawing of a huge tree at the back and her name written on it, I think that it makes for a decorous avant-garde present.

I had it done at the local Jewelry, but it wasn't cheap.

donaldcc

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
DC Area
Great Idea...and suggestion!

Sound advice, given the fact you want to retain the resale value as much as possible.

If you plan on using a back case it's better to get a custom case with whatever engraving/print you want, instead of engraving the iPad itself. At least that's what I did with my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.