Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazonwebservices.png
Amazon has added a new service to its Amazon Web Services division that should make it easier for developers to integrate push notifications into their apps, particularly when developing for multiple platforms.

SNS Mobile Push allows developers to send notifications to iOS, Android and Kindle Fire devices for $1 per million notifications sent, without developing a complicated push notification backend and with Amazon's backing as apps scale to millions of users.
Supporting push notifications at large scale has been incredibly complicated for mobile app developers. Each popular mobile platform maintains a different free relay service that delivers notifications through persistent connections to devices running the platforms they own. This means that to support millions of users on multiple mobile platforms, developers must integrate with each of these platform-specific relay services, which introduces operational complexity and cost. In addition, the nature of mobile app distribution is such that successful apps can become popular almost overnight, exacerbating these challenges for customers.

"Many customers tell us they build and maintain their own mobile push services, even though they find this approach expensive, complex and error-prone," said Raju Gulabani, Vice President of Database Services, AWS. "Amazon SNS with Mobile Push takes these concerns off the table with one simple cross-platform API, a flat low price and a free tier that means many customers won't pay anything until their applications achieve scale."
Smaller developers can integrate the service as well, with Amazon allowing developers to send one million notifications per month for free.

To learn more about Amazon SNS Mobile Push, visit: http://aws.amazon.com/sns.

Article Link: Amazon Introduces iOS-Compatible Cross-Platform Notification Sending Service for Developers

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don't see how this is a big deal. There are only 3 places to send notifications now. When there are hundreds, it would be a big deal. But if there were hundreds, there would also be hundreds of versions of a developer's software to create.

Plus, using Google, Apple and Kindle notifications are all free. This has a nominal fee, but would still create another bill to pay for a corporation. And trying to get that paperwork through for a new recurring fee would be a nightmare, that most developers would skip it and go the free route.

I'm a developer, and I don't get the need for this. I guess the good parts would be (a) only one interface to learn, not three. (b) Amazon is trying to create a notification 'standard'

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Sending the notifications may be free, but one still has to pay for the servers that send the notifications. This service provides that infrastructure for you.

Oh, you're right. Most companies have servers, but for the small developers who don't have servers, Amazon is providing the SERVERS to send the notifications. That's something that might help small developers.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I don't see how this is a big deal. There are only 3 places to send notifications now. When there are hundreds, it would be a big deal. But if there were hundreds, there would also be hundreds of versions of a developer's software to create.

Plus, using Google, Apple and Kindle notifications are all free. This has a nominal fee, but would still create another bill to pay for a corporation. And trying to get that paperwork through for a new recurring fee would be a nightmare, that most developers would skip it and go the free route.

I'm a developer, and I don't get the need for this. I guess the good parts would be (a) only one interface to learn, not three. (b) Amazon is trying to create a notification 'standard'

There's a lot of complexity in handling push notifications well. For example, I'd be willing to bet that most iOS devs don't bother checking the APNS feedback queue for bad tokens/etc.

The benefit is that you don't have to write and maintain that code. It should be worth it even if you're only supporting a single platform.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Maybe I don't get it, but if the US has 254M people, would it cost me $254 to spam everyone?

ddelapp

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Windows Azure Notification Hubs

Windows Azure just announced a similar feature yesterday that provides cross platform notifications for Windows Store (WNS), Windows Phone (MPNS), iOS (APNS), and Android (GCM). All good stuff!

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Maybe I don't get it, but if the US has 254M people, would it cost me $254 to spam everyone?

You can't just send out push notifications to random devices. They need to have your app and permission to send notifications.

This is great, smaller devs don't need their own servers to send push notifications anymore.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This is great, smaller devs don't need their own servers to send push notifications anymore.

How does that work? Won't they still need a server to let Amazon's server know when to let Apple's server know to send the push notifications? :)

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
How does that work? Won't they still need a server to let Amazon's server know when to let Apple's server know to send the push notifications? :)

1) Sign up with amazon and get an ID num
2) Add 1-2 line(s) of code
2) Login to amazon's portal, type a msg and hit send

Done, amazon handles everything, permissions and outdated/removed devices etc

Personally I use Parse, but they were just bought by Facebook... so this might be a great alternative if Parse or Urban Airship go south.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
1) Sign up with amazon and get an ID num
2) Add 1-2 line(s) of code
2) Login to amazon's portal, type a msg and hit send

Done, amazon handles everything, permissions and outdated/removed devices etc

Personally I use Parse, but they were just bought by Facebook... so this might be a great alternative if Parse or Urban Airship go south.

So, it sounds like this would be good for something like breaking news alerts where everyone gets the same notification at the same time. Right?

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Thats exactly what I use it for, breaking news alerts, it'll also give you the actual number of people you'll reach before you send it out. If you have 50,000 users you could send 20 messages a month for free, 200,000 users could be sent 5 messages a month free... etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.