Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yelp for iOS was updated to version 7.0.0 today, adding a much desired review feature. After installing the update, users will be able to add reviews to any business or restaurant from their phones.

While Yelp on the iPad has allowed reviews for quite some time, iPhone users were previously limited to adding short tips or drafting reviews that could be saved and added later via the website.

yelpreviews.jpg
The new version of Yelp supports full reviews, and the former "Tip" button has now been replaced with a "Review" button that offers a standard review interface.
What's new
Today's release is pretty epic, and we're not kidding around. Are you sitting down? You might want to sit down. Starting today, you can add reviews from your phone! Visit any business page, tap "add review", and go bananas.
Yelp is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Yelp for iOS Now Allows Full Reviews from iPhone Users

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Why did that take so long??? I didn't know the iPad app had it. So that makes its absence on iPhone even more bizarre. I thought they wanted to push people to their website and therefore blocked submission on the app in general, but that's not true if the iPad had the ability to publish. WTF?

Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years????

I never used yelp, and then after inclusion in iOS 6 I decided I'd give it a shot. The fact that I couldn't leave a review in the app was absolutely ridiculous. I immediately gave up and never used the app again. Yelp is a joke. I wish Apple hadn't used them for iOS integration. They have been such a failure.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
Yelp is stupid. Whats the point if you can't add reviews while you are at the restaurant? I have so many unpublished reviews. I wonder how many reviews are not shared because they would not let you publish.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Silly that it took this long to allow it, but I'll give them credit for the fun release note.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years????

I never used yelp, and then after inclusion in iOS 6 I decided I'd give it a shot. The fact that I couldn't leave a review in the app was absolutely ridiculous. I immediately gave up and never used the app again. Yelp is a joke. I wish Apple hadn't used them for iOS integration. They have been such a failure.

Yelp is stupid. Whats the point if you can't add reviews while you are at the restaurant? I have so many unpublished reviews. I wonder how many reviews are not shared because they would not let you publish.

True and true.

However, from this day forth I guarantee you Yelp reviews will SKYROCKET and turn it into the "standard" for finding a good place.

What they need to do is integrate more of Yelp into Maps, so features can be utilized in Maps...the main place people use Yelp.

True and true.

However, from this day forth I guarantee you Yelp reviews will SKYROCKET and turn it into the "standard" for finding a good place.

perhaps... untill yelp has missed their window of opportunity. Yelp was hip about 2-3 years ago. When iOS 6 came out yelp was already kind of on their way down.... Now I feel like it is mostly forgotten.

I think Apple should have bought yelp a long time ago and thoroughly incorporated it into the Maps app. Leaving reviews from the maps app, etc.

Edit: Haha, I see you added the bit about integration into maps as I was responding. It'd so ridiculous how little they are integrated. For nearly everything in bumps you into the app. and then you can't even review in the app. Gosh... such a joke...

ggarthe

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I'll be more impressed when they start paying attention the user submitted corrections to fix their mess of incorrect information.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I'm surprised that Apple didn't petition Yelp to include this feature before they integrated it into iOS. I'm sure it would've been easy for Eddy Cue to get them to make the change with little effort.

Locoboof

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2008
Bay Area,Cali
I agree,this should have been implemented on day one. One thought was....maybe they didn't allow people to add reviews from their phones was to maybe allow a "cooling off" period. Maybe the food or service might seem bad at the table while dining,but after some time once you're home...maybe it's not as bad as you thought or you've calmed down. At this point it's too late,you've already given your review. Just my two cents.... Either way...this option is long over due. This is what kept me from leaving reviews. Lol...

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Yelp is still not a worldwide effort, and that is part of the problem with data missing in Apple Maps.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Why did that take so long??? I didn't know the iPad app had it. So that makes its absence on iPhone even more bizarre. I thought they wanted to push people to their website and therefore blocked submission on the app in general, but that's not true if the iPad had the ability to publish. WTF?

From what I understand, they were reluctant to implement it on the iPhone because they didn't want shorthand, sloppy writing to make its way into reviews. See this blog post from 2009 on the subject:

http://officialblog.yelp.com/2009/12/ask-yelp-why-cant-i-write-reviews-from-my-mobile.html

"But why not full reviews? Well imagine what it would be like if reviews were done in SMS shorthand: "OK so, IANAE, but AFAIC this place has THE best Cfood. It was gr8! ADBB"

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
From what I understand, they were reluctant to implement it on the iPhone because they didn't want shorthand, sloppy writing to make its way into reviews. See this blog post from 2009 on the subject:

http://officialblog.yelp.com/2009/12/ask-yelp-why-cant-i-write-reviews-from-my-mobile.html

"But why not full reviews? Well imagine what it would be like if reviews were done in SMS shorthand: "OK so, IANAE, but AFAIC this place has THE best Cfood. It was gr8! ADBB"
People type like that even when they're on the computer. Idiots will be idiots, regardless of their means of typing. It was silly of them not to incorporate it until now and it's why I stopped bothering with the app a long time ago. I might try it out again since they put the stupidly obvious feature in.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Agree

I agree,this should have been implemented on day one. One thought was....maybe they didn't allow people to add reviews from their phones was to maybe allow a "cooling off" period. Maybe the food or service might seem bad at the table while dining,but after some time once you're home...maybe it's not as bad as you thought or you've calmed down. At this point it's too late,you've already given your review. Just my two cents.... Either way...this option is long over due. /QUOTE]

I agree with this. Let people cool off.

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Wow, this took forever and is something that should have obviously been there since day one.

flounder021

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
I agree,this should have been implemented on day one. One thought was....maybe they didn't allow people to add reviews from their phones was to maybe allow a "cooling off" period. Maybe the food or service might seem bad at the table while dining,but after some time once you're home...maybe it's not as bad as you thought or you've calmed down. At this point it's too late,you've already given your review. Just my two cents.... Either way...this option is long over due. This is what kept me from leaving reviews. Lol...

Nailed it.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
From what I understand, they were reluctant to implement it on the iPhone because they didn't want shorthand, sloppy writing to make its way into reviews.
This is precisely it. In addition to sloppy reviews, they didn't want inaccurate reviews done out of anger or frustration in the heat of the moment after bad service. You draft a review, and finish it after you've had time to reflect.

It's not about having fun on an iPhone, it's about leaving accurate reviews so when you want to find a good place, you can trust the data.

It's embarrassing to read posts from users who have no clue that it was an intentional and well thought out omission this entire time.

Yelp is SUCH A JOKE for not having this included until now.... There has been a yelp app for, what, 5 years???? I never used yelp, and then after inclusion in iOS 6 I decided I'd give it a shot. The fact that I couldn't leave a review in the app was absolutely ridiculous. I immediately gave up and never used the app again. Yelp is a joke. I wish Apple hadn't used them for iOS integration. They have been such a failure.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
This is precisely it. In addition to sloppy reviews, they didn't want inaccurate reviews

I have always looked at Yelp as a lot like Wikipedia in that accuracy always seems to take a back seat to volume...

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Yelp has immense potential. I think it's a great service. They have a lot to still get right for sure. I was getting email notifications, for instance, about the best places to eat steak in the suburbs. I'm a vegetarian living in the city core. Just an example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.