Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Hello all,

i'm curious which version of Windows those of you that run VMs use on your air? I have always just stuck with XP because that's where the PC world was when I left. Well, they were on Vista which is a big part of WHY I left but i've always fallen back on XP when I need Windows... is that still the case or are more people running their VMs with 7 or 8?
looking around this forum i have seen people having a lot of luck running both w7 and 8 on their MBAs

thanks!

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
8 is currently the fastest running version of Windows out there, and is also a lot easier/cheaper to obtain than Windows 7, so I'd go for 8. I use 8 on everything I run.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Win8 metro interface really wants a touch screen. But I hear the latest 8.1 will let you boot directly into the traditional desktop. That would be my only concern.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
8 is currently the fastest running version of Windows out there, and is also a lot easier/cheaper to obtain than Windows 7, so I'd go for 8. I use 8 on everything I run.

awesome, will do. thanks mate!

----------

ick. what a crime to put Winblow$ on an Air.

in the real world there are software suites that only work in a windows environment... thankfully that gets less and less every year as market pressure pushes developers to make OSX compatible programs but we're not quite there yet.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I personally prefer Windows 7. I never warmed up to Windows 8. I have 8.1 preview installed and configured to look like Windows 7. I don't really see the big deal of a difference.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a redesigned full-screen start menu. Once you realise and accept that it's actually really nice to use :) Pretty much as usable as OS X.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
Which Windows version is generally recommended for gaming via Bootcamp. I went with Windows 7 Home Premium and hoping I made the right choice.

Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet. A lot of the media are downplaying 8 and hyping it up as the next Vista, but the truth is that it's selling fairly well and there isn't much wrong with it from a desktop standpoint. Tablet is another matter.

Let's face it, writing articles proclaiming the downfall of Microsoft because of 8 sells papers/gets clicks.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Windows 8 has access to more advanced DirectX stuff so 8 is probably a better bet. A lot of the media are downplaying 8 and hyping it up as the next Vista, but the truth is that it's selling fairly well and there isn't much wrong with it from a desktop standpoint. Tablet is another matter.

Let's face it, writing articles proclaiming the downfall of Microsoft because of 8 sells papers/gets clicks.

yeah...but they said the same thing about Vista and Vista really is one of the worst things MS or any reputable software company has ever put out.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

You will be fine. I can't see a game publisher (other than Microsoft) making games that ONLY run on Windows 8. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
You will be fine. I can't see a game publisher (other than Microsoft) making games that ONLY run on Windows 8. They would shoot themselves in the foot if they did that.

+1
(Unless you count some of the few "mobile" style games that work with touch on Windows 8, which I'm guessing many people wouldn't use on a MacBook Air anyways).

mattferg

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2013
DirectX is just a module and as far as I know, Microsoft has not stopped updating 7.

I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that XP was limited to DX9, Vista is limited to DX10, 7 brought in DX11, I don't know about 8 but it's probably a similar story. Either way, 8 runs faster, and thus is better for games as it uses less system resources too. It's just a better choice tbh.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I believe (if I'm not mistaken) that XP was limited to DX9, Vista is limited to DX10, 7 brought in DX11, I don't know about 8 but it's probably a similar story. Either way, 8 runs faster, and thus is better for games as it uses less system resources too. It's just a better choice tbh.

8 supports DirectX 11.1 (as does Windows 7). Windows 8.1 (which is not even out yet) will support DirectX 11.2. By the time a game comes out that requires or takes advantage of 11.2, it will be time for a new MBA anyway...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113

Brandon263

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Beaumont, CA
Hello all,

i'm curious which version of Windows those of you that run VMs use on your air? I have always just stuck with XP because that's where the PC world was when I left. Well, they were on Vista which is a big part of WHY I left but i've always fallen back on XP when I need Windows... is that still the case or are more people running their VMs with 7 or 8?
looking around this forum i have seen people having a lot of luck running both w7 and 8 on their MBAs

thanks!

Windows 8 because it's faaaaast and it's fun to play with the Metro interface and it's apps from time to time. If you've got a base Air, it's also leagues better at memory management than Max OS X is.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I would simply stick with XP. XP is the best piece of software Microsoft ever wrote as everything after that was just a downgrade without any real direction. XP still has around 40% market share. Once that market share goes down to zero it's good bye Microsucks.

ApplNat

macrumors member
May 18, 2013
I loved WinXP but it's just not supported anymore. I loaded Win 8 on my new MBA under VMWare Fusion 5.

Also, there are free utility programs that will give the user back the look/feel of the Win 7 or WinXP Start button so you never have to see the metro screen. That's what I'm doing and it works great.

fark

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2013
I loved WinXP but it's just not supported anymore. I loaded Win 8 on my new MBA under VMWare Fusion 5.

Also, there are free utility programs that will give the user back the look/feel of the Win 7 or WinXP Start button so you never have to see the metro screen. That's what I'm doing and it works great.

I have Windows8 virtual machines (Parallels) running on both my Mac Mini and MBA13. I use Start8 from Stardock to get the Windows7 Start menu back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.