Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hi All. I see lots of posts on here about Bodies, lenses, software but not many about camera accessories (but not Lenses and bodies). I'm talking bags, tripods, hoods, filters, remotes etc. Thought it might be worth starting one.

People can post their latest purchases or ask for opinions etc. I always think a picture paints a 1000 words, so if possible please include one.
If it proves popular here maybe it could become a Sticky thread? Anyway it's up to you.

To start off please see below a couple of the next things I'm looking at getting. I'm looking at getting a good tripod, rather than buy a cheap one and then find out my camera is at risk and end up buying a better one later on! Also a remote is a no brainer because of the price and to get rid of any wobble!

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/photo-kit-with-804rc2-head-190xprob-tripod

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-N...l-D3200-D5100-D5200-D7000-D7100-/231018782210

Attachments

• Tripod.jpg
    Tripod.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 441
  • Remote.jpg
    Remote.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 357

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
OK, I'll bite:

I recently purchased a few things for my camera, specifically for an upcoming vacation to DisneyWorld.

Joby UltraFit Sling Strap
http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultrafit-sling-strap-for-men/
0912-camera-strap-men.jpg

Along with the Joby UltraPlate Quick Release Plate
http://joby.com/camera-straps/ultraplate-quick-release-plate
ultraplate-hero.jpg

Also grabbed a new tripod that is a touch smaller (though might be heavier) than my SLK tripod
MeFoto RoadTrip
http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx

Along with an "el cheapo" Variable Neutral Density Filter and a nicer, pricier 9-stop ND Filter. and then two step-up rings to use the filters on my smaller prime lens.

I had heard about straps for a while and thought they were funny to buy a "fancy" one to replace the Branded one that came with the camera...it didn't bother me that the brand was on the strap...it is on teh camera anyway. But after seeing a few of the sling-style straps I decided to go for the plunge...happy with it so far.

PS. Back in December or November, I purchased the 35 Prime and an Amazon Basics Remote control for my camera. And, I did forget, buying a few photo books/e-books. cannot remember the titles now but figured I'd add that to this listing (literature)

Last edited:

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I've been loading up on a few gadgets of late for my aging but still tons-o-fun Nikon D300s. Everything from a cheapo but great remote release for 10-pin:

4180DCyzIXL._SY100_.jpg

to some Gura Gear storage bags (which I love):

41SONf2ZkcL._SX100_.jpg

to a light meter to use with an old Yashica D I inherited (and interesting, it helps on occasion in tough situations with the Nikon):

51QmHaTzowL._SY100_.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I'm going to post, but with reservations.

My current bag is:

Domke F-5XB Shoulder and Belt Ruggedwear Bag

Small and unobtrusive. Carries my Leica body with up to 3 lenses or other travel stuff if I'm only taking 1 or 2 lenses on a trip. Small, compact, light, secure. Easy to carry around. Easy to travel with by plane.

For a tripod, I use a compact Gitzo for my Leica or a more robust version if using my Nikon. Markins heads for both. While I've never had problems with my Gitzo tripods, I tend to be fairly gentle with them. Phrasikleia has reported problems with hers on this forum, but she tends to expose them to more extreme conditions because of her style of landscape photography. Given the price tag of Gitzo gear, I don't think she has used them outside of their tolerance ranges for the brand. Something to keep in mind though.... Not sure what she is using currently.

Regarding filters, I've tended to gravitate to premium brands. If you are spending good money on a quality lens, it doesn't make sense to me to try to save a few bucks if you need to use a filter in front of it. I use color filters with my Leica M Monochrom in specific situations (usually an orange or red filter depending on the circumstances). More rarely I will use a polarizer (for Leica it's a minor PITA to use a polarizer). With my Nikon gear I always carry around a polarizer and often a graduated ND filter. Sometimes some more funky filters from http://www.singh-ray.com.

My usual travel gear is pretty light though. My Leica M Monochrom body, a 35mm f/1.4 prime, orange filter, and the Domke bag mentioned above. Sometimes I'll throw in a 24mm and/or 90mm lens. Rarely end up using them when I do. For what I like to shoot, I've learned over time that less gear is more. Easy to get sucked into the photography gear money sink. At some point you have to learn what you actually use for whatever you like to shoot and *not* try to always be prepared for every possible shooting scenario.

To the OP, your Nikon D3200 with the kit lens is actually a nice setup. Perhaps add a long zoom to the mix. *Maybe* you need a tripod at this point. Honestly though, just focus on learning photography and don't worry about gear (either cameras/lenses or "peripherals"). Good photos come from experience, and experience comes from taking many, many *bad* photos. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
GP-sc.jpg

Acratech GP-s ballhead . Not cheap , but I got tired of dealing with crap ballheads that are a headache to adjust and slip when used with a 100-400 or similar , so I bit the bullet and got this .

speedlitec.jpg

270 EX Speedlite , picked up as a refurb. for indoor fill flash . Have the custom function set to default to a 1/250 synch speed when I'm in Av . Find I use it more than my 430EX .

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I'll throw my vote for a Tenba Large Messenger Bag. Big enough to carry a LOT of stuff (you could carry the three Canon 2.8 zooms with body attached in the same bag and still have space for a 15-16" laptop) and mobile enough for everyday use. Water resistant design and comfortable for all day use. It's my daily bag.

Reactions: tizeye

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Downloaded TheReef's "The Seascapist" iPad app. Great app - well designed, clear, concise and of course...beautiful shots:
The Seascapist

Then picked-up a 10 stop ND filter. A bit of a learning curve for me with this filter but I had a lot of fun with it during a recent trip to our east coast.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
I recently purchased the RS-W1 women's Blackrapid camera strap... and it's driving me nuts. I think I just got too used to having my camera slung on one shoulder with the factory strap. It was more comfortable for long hikes, but annoying because it screws into the hole for the tripod.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

black-rapid-rs-w1-05.jpg

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
I recently purchased the RS-W1 women's Blackrapid camera strap... and it's driving me nuts. I think I just got too used to having my camera slung on one shoulder with the factory strap. It was more comfortable for long hikes, but annoying because it screws into the hole for the tripod.

Any suggestions for a replacement?
@Melissa, I have a Carry Speed FS-Pro sling strap. Very comfortable and it allows you to use a tri-pod.

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
@Melissa, I just bought the Curve RS-7 with the Bert extender. I am the opposite, i could not stand the factory strap! Did you look at the replacement fastener that fits the Manfrotto quick release plate? Haven't purchased it yet but will shortly. ~Joe

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
@Melissa, I just bought the Curve RS-7 with the Bert extender. I am the opposite, i could not stand the factory strap! Did you look at the replacement fastener that fits the Manfrotto quick release plate? Haven't purchased it yet but will shortly. ~Joe

I didn't know such a thing existed! I should check it out. I'm also not used to my camera hanging upside-down. Guess I just need to carry it around more with the new strap to get used to it.

Thanks for the info!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia has reported problems with hers on this forum, but she tends to expose them to more extreme conditions because of her style of landscape photography. Given the price tag of Gitzo gear, I don't think she has used them outside of their tolerance ranges for the brand. Something to keep in mind though.... Not sure what she is using currently.

I was definitely using them within specs. Gitzo's manuals state that their tripods can be used down to -30°C, and both of mine broke in warmer weather than that. The second one (a 2-series) broke when it was about -11C, and the first one (a 1-series) broke when the temperature was above freezing. Each tripod was less than a year old when it broke.

For the last eight months I've been using a tripod from RRS (Really Right Stuff), and it has endured some crazy conditions in that time. It's a real champ, performs beautifully, and has made shooting in adverse conditions and in rough terrain a lot easier for me. I'm very happy with it.

As for accessory purchases…I think my most recent would be these two camera backpacks, along with their compatible tripod bags and rain covers:

GlacierHike1.jpg

I keep buying camera bags that I think are plenty big enough, only to realize later that I need something even bigger. I'm actually carrying less gear now than I did a year or two ago, but my excursions keep getting longer and more demanding, so I've been needing to carry a lot of additional layers and survival items. I now have more camera bags in storage than I can count, and I'm already wondering if I might need an even larger photo backpack for trekking than the primary one that I recently bought!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I have NC (Neutral Clear) and Circular Polarizing for all my lenses. I use the NC when it's likely going to be a lot of dirt mucked up and Polarizing when needed.

Since I have Nikon gears I use Nikon filters especially since they have thin ring versions that help prevent vignetting you can get from filters on some lenses.

I fortunately haven't had to replace a filter, but there are some days where I had to clean them frequently.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I was definitely using them within specs. Gitzo's manuals state that their tripods can be used down to -30°C, and both of mine broke in warmer weather than that. The second one (a 2-series) broke when it was about -11C, and the first one (a 1-series) broke when the temperature was above freezing. Each tripod was less than a year old when it broke.

For the last eight months I've been using a tripod from RRS (Really Right Stuff), and it has endured some crazy conditions in that time. It's a real champ, performs beautifully, and has made shooting in adverse conditions and in rough terrain a lot easier for me. I'm very happy with it.

As for accessory purchases…I think my most recent would be these two camera backpacks, along with their compatible tripod bags and rain covers:

I keep buying camera bags that I think are plenty big enough, only to realize later that I need something even bigger. I'm actually carrying less gear now than I did a year or two ago, but my excursions keep getting longer and more demanding, so I've been needing to carry a lot of additional layers and survival items. I now have more camera bags in storage than I can count, and I'm already wondering if I might need an even larger photo backpack for trekking than the primary one that I recently bought!
What make/model is that pack?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
What make/model is that pack?

They are both from f-stop gear. The big one on the left is the f-stop Satori EXP with two f-stop tripod bags attached (one on either side). The smaller backpack that I am wearing in the photo is the f-stop Loka. The backpacks take interchangeable "ICUs" (Internal Camera Units), of which we have three different sizes for different needs. So far I've been using the "Medium Pro" size exclusively, though.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
AKATACA995265139.jpg
Anybody had any experience using Rain covers? Not sure if I need one or not? I'm not thinking of going out in the pouring rain, just wondering if when I'm out and it starts with a few drops do you bother or just carry on regardless and give it a good wipe afterwards?
Also I was a bit surprised at the cost!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.