Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugcop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Traveling @ Warp Speed ...... USA
I have had every iPhone since the 3GS. Early on I stood in line for hours to get each new model. As they started allowing you to order and receive one at the time they went on sale, I would set my alarm to get up in the middle of the night to place an order. I did the same with iPad 1, 2, 3 and mini.

I guess some would call me a fan. However, this go round I have seen nothing rumored in the 5s that has even peaked my interest. If all the design team can come up with is more processor and memory with a finger print reader I'll most likely sit out this round.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I have had every iPhone since the 3GS. Early on I stood in line for hours to get each new model. As they started allowing you to order and receive one at the time they went on sale, I would set my alarm to get up in the middle of the night to place an order. I did the same with iPad 1, 2, 3 and mini.

I guess some would call me a fan. However, this go round I have seen nothing rumored in the 5s that has even peaked my interest. If all the design team can come up with is more processor and memory with a finger print reader I'll most likely sit out this round.

Your honesty and refusal to suck up to Apple is refreshing.

I am disappointed its come to this, especially since I'm a big Apple enthusiast and enjoy the excitement. It's why I buy every new iPhone each year. But this year not only am I less than impressed, I have already decided to pass without hesitation.

I may buy a plastic iPhone just because I find it interesting, but I already know that I'll dump it after a few weeks.

The really good news is my spanking new Galaxy S4 has exceeded my every expectation. This phone is such an exciting fun phone I never would have guessed it would be so great. The ultra high resolution display is just stunning.

Little did I know how terrific Samsung and Android would be.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
If you buy a phone, expecting it to bring excitement to your life, you might want a hobby. :rolleyes:
The rumors about the new iPhone have piqued my interest and I'll definitely be getting the 5S.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
If you buy a phone, expecting it to bring excitement to your life, you might want a hobby. :rolleyes:
The rumors about the new iPhone have piqued my interest and I'll definitely be getting the 5S.

How can you have made a definite decision based on rumours?

Bako-MacAddict

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2012
California
Easrercat,

Why wouldn't you be excited for a new iPhone ? Give the guy a break ; I think everyone is excited for their new toy or at least extremely interested on a upcoming device. Why do we joined this forums in the first place ? I like to read all the excitment news,rumors ,and finally when the product arrives , learn more about the device by visiting these forums and get more info.That's just me I guess . Doesn't mean I don't have other hobbies ? Lol

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Early on I stood in line for hours to get each new model. However, this go round I have seen nothing rumored in the 5s that has even peaked my interest.

You're five years older. You've grown up. You've realised there's more important things in life than having someone on the bus say "Excuse me, is that the new iPhone?"

The only people who queue for hours to buy a mobile telephone are teenagers, geeks and people who have no friends.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Surely iOS 7 is more of a reason to get excited (or not)? Hardware is meaningless without the appropriate and suitable software upgrades.

Imagine a S4 running exactly the same software as a S3 which in turn ran exactly the same software as the S2?

Hardware bumps have become par for the course but fundamentally more important are the software bumps.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Surely iOS 7 is more of a reason to get excited (or not)? Hardware is meaningless without the appropriate and suitable software upgrades.

Imagine a S4 running exactly the same software as a S3 which in turn ran exactly the same software as the S2?

Hardware bumps have become par for the course but fundamentally more important are the software bumps.
OP has mentioned that he has had every iPhone since 3GS, so I'm assuming that currently he owns iPhone 5. Obviously he can update to iOS 7 with no probs, but he would love to to get new and not just the same looking, internally tweaked 5S.
Personally I can totally relate to that. I currently have iPhone 5 and would love to see the release of the bigger screen, redesigned iPhone 6 instead of yet another predictable, boring, the same looking iPhone "S" edition.
Apple sits on the pile of gold, surely they have funds and necessary resources to release brand new looking iPhone every year instead of just putting upgraded internals into the same old body.
Tim Cook recently mentioned that Apple is doubling up on secrecy and the announcement of Mac Pro proves that to be correct, so I'm quietly hoping for a big surprise on Sep the 10th ;)
Oh well, not long to go...

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yeah, wouldn't mind a 4.5" or 4.7" iPhone either. Improved camera too, maybe some floating lens technology aka Nokia Lumia range...

I just feel while hardware upgrades are always welcome I'm more intrigued with what iOS 7 brings to the table.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
You are telling me you were excited when:

- They changed the aluminium back cover to plastic and just added 3G?
- They simply gave the CPU a speed bump and introduced the 3GS?
- They introduced the iPhone 4 which had already been leaked a month prior to the keynote?
- They introduced the iPhone 4S which was considered to be the nail on Apple's coffin on MacRumors since it was merely a speed bump, only for it to sell like hotcakes and give Apple it's best year ever?
- They introduced the iPhone 5, which had also been leaked months prior to the keynote?

iPhone keynotes have never been truly exciting except for the first one. I think this is the most exciting keynote since the original one, because for the first time ever a completely new iPhone (5C) will be introduced and a new hardware feature is introduced (fingerprint sensor). This is quite new as opposed to the regular 'faster, thinner, lighter, better screen, better camera, etc'.

You have all the right in the world not to be excited. I don't blame you. But don't use your lack of excitement to judge how well Apple is performing.

Also, please bear in mind that this will be the seventh iPhone keynote. You can't expect keynotes to bring the same level of excitement over and over again. After all, it's just a phone. It was special five years ago, it becomes less special every year.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
iPhone keynotes have never been truly exciting except for the first one. I think this is the most exciting keynote since the original one, because for the first time ever a completely new iPhone (5C) will be introduced and a new hardware feature is introduced (fingerprint sensor). This is quite new as opposed to the regular 'faster, thinner, lighter, better screen, better camera, etc'.

I agree, +1.

iphone 4 > 4S was the most boring iphone update imo (cause they can't top the retina display introduce in 4, only siri, new camera, faster processor, etc), and this year "S" version with the fingerprint sensor, dual led plus new low end phone might be the most exciting keynote ever.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Leaks from previous years indeed killed part of the excitement and this year seems to be no different in regards to iPhone 5C - lots of photos and hi res videos, but have you guys noticed that we don't get much about iPhone 5S. There are no photos, videos or any images of it, just few internal tiny electronic parts and few other rumours about camera and finger print sensor and assumptions that it will follow the same design as current iPhone 5, but in reality everything we know about it is just a word of mouth, very different from the coverage we were getting in previous years, nobody even knows what will it look like...

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

Thank you. Finally someone spelled it correctly. A petty thing, I know, but it's refreshing lol. And your comment is right on the mark. Love the phone, but it is still just a phone.

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Leaks from previous years indeed killed part of the excitement and this year seems to be no different in regards to iPhone 5C - lots of photos and hi res videos, but have you guys noticed that we don't get much about iPhone 5S. There are no photos, videos or any images of it, just few internal tiny electronic parts and few other rumours about camera and finger print sensor and assumptions that it will follow the same design as current iPhone 5, but in reality everything we know about it is just a word of mouth, very different from the coverage we were getting in previous years, nobody even knows what will it look like...

Nice that you try to keep up the hope on a fresh design....
But the part holding the dual LED flash is already leaked.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Oh ok.

Personally, all I ever see is iPhones in cheap, plastic cases (usually in the shape of a cassette tape), so the only bit of the phone that's visible is the screen and the home button - that has stayed the same since day one so I'm surprised the redesign is a wow factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.