Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Who knows? But there isn't much rumors or news about it. It could or could not be, considering that the iPod Touch 4th gen was released in 2010, and then the 5th in 2012. But then again, I don't think so, because Apple is way more busy with other stuff. New iOS, new iPhone, new iPad, new iPadMini, new macs....
But the iPod Touch was updated yearly before they skipped a year. It's a tough call. I think it depends on how iOS 7 works on the current iPods.

The change could be as little as the 4th gen going away and the storage capacities on the 5th gen changing. Or they could actually update the iPod touch.

For a September/Octoner release, I'm not surprised we haven't heard much on possible iPod changes since everyone is focusing on iPhones and iPads. And the new iPod parts (if any) could be mistaken for iPhone parts.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I'd say 95% yes.

It will have an ambient light sensor, an A6 processor with 1GB of RAM (same as the iPhone 5) and many other new features that the 7th Gen iPhone gets (not all of them, though).

The 5th Gen will be sold in 16GB and 32GB configurations at the current 4th Gen prices (plus maybe $20), and the new 6th Gen will be sold at 32GB and 64GB (and possibly 128GB if 7th Gen iPhone gets it) at the current 5th Gen prices.

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I predict a software change with iOS 7 lurking and a A6 chip for the next iPod touch. Apple might discontinued the 4th gen and probably offer a 16GB 5th gen at a cheaper price to make up for the 4th gen.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I'd say 95% yes.

It will have an ambient light sensor, an A6 processor with 1GB of RAM (same as the iPhone 5) and many other new features that the 7th Gen iPhone gets (not all of them, though).

The 5th Gen will be sold in 16GB and 32GB configurations at the current 4th Gen prices (plus maybe $20), and the new 6th Gen will be sold at 32GB and 64GB (and possibly 128GB if 7th Gen iPhone gets it) at the current 5th Gen prices.

I'd have to say and why would you bother upgrading to that?

Cant imagine biometric access being that much of a requirement for a iPT and it's already got a great camera(s) etc. for role.

The current version isn't exactly slow and has the current iPhone5 screen and will be capable of running latest OS in 6 months+ time.

The iPod Touch doesn't have much by way of rivalry either...

We're 1/2 way through the year and not much by way of leaks... my money is on nothing till 2014.

----------

I predict a software change with iOS 7 lurking and a A6 chip for the next iPod touch. Apple might discontinued the 4th gen and probably offer a 16GB 5th gen at a cheaper price to make up for the 4th gen.

^^ this.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I'd have to say and why would you bother upgrading to that?

I wouldn't. Apple would be going for the large amount of people still on 4th Gen touchs, not those who upgraded last year.

The current version isn't exactly slow and has the current iPhone5 screen and will be capable of running latest OS in 6 months+ time.

That's what I said about the 4th Gen on iOS 4. Time will tell though...

We're 1/2 way through the year and not much by way of leaks... my money is on nothing till 2014.

Just because we've seen no leaks doesn't mean the 6th Gen doesn't exist. We didn't even get 5th Gen leaks until at most a month before the event.

bammbamm678

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
I dont think so

I don't think there will be a new iPod touch out this year. They skipped 2011, so I think they will skip 2013. They just released the 16 GB iPod Touch, so they probably won't release the 6 generation in the same year.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I got an iPod touch 5 and have been impressed by it. I use the camera flash and airplay mirroring a lot. They need a camera flash on ipads.

But my worry with ipods is features apple remove from them, eg. the ipod nano with camera (many agree was a really cool feature). New ipod nanos don't have a camera.

So although we might be interested in new features of an ipod touch 6, I'm interested in which features they remove. If they remove the camera flash and airplay mirroring, I'll be straight onto ebay to buy 10 ipod touch 5's. And I won't buy a single solitary ipod touch 6 from apple!

Last edited:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I got an iPod touch 5 and have been impressed by it. I use the camera flash and airplay mirroring a lot. They need a camera flash on ipads.

But my worry with ipods is features apple remove from them, eg. the ipod nano with camera (many agree was a really cool feature). New ipod nanos don't have a camera.

So although we might be interested in new features of an ipod touch 6, I'm interested in which features they remove. If they remove the camera flash and airplay mirroring, I'll be straight onto ebay to buy 10 ipod touch 5's. And I won't buy a single solitary ipod touch 6 from apple!

iPod touches seldom get features removed....I have been using them since the 2nd generation. The jump from the 4th to the 5th saw the removal of the Ambient Light Sensor, However, that was due to the device being ultra slim, this feature could return in the 6th gen.

lapino

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Just bought a 5th gen a couple weeks ago, and would love to have a GPS sensor inside. In fact, it's the only thing I really miss (for example for running, coyote radar app ...)

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Probably a given that the 4th gen will no longer be sold when iOS7 is released, as there is no developer preview for that model.

Only things I think are missing on the 5th gen are the aforementioned light sensor, and maybe something nice like an improved flash would be appreciated.

Would be nice to see a processor and RAM bump as well, but got my doubts. 5th gen does circles around the 4th gen.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
The change could be as little as the 4th gen going away and the storage capacities on the 5th gen changing.

It has already happened. If you look at the Apple Store website, the 4th gen isn't listed anymore. In place of it is the 5th Gen iPod Touch model without the camera...

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
It has already happened. If you look at the Apple Store website, the 4th gen isn't listed anymore. In place of it is the 5th Gen iPod Touch model without the camera...
Look at the date I posted that comment. It was before that iPod lineup change happened.

Last edited:

alen mcgra

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2013
I actually was in contact with Phil Schiller of Apple, and I complained about the missing Ambient Light Sensor, and Battery Percentage not being present.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I would like to see a price drop. 300$ for an iPod touch is a little ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
I would like to see a price drop. ≈ 700 US$ for an iPhone is a little ridiculous

Sent from my 2 million US$ real estate using Tapatalk 2

----------

Posts in this section have been declining too.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
Good example.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
They could create universal specs that include the iPod Touch/iPhone, the iPad mini, and the iPad.

You would be able to select screen size (4", 7.9", 9.7") maybe even add 5" or 6", color, storage(16,32,64,128), wifi or cellular (ATT,Verizon,Sprint,etc).

That way they could release the same specs at the same time each year and make the naming of each generation and pricing less confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.