Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the expected introduction of Apple's iPhone 5S now less than a month away, French site Nowhereelse.fr has shared some new photos [Google translation] of an alleged iPhone 5S rear shell. While the part has been seen a number of times in the past, the site has put together some overlays and iPhone 5 comparison photos to help provide an overview of some of the changes expected for the device.

iphone_5s_shell_logic_board_overlay.jpg
One example shows an overlay of the iPhone 5S bare logic board, which has leaked several times in recent months. The part contains a number of repositioned screw holes compared to the iPhone 5 logic board, and overlay photos shows how these holes line up exactly with mounting points on the rear shell.

Also of interest is the home button region, as Apple has been reported to be incorporating a fingerprint sensor into the part, perhaps moving to a sapphire-covered convex design to help accommodate the sensor.

iphone_5_5s_home_button_spacer.jpg
Nowhereelse.fr's comparison photos show how the metal spacer shield for the home button has changed from the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 5S, with the previous nearly symmetric design moving to an asymmetric design with altered screw hole locations and an angled edge along one side.

The exact reason for the design changes on the spacer is unclear given a lack of other parts, but it seems reasonable to suspect that they may be related to accommodating the fingerprint sensor.

Apple's September 10 media event is expected to include the introduction of the iPhone 5S and perhaps the "iPhone 5C", a lower-cost model built around a plastic shell. Apple is also preparing to introduce new iPads in the coming months, although those are not expected to debut at this event.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Changes Highlighted in New Rear Shell Comparison Photos

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I am still skeptical about the existence of the fingerprint sensor because (to my knowledge) there have not been any parts leaks. Am I missing something?

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Leaked Parts

With a little bit more effort we could literally build the new iPhone with the given leaked parts. :D

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
I'm trying to understand what a fingerprint scanner gives me over just a normal home button. If anything let's get rid the big round home button and reduce the bezzle/size of the phone.

Although really I'm in the "want a bigger screen" camp.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Well this made my morning!

----------

I'm trying to understand what a fingerprint scanner gives me over just a normal home button. If anything let's get rid the big round home button and reduce the bezzle/size of the phone.

It will kill off passwords on iTunes and the App Store.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
As we get closer to September 10th there are going to be more and more leaks. We'll know practically everything about the next iPhone by then. But you know Apple is going to keep the lid on a few things to surprise us with.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009

not having to enter a PIN/Code whenever you unlock the device, which I think is pretty great

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
5s changes

Wow, it looks so much like last years model since we cannot take the phone apart to see the guts anyway. This is very impressive flim flam. Introduce the 5S as new when in reality its so last year. Amazining.:(

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA

This is what I envision, and I am excited for it to happen!

Attachments

• finger-print.jpg
    finger-print.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 536

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Wow, it looks so much like last years model since we cannot take the phone apart to see the guts anyway. This is very impressive flim flam. Introduce the 5S as new when in reality its so last year. Amazining.:(

They've had this style of every two year models being basically the same for a while now.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia

I agree with you on this one. So much room on the bezel is wasted because of the big round home button. I've seen several of these break or fail over time. Just do a search for "Broken iPhone Home Button" in Google and you'll get pages of articles about faulty buttons.

Apple could make a capacitive home button and if they wanted to, include a screen print of the apple logo where it would be. It could light up when touched, similar to how the back and menu buttons do on the Galaxy S4 and Windows Phones. This would make having a larger screen on the iPhone easier.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Is no one else wondering why this looks blue? :confused:

Well this is the pic at the top of the original article.
iphone-5s-367.jpg

The cropped MacRumors pics make it less obvious but in the orginals you can see that the photographer placed the bare parts against a blue background and the blue is showing through the cutouts.
I guess they really like blue.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
all i'm hoping is bigger battery.
which can't be seen in here, but i'm hopeful.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010

wish you had switched to Android a long time ago like you claimed you were going to so we wouldn't have to listen to your complaining.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Still no fingerprint sensor home button. This is getting a bit repetitive seeing the backplate over and over. We get it, there is some design changes. SHOW THE HOME BUTTON! I also would like to see more evidence of the rumored, "champagne" color besides volume buttons.

For those of you wondering about the blue background color, if you go to the original post on Nowhereelse, the backplate is set on a blue background.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Are you new because the iPhones have historically taken on this pattern. The 3G and 3GS were the same cosmetically. The 4 and 4S as well. What makes anyone think the 5 and 5S won't share the same shell?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.