Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emmgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Hello MP4tools users. A new beta has been released with the addition of what is probably the most requested feature. Lets see who figures it out first :). It's still rough, and there is a major hole beyond my control that needs to be resolved, but hopefully you'll find it useful. Feel free to share any feedback/requests via the beta e-mail address.

Cheers.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hello MP4tools users. A new beta has been released with the addition of what is probably the most requested feature. Lets see who figures it out first :). It's still rough, and there is a major hole beyond my control that needs to be resolved, but hopefully you'll find it useful. Feel free to share any feedback/requests via the beta e-mail address.

Cheers.

Metadata edit & search :)

BTW, it's REALLY beta - couldn't find anything Avatar-related, as can be seen in my third screenshot below. The second screenshot shows the test file I used as a demo one in my metadata tutorial posted here at MR.

mp4tools-metadata1.png

mp4tools-metadata2.png

mp4tools-metadata3.png

Kattym

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
It's still rough, and there is a major hole beyond my control that needs to be resolved, but hopefully you'll find it useful.
Cheers.

It is really rough, but still the advantages are clearly seen ) Thanks!

emmgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Metadata edit & search :)

BTW, it's REALLY beta - couldn't find anything Avatar-related, as can be seen in my third screenshot below.

I have seen strange results like this in my testing and from what I can tell, it's a The Movie Database search issue. Expected results usually show up after a while. I just did an avatar search and got the expected movies returned. Other than the title and a few filters, there is not much to searching in their API. Let me know if you are consistently getting the above results though.

It is really rough, but still the advantages are clearly seen ) Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Note, what you consider to be "rough" I might be thinking of as "done". If you stare at the interface for what seems like years, you tend to get a different perspective than the end users :), so be sure to send specific feedback to the beta e-mail if there are any rough edges that you think definitely need to be cleaned up. Thanks.

emmgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
TV metadata searching is finally enabled in the newest beta. There are also some bug fixes and gui changes. As always, feel free to send feedback to the beta e-mail address.

emmgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FYI. There's a new update to the beta. The finalizing step has now finally been reworked and you should see dramatic speed improvements. The "file size" bug should now be taken care of. Also, "Optimizing" is now optional (see preferences). As always, any feedback sent to the beta e-mail address is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

emmgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
There's a new beta posted which might be of interest to those of you that hate to give up your DTS tracks. The "add 2-ch. track" checkbox is now gone, and replaced with the ability to make multiple conversion selections for individual audio tracks. So, for example, if you have a video with a DTS track, you can pass it through to keep the high bitrate track for potential future use, while also converting to 5.1 AC3 and stereo AAC for playback.

Other changes include a rearrangement of the GUI and various bug fixes. A final release is coming soon, so keep the feedback coming if you have any requests or bug reports. As always, the beta e-mail address is best.

Cheers.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
There's a new beta posted which might be of interest to those of you that hate to give up your DTS tracks. The "add 2-ch. track" checkbox is now gone, and replaced with the ability to make multiple conversion selections for individual audio tracks. So, for example, if you have a video with a DTS track, you can pass it through to keep the high bitrate track for potential future use, while also converting to 5.1 AC3 and stereo AAC for playback.

Other changes include a rearrangement of the GUI and various bug fixes. A final release is coming soon, so keep the feedback coming if you have any requests or bug reports. As always, the beta e-mail address is best.

Cheers.

I'm hoping you or someone else with more knowledge than me can help me out with a question in regards to the newest version, and specifically the 2-ch process.
I select device as an Apple TV 3, but would also in the past include the "add 2-ch track" so it would play ok on my iPad. In the newest version, when checking 2-ch, you're asked to manually include the bit-rate, i.e. 128 kbps.
I'm unsure on which to check. Running a file through MediaInfo, it lists the audio as 384 kbps. Would I therefore choose 384 in Mp4Tools, or leave it as 128? In other words, how do I know the correct audio kbps to choose?
Thank you

emmgunn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
As mentioned, there is new release (versions 3.3.x) incorporating all features of the betas. For future reference, the beta link is fairly well hidden :), but you'll find it on the MP4tools download page.

benh911 - The old "add 2-ch track" option would automatically set the bit rate to 160, so you should see similar results if you use that value. The change in how the audio is handled was to offer more flexibility to users, but there is always a struggle to maintain a balance between power and ease of use. Hopefully the balance is still(?) there with this new release.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.