Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest earnings report by Tencent, a Chinese Internet giant, has revealed that the cross-platform instant messaging service WeChat and its counterpart Weixin have hit a combined high of 235.8 million users monthly, an increase of 176.8% year-on-year.

WeChat's usage figure is just shy of that of WhatsApp, which exceeded 300 million monthly users last month and is currently the world's most popular cross-platform messenger. An update to WhatsApp last week provided one-tap voice messaging across all platforms.

Screen-Shot-2013-08-14-at-12.46.42-pm.png
WeChat's rise can be partially attributed to increased marketing efforts by Tencent, which owns WeChat, as the Internet giant attempts to establish a more solid presence in the mobile world.

The company recently signed Lionel Messi, an Argentinian footballer widely considered to be one of the best in the world, as its product ambassador and a recent report by GSMInsider revealed that 70 million WeChat users are located outside of China. The app is currently available on iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone and Symbian devices and is available in a number of different languages, including English, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Portuguese.

Although WeChat is similar to WhatsApp, the service is mainly tailored towards Chinese users. A recent update last week added the ability to purchase stickers from a built-in store and search for nearby friends using the "Hold Together" function. The Q2 earnings report showed that Tencent experienced a 156.5% year-on-year increase in "e-commerce transactions", which were up to RMB 2.199.4 million ($356 million).

WeChat is a free download in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: WhatsApp Rival WeChat Continues Strong Growth as User Base Tops 235 Million

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
"The company recently signed Lionel Messi, an Argentinian footballer widely considered to be one of the best in the world..."

He is by far THE best player in the world.

I expect better footballing knowledge from an Apple forum.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Now now, let's not declare opinions as facts.

then you are at the wrong forum.

regarding messi its a perfectly open debate about who is the best. his dependance on xavi and iniesta is too much imo.

i would like to see him to for more argentina and in another league than the spanish one

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Now now, let's not declare opinions as facts.

His goals, assists, general play, stats and trophy cabinet make it fact :D

regarding messi its a perfectly open debate about who is the best. his dependance on xavi and iniesta is too much imo.

i would like to see him to for more argentina and in another league than the spanish one

Regarding Argentina, he has finally hit his stride with 20 goals in the last 2.5 years, which is pretty amazing. But yes, his big chance will be next year at the Brazil World Cup. If he can inspire Argentina to the final, all discussions will be over.

But don't forget a whole generation of international players have been made irrelevant due to Spain being so good.

Regarding a dependance on Xavi and Iniesta? Not any more. C'mon, he's scored 233 goals in the last 4 seasons.

Different planet.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
"The company recently signed Lionel Messi, an Argentinian footballer widely considered to be one of the best in the world..."

He is by far THE best player in the world.

I expect better footballing knowledge from an Apple forum.

When I saw that line in the article I just knew there were going to be a bunch of posts about Messi ;) I'm no soccer expert but I did see him in the Argentina vs. Brazil match at the Meadowlands last year where he scored three goals. If he's not the best player in the world then he's high up on a very short list.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
His goals, assists, general play, stats and trophy cabinet make it fact :D

Regarding Argentina, he has finally hit his stride with 20 goals in the last 2.5 years, which is pretty amazing. But yes, his big chance will be next year at the Brazil World Cup. If he can inspire Argentina to the final, all discussions will be over.

But don't forget a whole generation of international players have been made irrelevant due to Spain being so good.

Regarding a dependance on Xavi and Iniesta? Not any more. C'mon, he's scored 233 goals in the last 4 seasons.

Different planet.

I think you'll find Michael Jordan is actually the best footballer...

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Damn nearly 300m users and I've never heard of it!

Though I guess it makes sense if 2/3 of them are China based.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011

By that logic, lebron isn't the best in the world either. And I'd agree.

Mr Fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
Dublin
One of

Perhaps better choices would have been one of the following.

Messi, widely believed to be the best player in the world, ...

Or

Messi, regarded as one of the best players in the world, ...

It is not really disputable that many believe he is the best, so reportage of the belief is fine.

----------

It's pretty easy to reach those numbers if you're in the Chinese market. NEXT

For a second I thought you were referring to Messi's goal tally.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My family in Taiwan has been using Line. Anyone know of a benefit of switching? I'd like to switch, the way Line handles things is kinda odd, but I have to have a great reason to get everyone to move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.