Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has just announced via its App Store Facebook page that PopCap's much-anticipated Plants vs. Zombies 2 app for iOS will be released on Thursday, August 15.

"It's about time," reads the announcement above a photo of a PvZ-style zombie hand reaching out of the dirt. "Guess what game is coming tomorrow?"

While Plants vs. Zombies 2 was originally meant to launch on July 18, PopCap opted to delay the game to implement further tweaks to its in-app purchase pricing. The game soft launched in Australia and New Zealand on July 9 for testing purposes.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 will feature the same lane defense gameplay that made the original game a hit, but it also includes time travel to all new locations. Unlike the first game, PvZ 2 will be available as a freemium title. PopCap has stated that players will be able to access "the vast majority of the game" without paying money.

The announcement does not specify the time that the game will be made available, but Thursday releases can often be downloaded on Wednesday night, at 11 p.m ET.

Update: Plants vs. Zombies 2 can now be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launching Worldwide on August 15 [Update: Now Available]

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Would have bought it for a one time upfront cost, but not with this micro-transaction crap.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
After the playing the early New Zealand release the freemium wasn't that bad but I expect that to change. But the game wasn't nowhere near as good as the original.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I'm glad that its finally launching. I'm excited for it as PVZ 1 was a classic. I just hope EA doesn't bone us from behind for stuff like plants and other obvious upgrades.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
There's 6 plants behind a paywall. Other than that, everything else can be unlocked via playing the game. Some levels, though, require use of powerups, and said powerups cost in game money, and in game money if you don't have enough, costs real money.

One can get plenty of play without paying, but one can't get the "complete experience" without paying. Pick your poison.

I would have paid up front for the full game, as well.

knight556

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2006
Christchurch, New Zealand
Day 1 of playing PvZ 2: Hated it.
Day 2: Starting to grow on me.
Day 3: Not too bad...
Day 4: Could it be better than the original...?
Day 10: I don't want to play the original game ever again.

Yes, some of the 'classic' plants are behind the pay wall, but they are mainly there for the diehard fans who want some nostalgia. There are enough new plants to try that you won't need the old ones.

Overall, there are enough new game dynamics and new tactics to learn that you really don't miss the old game. In fact, PvZ 1 seems kinda sterile and boring compared to PvZ 2.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree with Knight, it's actually a better game. The gameplay is more varied but it's just as polished as the original.

Are the paywall plants ridiculously expensive for what they are? Of course. Do you feel like you're missing out for not buying them? Not at all. You only need to pay if you want an easier game experience (so you can spam power ups) or you really miss the old plants.

I would have preferred the old pay model, of course, but freemium has not ruined PvZ2 in the least.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i got it with my NZ account a while ago and its absolutely the worst. they try to get you addicted and than they expect you to pay something like 4 bucks for each world like wtf

EA sucks

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Calm down people. Those who are hating have obviously not played the game yet. I've played the entire game, and not spent one penny. I wish all freemium games were like this. You only spend money if you want to move ahead in the game w/o earning it or if you want to buy coins for cheat-nuking the screen or buying plants you otherwise can't have (these are from the 1st game and are definitely not needed). You are NOT required to spend anything, and since I paid $6.99 for the 1st game, this turned out to be great.

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.

Freemium games started out as a way for developers to nickel and dime players but I think that style is going to disappear and we'll start seeing a less intrusive IAP style.

In the end I think it'll be a win-win for both players and developers.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
Calm down people. Those who are hating have obviously not played the game yet. I've played the entire game, and not spent one penny. I wish all freemium games were like this. You only spend money if you want to move ahead in the game w/o earning it or if you want to buy coins for cheat-nuking the screen or buying plants you otherwise can't have (these are from the 1st game and are definitely not needed). You are NOT required to spend anything, and since I paid $6.99 for the 1st game, this turned out to be great.
Sounds like a levelheaded response. Were there any ads?

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
Finally I will be able to rate it 1 star for the tedious work it makes you do just for being free.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Just like real racing 3 you will be able to get a tweaked save which will provide you with a few million game coins.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I thought the first game had a little bit of pay content even after purchasing the game. Such as to unlock certain special mini-games etc (incase you didn't have enough coins earned during the game). But I guess it was a lot easier to get through the game without paying an extra dime for additional content, then a lot of freemium game models now have. (aka Candy Crush)

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'll try it, but as soon as I begin to feel EA is making me grind too much to get ahead without paying, I'm done. I would've gladly paid $5 or even $10 for the game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.