Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veneto

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
You think since Apple is coming out with a low end iPhone that they could possibly come out with a high end phone as well?

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Where have you been ? Its been rumored/stated/shown for good while that the iPhone 5S will be the high end along with a low end iPhone 5C....:confused:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
There was another poster yesterday proposing a similar idea, having the iPhone 5C replace the 4S at the low end, leave the iPhone 5 as is.. and then introduce the iphone 5S at a HIGHER price point than the current 5.

I have doubts whether even mighty Apple can keep a phone at the same price point for two years..

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
There was another poster yesterday proposing a similar idea, having the iPhone 5C replace the 4S at the low end, leave the iPhone 5 as is.. and then introduce the iphone 5S at a HIGHER price point than the current 5.

I have doubts whether even mighty Apple can keep a phone at the same price point for two years..

I highly doubt that will happen. I see it going one of two ways, either the 5C replaces the 4 in the current lineup and the current 5 drops to the price of the 4S, and the 5S takes the spot that the 5 has right now, or Apple drops both the 4S and 5 and goes with only the iPhone 5S and 5C. I'd be very surprised if we saw the price go up much or even at all for the top end model.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I highly doubt that will happen. I see it going one of two ways, either the 5C replaces the 4 in the current lineup and the current 5 drops to the price of the 4S, and the 5S takes the spot that the 5 has right now, or Apple drops both the 4S and 5 and goes with only the iPhone 5S and 5C. I'd be very surprised if we saw the price go up much or even at all for the top end model.

Don't think they will change the current 199 pricing structure. But it will be interesting to see where this 5C will belong at in the lineup. They're definitely going to get rid of the 4 and 4S because of the lack of the lightning connector.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
My prediction

Two models of 5C. Low end with A5 chip high end with A6.

And 5S with A7 and all other goodies.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Why so many tiers? I hate that. There will hopefully be a 5S and a 5C for the lowend. They may keep the 5 around too, but I wish they wouldn't.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
How about this: 5C is the ONLY phone released this year. 5S comes out next year. I think this is possible. There haven't been many worthwhile rumors supporting the 5S.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
How about this: 5C is the ONLY phone released this year. 5S comes out next year. I think this is possible. There haven't been many worthwhile rumors supporting the 5S.

Except from the leaked 5S cases with room for a larger battery and double flash ofcourse.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The key difference will likely be drive capacity. I'm assuming the 5C stands for 'Cloud'? So the 5C could only have a basic 4Gb capacity and reduce price.

(though the word 'Cheap' also comes to mind)

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Except from the leaked 5S cases with room for a larger battery and double flash ofcourse.

Leaked cases mean nothing. Case makers rarely (if ever) know the real dimensions of Apple products before they are released. Otherwise there would be tons of cases available on the iPhone's launch day, but there never are.

Double flash was a rumor last year (5) and the year before (4S), so that's not exactly solid ground.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
If 5C is affordable, it would very well replace the iPod Touch.

Why would anybody buy an iPod Touch when, for the same price you can buy an iPhone 5C?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The Cheap iPhone looks good to me. Price doesn't matter, it's the fact that's I can dump my disappointing, dated looking iPhone 5 and buy one of these.

I bet the plastic iPhone will be much more comfortable and secure to hold. I hate cases, and plastic has a much nicer feel. Especially on really cold days, it's going to be ergonomically superior. Another very nice advantage is its design with gently rounded corners. It's a very attractive phone.

I predict the Cheap phone will sell in vast numbers. I am sure many will say its because its less expensive, which in some cases will be true, yet I know many iPhone 5 users that can't wait to get rid of the scratch prone, skinny screened, rather dull iPhone 5.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Will the iPhone 5S be higher end than the iPhone 5?

You must be joking right ? Haven't we just said that Apple will release the iPhone 5S that is a high end replacement for the iphone 5, and yes its higher ended than the 5 mobil ? :confused:

No, the year-old iPhone 5 will be higher end than the new 5S. :rolleyes:

OP must be either really new at this or is trolling with stupid posts....

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
If 5C is affordable, it would very well replace the iPod Touch.

Why would anybody buy an iPod Touch when, for the same price you can buy an iPhone 5C?

Affordable is going to be a relative term. It's going to be affordable for an iPhone, likely in the $400-$450 which would put it at $0-$99 on contract with the carriers. It's not going to be iPod touch affordable.

alvarez16

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009

There is no way Apple does this. Their stock already lost a ton of value this year (been up the last few day though) and if this happens, it will tank.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.