Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbolt11

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2013
Even if you need better-than-average color accuracy, you could always just do an external display. Which I think a macbook air + 24" dell ultrasharp might be the combo for me.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
For me it isn't even about color accuracy, that's what my iMac is for. It's that the air didn't even look right out of the box without the proper gamma adjustment.

The washed out look was literally making my eyes hurt :/

bravenewmac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2010
Ok so i calibrated booth of them using color munki display, and its still the same. Colors are 100% the same on booth of them. Only thing i can confirm is minimal (and with minimal i really really mean minimal) sharper text on the samsung. Nothing to make a fuss about and certanatly nothing to return a LG for!

also pictures:

iDR4tQCNjH1cZ.jpg

ibi83E0drMgXOD.jpg

the lines in the first picture can be ignored. The top is the samsung the second one the LG.

If someone could be so kind and tell me where colormunki saves the profiles i could upload the LG and SAMSUNG .icc profiles for you. It doesnt save it on /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ because i have 3 colormunki profiles and cant find 3 there.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I can see a clear difference in the skin tones on both people in between the two displays

currins

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2010
Hopefully you find a way to post the profiles here (personally, I have no idea). I have the LG on my 13 MBA. I've tried the standard "macrumors" profile but the blacks are too washed out.

Looking forward to trying yours hopefully.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
yeha the samsung is a bit darker - but thats not really a color difference.

could you tell us about the measurements for black levels, brightness, and viewing angles?

if it's not too much to ask.. it'd be much appreciated seeing a comparison for the viewing angles like how the site notebookcheck does it:

csm_Blickwinkel_1dad94278d.jpg

i love how this site measure the display levels like blacks, contrast, and ppi

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Air-13-Mid-2013-MD760D-A-Subnotebook.96311.0.html

Last edited:

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Ok so i calibrated booth of them using color munki display, and its still the same. Colors are 100% the same on booth of them. Only thing i can confirm is minimal (and with minimal i really really mean minimal) sharper text on the samsung. Nothing to make a fuss about and certanatly nothing to return a LG for!

also pictures:

the lines in the first picture can be ignored. The top is the samsung the second one the LG.

If someone could be so kind and tell me where colormunki saves the profiles i could upload the LG and SAMSUNG .icc profiles for you. It doesnt save it on /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ because i have 3 colormunki profiles and cant find 3 there.

IMO the samsung colors look a bit brighter and more colorful. I bought the 13" macbook air a couple of weeks ago (got the LG) and immediately the display bothered me. The color looked dull and I've tried every calibration profile I found for the display and while it did make it look less washed out, the quality was muddy/dull looking overall.

One test I did was going to netflix.com with the color red from the netflix logo, which looked dark red/dull/muddy looking no matter how I calibrated the display. Even on the cheap dell the red looked like it popped compared to the LG of the MBA. I returned it since it bothered me that much, otherwise it was a nice little machine.

I'm going to wait for the IPS display of the 13" macbook pro retina. Just something about the MBA's display overall on the LG did not give me that really colorful/vibrant/pop look at all but instead an overall dull yet acceptable quality screen.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
That's exactly how I feel about the 2 displays.

IMO the samsung colors look a bit brighter and more colorful. I bought the 13" macbook air a couple of weeks ago (got the LG) and immediately the display bothered me. The color looked dull and I've tried every calibration profile I found for the display and while it did make it look less washed out, the quality was muddy/dull looking overall.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I sampled both for a week and here's what I concluded:

1 - Out of the box, Sammy is better in terms of color, truer white point and text sharpness. LG seems to have a higher contrast, hence the washed out look.

2- Once calibrated, they are almost identical, but the Samsung still displays text with more crispness.

3- Post calibration, LG's whites looked a bit dirty [ max brightness ] while Samsung's were milky white.

Off angle viewing was as expected from a non-IPS panel.

I kept the Samsung, but if you didn't compare both or your eyes are not very discriminating...you'll find the LG just fine, for the most part!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
text is definitely more clear on the samsung, that was why I returned the LG. I came from a retina macbook pro and have a retina ipad as well and so I found the LG text to be terrible. THe samsung is no retina but at least is acceptable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.