Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fpvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
My shiny new MacBook Air 11" calls the graphics card in "about this mac" window "kHW_IntelHD5000Item 1024 MB". I can't remember seeing anything like that in this window before. Is this normal or should it be "Intel HD 5000" or something like that?

I just exchanged the Air because the first one had a bad backspace key, so i'm really nervous about something going wrong again.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
i would guess because its a brand new chip, and OSX doesn't have the correct device ID for it. should be fixed in 10.8.5 I would think.

fpvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for your replies guys. Just rebooted the machine, made sure every possible update is installed. Still the same text in “about this mac”. Then ran the apple diagnosis after rebooting, says no errors found. The MacBook runs absolutely flawless but to make sure i didn’t get a bad machine again, will call Apple-Support tomorrow. I could find very few information about this on the net but found some screenshots in reviews of the 2013 Air that also show “kHW_IntelHD5000Item 1024 MB” in the about window. So i can’t be the only one but still, very strange.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
My 11" mid 2013 i7 8gb/512gb MBA will be two weeks old tomorrow. It says

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 5000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0a26
Revision ID: 0x0009

fpvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
That's what it also says for me. At least in the system information window, but not in the "about this mac" part. i'll try to prevent myself to switch into panic-mode right now :eek:

btw. i have the same spec as you. 2013 11" i7 8GB/512SSD

fpvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Just had a longer conversation with the technical department of Apple Support. They told me it's perfectly normal and i shouldn't be worried about it :)

Strange thing tho, that it seems to be different for some people.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
That's what it also says for me. At least in the system information window, but not in the "about this mac" part.

Here's mine. It was purchased in the store at B&H Photo, FWIW.

Attachments

• about.jpg
    about.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 107

fpvs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
UPDATE: Tried to wake up my MacBook from sleep this morning while it was hooked up to an external screen and connected to an USB-Hub. It didn't start, only after i disconnected all devices and pressed power like 30 times it would start. Then i noticed a heavy flickering of the screen which didn't stop, even after rebooting the machine. I installed the apple update that was released because of the photoshop flickering issues, but i hadn't photoshop running on the machine. Flickering didn't go away so i guess faulty graphics-adapter or display. Glad the problem showed up before my option to return it to the store where i bought it ran out.

Well, nice move by apple to tell me the strange display of the graphics-adapter in "about this mac" wasn't a problem. I called apple to get an official response but feel kinda cheated now. Very sad. I think i won't buy an Air again anytime soon. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.