Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ride-dartmoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
For some reason my power button won't seem to work. It still clicks, but when I try to turn off my phone it won't work. Any ideas or help to fix? I have a bunch of spare iPhone 4/4S parts so if anyone has any idea on what I should do that's be great.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

JGC1986

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I have a 4s with the same issue, I know LOTS of people with the same issue...Looking into joining this class action lawsuit on them.

JGC1986

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
No, that is not it at all.
The thing is, this is a very common, very frequent problem, that THOUSANDS of people have. It is obviously a design flaw, and Apple should take responsibility to the issue and at least repair it within a reasonable time after the original warranty has expired. When cars have issues, the auto manufacturer recalls them, and repairs them for free. Granted, the power button breaking doesn't pose any safety risk to anyone, it is still a mass manufacturing defect.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
The thing is, this is a very common, very frequent problem, that THOUSANDS of people have. It is obviously a design flaw, and Apple should take responsibility to the issue and at least repair it within a reasonable time after the original warranty has expired. When cars have issues, the auto manufacturer recalls them, and repairs them for free. Granted, the power button breaking doesn't pose any safety risk to anyone, it is still a mass manufacturing defect.

When did you first notice this issue?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple insists on keeping this unreliable destined to fail mechanical button, since sooner or later it fails. It's just another opportunity for Apple to sell another iPhone. The touch sensitive controls on the front of several of my Android phones are wonderful. They don't become filled with dust or debris since they are under glass. Being a part of the entire touch screen panel they make perfect sense.

However it's important to recognize that a good majority of iPhone users are adverse to change unless Apple tells them it's OK. It's this overwhelming power they have to influence their users that lines Apples coffers with big profits. Along those same lines Samsung's smart to notice their competitions sway. That's one reason the Galaxy line uses what Apple followers recognize as a "home button."
As such Samsung was influenced to use the same to increase the chances that it would reduce the fear Apple users have over a different style control. The strategy works quite well, as many past iPhone users feel less threatened when switching, since they immediately know what that button is for. Then in an equally smart move, Samsung uses a higher quality button of much greater durability than Apples. I've never experienced a single home button failure on any of my Galaxy phones, even my nearly four year old Galaxy S.

Contrast that to the 4 failed Apple home buttons I've had to deal with. Two on my iPhone 4, all within the first year, and one each on my 4S & 5, also failing within the first year of ownership. Apple is nothing if not clever when assuring their own financial gain. One glance at the way the Apple devotees brag about Apple riches, proves the effectiveness of Apples influence. I give Apple a lot of credit for their success. Not one of the many people I know, buys a new BMW or Mercedes then brags about how much profit the company makes. :)

It Is James

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2013
Washington
The thing is, this is a very common, very frequent problem, that THOUSANDS of people have. It is obviously a design flaw, and Apple should take responsibility to the issue and at least repair it within a reasonable time after the original warranty has expired.

If thousands of people have the problem, than millions of people don't. It's just noticed more because people that DO have the problem tend to voice it - but you don't have the others (the majority of us that never have hardware problems) let everyone know that our device is OK.

How long do you expect warranties to last?

JGC1986

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
An update to this thread - I found a place in my area to replace the power button for a very reasonable price a few months ago, it is working great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.