Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Did anyone actually look at the list of apps? I can't believe the 3rd top free app on the iPad is a calculator app.

Don't think Android users are missing much of anything.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Half is actually pretty good, not long ago there were hardly any android apps optimized to run as tablet form... Give it another yr or 2...

monkor

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Good God. When is anyone else just going to go out and say it: no one gives a **** about tablet-optimized apps, except the small minority of tech afficionados like ourselves and the bloggers who even use the term "tablet-optimized". My pops, God bless him, is an IT wizard. He can troubleshoot and build any computer you ask him. So I got him a nice IPad for Christmas to replace his Nexus 7 after hearing all the complaints about it (my dad had none, but still).

What'd he do with the iPad? He asked me to (and italicize the F out of what I'm about to say) return it. Said he didn't like how the apps looked, and wanted them to look how they do on his phone (an iPhone), only bigger. And he went to MIT.

But it's not just him. It's my auntie, it's my friends who aren't techies, it's everyone I've encountered with a tablet (anecdotal means nothing -- whatever). They just don't care; it's not a deal breaker on a tablet. And if it is, it's literally dead last.

What's more important to them? Can I Skype? Can I Gchat? Can I send messages? Can I watch Netflix or whatever? Can I bring it on an airplane? Is it pretty? What about Candy Crush???????

Nooooboooodddddyyyyy caaaaarrrrrreeees about TO. They just want something familiar, and tablet optimized apps aren't. More menu buttons to memorize, more of a hassle than just giving me my standard app and scaling it up. That's actually what even I want! Familiarity, only larger.

I'm not saying some tablet optimized apps aren't cool. Far from it. I'm just saying that they only matter to an incredibly small minority. And if I really wanted to have a productive time, I'd just whip out a laptop with a keyboard and mouse.

But by all means tell me how Candy Crush Saga or Monkey Poo Fling Session IX are so much better when they're "tablet optimized". Nobody buys most of the tablet optimized apps knowlingly thinking, "Man this is tablet optimized it's going to look saweeet." They see an app they want, and they buy it.

I apologize if it came off sounding like a dick, but this is one issue that's so nerdy it's insane to me. It doesn't apply to the general populace, they literally have no clue (or a very vague idea at best) what tablet optimization is.

And for the record, here are the top grossing apps of 2012 on the iPad. You tell me if you see a trend on what people are buying:

1. DragonVale (game)
2. Slotmania HD (game)
3. Comics (leisure)
4. Pages (no clue)
5. Quickoffice Pro HD (work)
6. Slotmania (game)
7. Kingdoms of Camelot: Battle for the North (game)
8. Modern War (game)
9. Mystery Manor: Hidden Adventure HD (game)
10. Clash of Clans (game)

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Google is probably not all that concerned at this point. They make more money off of iOS than they do Android.

It seems like huge numbers of people, especially the younger generation, don't care about the privacy implications of Google and love the Google lifestyle. If Google is able to make great iPad apps, which they are beginning to do (apparently) then they will essentially make iOS a proxy for Android anyway.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I'd say that even the Android phone apps aren't on par with their iOS counterparts. Flixster comes to mind cos I just used it on my HTC and iPhone this weekend and the difference in design and polish was immediately obvious.

If you pay attention to hardware details, even the most beautiful Android phone, the HTC one, doesn't have the same build quality. The front aluminum looks like it's glued on if you look at it from the sides(which it probably is), and the plastic lines on the back isn't well integrated with the aluminum.

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
*YAWN*

Those are not apps. :rolleyes: These are apps:

TouchDraw

Papyrus

Umano

Timetable

Diaro

Cliffhanger
Thanks for the list, I was looking for something like TouchDraw! It's also available for the iPad and works wonderfully. (I downloaded and tried it out as we speak, again thanks!)

I won't comment on Papyrus as I don't use handwriting apps. For this purpose Samsung tablets may be better for the stylus support, however some apps like Penultimate on iPad seem to be viable alternatives. I looked up Umano and it seems to have debuted on iOS first, Android afterwards: http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/21/umano-android-launch/. There are many apps similar to Timetable and Diaro, I'm sure there are great options on both platforms. AS far as Cliffhanger, I've used an app called Shows Tracker (http://showstracker.plekstudios.com/) which looks just as intuitive and feature rich as Cliffhanger. I'm not a big TV fan so I don't know how similar these apps are, but a simple web search led to many different options.

Bottom line: there are many great apps for either platform, some of the better apps are multiplatform, some are better on one or the other. At the end of the day, you and I may find different selections preferable to the way we personally like to do things. The difference is just that iPad's app selection is far bigger than that of Android tablets, so the likelihood of finding great apps is greater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.