Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many years do you plan on keeping your Macbook Air?

Votes: 12 7.0%

Votes: 13 7.6%

Votes: 45 26.3%

Votes: 26 15.2%

Votes: 22 12.9%

Votes: 5 2.9%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Until the wheels fall off.

Votes: 47 27.5%

• Total voters

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Many years if it meet my expectations, as has always happened with my pc laptops. If not, just a few month.

By the time it starts not being able to keep the pace, I may still use it as a secondary machine, install an old ubuntu or something

HappyInCalgary

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Whatever the surveys says...

I have a 2011 13" base Macbook Air. I plan to use this survey as a guide to how long I should keep my Mac. Based on results so far, I have one more year to go! :D
But seriously, as long as I can keep it would be my answer. And so far, it has rivaled all the PC's I have used previously.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Is anyone planning on using theirs as their only/primary computer? How long do you think it would last then?

Poly

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2013
Germany
Got my mid2011 13" in december2011 and i will keep it until the wheels fall off or until the newest OS is no longer supported for my MBA. Whatever comes first.

And this is my main computer! I use it that long/frequently each day, that i have to load the battery every 24-48hours.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Its been just over 2 years and I am still perfectly happy with the performance of my Macbook Air (2011 model).

Right now I do not see any reason to upgrade. Although battery life is much better, I am around an outlet enough to not worry too much. The one thing that would probably make me switch is if they can decrease the bezel around the screen without reducing the structural integrity. If they could fit a 13" screen in the 11" model (or maybe slightly larger than the 11" model) I would be all over it in a heartbeat. Retina would be nice but not a must have for me.

I probably expect to realistically upgrade in another 2 years. Maybe then I will see a dramatic difference in performance (this is the first laptop I have used with an SSD, and if it still looks exactly the same I don't plan on changing computers until there is a performance difference similar to the jump from platter based hard drives to solid state).

triple-tap

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2013
Just passed my 2006 white macbook down to me little brother. Bought it new from Apple in high school. The thing is still kicking strong (other than getting a new battery. Been to Europe in a messenger bag, beaten to death while in college, and more. SOOOOOO happy it lasted this long. After picking up a 2013 MBA 13", I have no need for it. My little brother can use it for high school.

If my new MBA lasts that long, I will be thrilled. Now that I am a "grown-up" professional, I will likely upgrade in 4-5 years though.

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Its been just over 2 years and I am still perfectly happy with the performance of my Macbook Air (2011 model).

Right now I do not see any reason to upgrade. Although battery life is much better, I am around an outlet enough to not worry too much. The one thing that would probably make me switch is if they can decrease the bezel around the screen without reducing the structural integrity. If they could fit a 13" screen in the 11" model (or maybe slightly larger than the 11" model) I would be all over it in a heartbeat. Retina would be nice but not a must have for me.

I probably expect to realistically upgrade in another 2 years. Maybe then I will see a dramatic difference in performance (this is the first laptop I have used with an SSD, and if it still looks exactly the same I don't plan on changing computers until there is a performance difference similar to the jump from platter based hard drives to solid state).

That sounds like a great idea - thinner bezels would be awesome. I wonder if it would decrease the weight of the MBA too, if the bezel weighs more than the screen.

How is the 11" screen working out for you in terms of long-term use?

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I'm still using my 4GB/128GB/2010/13" and it works just fine. Does everything I need it to except store all my pics and music. Dang 128 GB. I'll replace it when it dies with a 2013 refurb with 512 GB storage and 8 GB ram. It even survived a beer spill on the logic board.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I'll keep mine until it breaks, exactly as my previous laptop, which was an Acer Windows machine (took 9 years for it to break).

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
Four years

I'm a freshmen entering college, and I'm keeping my MacBook Air at least until after I graduate. So four years minimum.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Just bought my first MBA 13" yesterday. Planning on keeping it for a couple of years, then upgrading...Currently looking to buy an imac but am holding out to see what happens in Oct/Nov.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
My Dell [ yes Dell !! :p ] XPS 1210m Laptop [ 12" screen ] lasted about ....well it's still going! lol... Bought it in 2006.

Normally, I upgrade every 2-4 years, but this time once the Retina [if] MBA comes out, I'm going for it, be it 1/2/3 years... I voted 2 years on the poll though. Intel's tick-tock cycle doesn't really dictate my decision.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
That sounds like a great idea - thinner bezels would be awesome. I wonder if it would decrease the weight of the MBA too, if the bezel weighs more than the screen.

How is the 11" screen working out for you in terms of long-term use?

I'm actually using the 13" model.

silvershamrock

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Seeing that I still have my Apple IIe in very good condition, and still serves out a great game of Lemonade Stand, Oregon Trail, Zaxxon, and Choplifter, as well as refreshes my memory on Logo and Turtle Graphics, that track record puts me on par with 'until the wheels fall off'.

Well that beats my old LC 475 (which also still works...) :D

I don't plan to upgrade my 2012 MBA until the battery finally gives out. (I might give it one replacement battery; it depends on what the current model looks like by then.) I'll probably still keep this one around though.

27imac

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Beaumont texas
I have a 27 inch iMac late 2009 model that's still running strong apple had a recall on the harddrive I went there and got it change but my harddrive was find they just say that it could crash anytime I love my computer use it for a lot of things best 2000 I ever spent lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.