Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
To me on the iPhone 5 a1429 Beta 6 feel like a finished product, no more UI lag
everything feel much smoother been testing thoroughly and haven't found any issues.

What do you guys think ?

Honestly don't think we will see a Beta7, Personally i think Gm will arrive for employees on the 5th and to Dev's on the 10th

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Beta 7 is needed.

They should fix the startup time, and some minor annoyances like Safari nearly always crashing. Seriously, I feel like I'm using an iPod touch 4G running iOS 5.0...that thing used to crash Safari every time you loaded a few tabs.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
No, it feels quite unpolished, and the GM is right around the corner. It was obvious that this will happen - there was no way that Apple could go from Beta 1/2 (whatever version was the most recent at WWDC) to a finished, coherent project in just a few months. Development takes way longer than that.

IMO Apple started development of iOS7 no earlier than Q4 2012. And rather than holding the release another year, to deliver a mostly-finished product like the Apple of old, they'll just go ahead and release it.

But my opinion doesn't matter - it's the masses' opinion that would decide iOS7 - aka the casuals. And these guys are a lot harder to please.

CanesDrew

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Memphis, TN
No, it feels quite unpolished, and the GM is right around the corner. It was obvious that this will happen - there was no way that Apple could go from Beta 1/2 (whatever version was the most recent at WWDC) to a finished, coherent project in just a few months. Development takes way longer than that.

IMO Apple started development of iOS7 no earlier than Q4 2012. And rather than holding the release another year, to deliver a mostly-finished product like the Apple of old, they'll just go ahead and release it.

But my opinion doesn't matter - it's the masses' opinion that would decide iOS7 - aka the casuals. And these guys are a lot harder to please.

Please tell me more, kimosabe.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376655112.915788.jpg

AluminumQ45

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2013
are iCloud Safari tabs showing for anyone on beta 6? (or any beta for that matter)

They show up from my Mac to my iPad, but not the other way. And nothing shows up on the iPhone.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
are iCloud Safari tabs showing for anyone on beta 6? (or any beta for that matter)

They show up from my Mac to my iPad, but not the other way. And nothing shows up on the iPhone.

They seem to be working fine for me, not had a single crash i have noticed that the music app no longer displays artists pictures from iTunes just the Album art of the albums. Defiantly feels polished to me i have no long startup time maybe to a DFU restore ? B5 had terrible UI lag this is completely gone in B6. Feels faster than iOS 6.1.4 on another iP5

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
There are some known bugs to be fixed yet, but I'd say it's a pretty solid OS already. The most important issues seem to have been addressed, and it's now a usable OS, without stutterings or major stability problems.

Nothing says we won't get Beta 7 and Beta 8 before the GM anyways. Apple can push an update whenever they feel like doing it.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
There's a rumour that iOS 7 beta 6 will be the final beta release before Apple pushes out its final gold master build, which is expected to be released to partners on 5 September, ahead of its public release on 20 September. Such a release date would make sense.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
There's a rumour that iOS 7 beta 6 will be the final beta release before Apple pushes out its final gold master build, which is expected to be released to partners on 5 September, ahead of its public release on 20 September. Such a release date would make sense.

Source of those dates?
The public release will have to come out before the release of the new iPhone, so 20th september seems too late.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I've been using iOS 7 since beta 1. With the exceptions of a few bugs I'd say the it feels pretty solid. The only thing that makes the whole experience feel unpolished is third-party apps that are still modeled after iOS 6.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

...This was a hotfix, an issue they apparently felt was important enough to release a fix for without many other fixes included.

There wasn't much option to call this anything but beta 6.

The "beta 6" that had been rumored about will most likely be pushed next week as beta 7, and will be more of a complete update, with bug fixes and improvements more on par with the previous betas.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
London
Beta5 would respring/restart every hour or so after leaving apps open etc now i don't have that issue. if it was just a simple HOTFIX update then why couldn't they have waited till monday and bundled it with said beta7.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Apple said there were known issues in Beta 5.

As mentioned, Beta 6 only seems to fix one particular thing. It's therefore very logical to assume that it's not "finished".

why couldn't they have waited till monday and bundled it with said beta7.

It sounds like the particular bug could have allowed people to download iTunes Store content that they hadn't paid for - a pretty serious issue.

abshole765

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Beta 7 is needed.

They should fix the startup time, and some minor annoyances like Safari nearly always crashing. Seriously, I feel like I'm using an iPod touch 4G running iOS 5.0...that thing used to crash Safari every time you loaded a few tabs.

Dont use safari.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009

Are you a developer? Just curious. I am. And like Apple, we've been working on a major upgrade of our system this year. Going live this weekend in fact.

My point is, for months now we've been working on bugs. But until just 2 days ago, the system felt very unpolished and ready to go. Why? Well, because we've spent the past few months working on the big things and important bugs. Those that would prevent us from going live with the new system. It wasn't until the majority of the bigger bugs were out of the way that we started looking into the little things. Primarily cosmetic issues, although there are still a few genuine bugs that may not be fixed until after the go-live. But they tend to be more uncommon things that people are more unlikely to run into (for example, enrolling a dependent on your health insurance, and then declining medical coverage; it's a silly thing, but we need to account for people doing silly things).

I don't work at Apple, so I don't know how they do their betas. But I've never seen a situation where people worried about the little cosmetic things before the bigger issues are handled.

So just because it may not feel polished at this point doesn't mean that it won't be when they release it. Like most developers, they're more likely to save silly little cosmetic issues (and perhaps some of the more uncommon bugs) until the very end once all the major issues are handled. And most bugs in this category tend to be fixable very quickly. Like us, I'm sure they meet regularly (I'd guess at least daily at this point) and go over their bugs and prioritize them. I'm sure they've already identified those cosmetic type issues that actually WILL take a long time to fix and jumped on them sooner. That's just the way software development works.

So to me, us being this close to iOS being released doesn't really bug me. I have no doubt that a lot of the polish will come at the end. And I'm not really worried at this point.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

Except beta 6 was an urgent bug fix so I don't think it'll count as the "one more beta". I think we'll still see a beta 7 this coming week.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Beta 6 isn't that much different than beta 5, so there are still known issues from beta 5 that are still there. Clearly not finished given that at the very least there would be a GM build, which in itself would have some more changes, and it seems that there will likely be at least one more beta before the GM build. So, no, not finished just yet.

michjosi

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2013
To me also beta 6 does not feel like GM. Especially the annoying calendar / contacts bug when birthdays show with a day +/- 1 is not acceptable in my opinion for a release. But overall system runs quite smoothly. I also noted a bug in task manager. When closing apps by swiping always 2 at once to the top after 1 or 2 times you do that system no longer shows one thumbnail. Hard to describe, i'll give screenshots later when back to my pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.