Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Just found this myself! Exciting!

I hope it is good for single player too versus coop. I need to go read up on it now.

I wonder if this one will release on Steam?

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I have the PS3 console version and it was a blast for both single and co-op, I'll have to pick it up for Mac.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Looks like a BUY for me. Thanks Feral!

P.S. --- I love the idea that this game is based on "the unsung heroes of LOTR" (as opposed to the well-known legendary heroes like Frodo, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, etc). However, I'm curious if these three "northern heroes" were actually penned (or even mentioned in the books) by JRR Tolkien himself, or are they post-Tolkien add-ons to the Ring mythos?

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
I'm wondering if they too were mentioned anywhere in the books, or they are purely fictional. Either way I've tried this before via OnLive and its not bad. I think coop is where it will be at.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I don't quite understand the co-op mode here. Do you play as a SINGLE hero character, while your online friends control the other 2 heroes?

At first I thought this was another "Control an adventure party of 3-5 characters" kinda like Baldurs Gate EE.

Beamerboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Mudgee, Australia
That's SO funny!

I'm wondering if they too were mentioned anywhere in the books, or they are purely fictional. Either way I've tried this before via OnLive and its not bad. I think coop is where it will be at.

How hilarious to ask if characters are "mentioned in the [fiction] books, or they are purely fictional"! :eek:

The lines between the perception of reality and fiction are truly blurred these days.

I would have to re-read the books (or is that re-watch the movies?) to be sure, but I reckon the characters are not mentioned by name in any of Tolkein's works.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone knows if it is going to be available from the MAS ?

(btw, the heroes names are not mentioned in the books)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I don't quite understand the co-op mode here. Do you play as a SINGLE hero character, while your online friends control the other 2 heroes?

Yes. In single player, the AI takes over the other two.

Has anyone tried this on the PC? This game looks like it would only be fun in co-op, but unfortunately the game's Steam forums say it's extremely buggy, so I doubt I could convince my PC buddies to try it.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
unfortunately the game's Steam forums say it's extremely buggy

We have spent a fair amount of time shall we way improving the Mac verso n and removing as many of the egregious bugs from the game. We cannot claim it is bug free but it is definitely the most stable and feature complete of any of the releases.

It will not support Mac / PC due to some of the stability fixes we implemented into the Mac SKU.

Online multiplayer will use GameRanger.

Edwin

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
We have spent a fair amount of time shall we way improving the Mac verso n and removing as many of the egregious bugs from the game. We cannot claim it is bug free but it is definitely the most stable and feature complete of any of the releases.

LOL. Nice.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2011
I've the Windows Version of the game. It is a very good game for LOTR fans. Good graphics and story. A bit short - you can playthrough in a day.

Cythth

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
The Ranger and Elf are fictional fictional as they were created for the game only. Whereas the Dwarf was actually mentioned in the books. FYI.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The Ranger and Elf are fictional fictional as they were created for the game only. Whereas the Dwarf was actually mentioned in the books. FYI.

All three heroes are 'fictional'. They are all fictional characters regardless of whether it was Tolkien or someone else that created those characters.

What you meant to say is that the Dwarf is canon... which means that he is part of JRR Tolkien's books, and an original element from the Tolkien fantasy world.

Cythth

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
Lake Jackson, TX
All three heroes are 'fictional'. They are all fictional characters regardless of whether it was Tolkien or someone else that created those characters.

What you meant to say is that the Dwarf is canon... which means that he is part of JRR Tolkien's books, and an original element from the Tolkien fantasy world.

I actually meant to say it the way that I did. I believe most people understood what I meant without the vocabulary lesson.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Wait! There is cannons in Lord of the Rings???

Umm, cannons isn't a word is it? I think I meant canon. No wait, oh, never mind!

I'll just wait until the game comes out to see if I find a cannon in it somewhere.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Fresh from the Facebook page last week:

"Sharpen your sword and strap on your armour, because The Lord of the Rings: War in the North will be released for the Mac on 19th September."

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Fresh from the Facebook page last week:

"Sharpen your sword and strap on your armour, because The Lord of the Rings: War in the North will be released for the Mac on 19th September."

Thanks, these are good news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.