Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I know there would be a market for it even if it was smaller. However once you get to that size it would almost be better to just have a touchscreen on a Macbook. My three hundred dollar 11.6" laptop has a touch screen.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Not a handheld device. Toooooooo biiiiig...... Tooo stooooopid!
I just don't see it happening.

The Mini was different, there was a market and pent up demand.
I haven't once seen/heard anyone say, "I just need my tablet as big as a laptop."

Size does matter...
I'd think of it not as a very big handheld, but as a very small laptop. The richer the iOS ecosystem gets, I think the more sense a product like this makes. I already browse reddit better on an iPad than on the web on a laptop thanks to the Alien Blue app. There are many more examples too of better experiences from apps than both the web and OS X apps. Heck, many don't even have these two counterparts to begin with.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
In the pic with the 13" MBA. Isn't the MBA screen supposed to be 0.1" bigger than the 12.9" iPad?

The iPad screen looks humongous compared the MBA.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Hey, I'm fine with it as long as Apple keeps the 9.7'' and 7.9'' line...more products don't hurt but provides more options!

Keep the aspect ratio at 16:9, and it would be awesome if Apple sold an optional keyboard, and then it would be like a MacBook Air but running iOS. :cool:

Or maybe running Mac OS X...as a tabletop tablet. :eek:

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I suspect something along the lines of 11.3-11.5" would be a bit more agile. A 12.9" iPad sounds cumbersome, though the screen would be gorgeous and you'd certainly be able to do some stuff with it.

This is one of those rare moments where I'd really have to run down to the Apple store and play around with one and see how it fits, etc. Might convince me, might scare me off.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
They could go for this size!

ces2013jan082013panasonic4ktabmain2.jpg

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
in my view, they should increase the mini's size from 7.9 to 9" and the ipad's size from 9.7 to 12", that's all, no need to add one more ipad to the line.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
in my view, they should increase the mini's size from 7.9 to 9" and the ipad's size from 9.7 to 12", that's all, no need to add one more ipad to the line.

A lot of people do love the mini's size. If going past 9.7" it likely should just be a touch Macbook Air. I'm using a touch 11.6" laptop and it is really a good thing that it has a keyboard, however I would not mind if it was a docking tablet ultrabook.

Three iPads may be too many, two iPhone sizes and two iPad is likely enough.

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
A lot of people do love the mini's size. If going past 9.7" it likely should just be a touch Macbook Air. I'm using a touch 11.6" laptop and it is really a good thing that it has a keyboard, however I would not mind if it was a docking tablet ultrabook.

Three iPads may be too many, two iPhone sizes and two iPad is likely enough.

hmmm... good idea:)

paulsdenton

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2010
Barton, Vermont USA
I would use it. I use my iPad mini (with the Kindle and iBook apps) to read in bed; my iPad 4 to write with when I'm not using my desktop computer (with a Cooler-Master stand and wireless keyboard), my grandsons use my iPad 1 for games and I would use the big iPad (also with a stand) to do email and recreational web use while "watching" TV. I use the iPad 4 for this now but it would be better to have a larger screen model.

Might use a bigger one for writing and iPhoto also. Lots of possibilities!

Build it, Apple!

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Give it a phone function and shut up the "needs a bigger screen" iPhone detractors.

Give it a bigger screen and shut up the "my tablet needs a phone" iPad detractors.

----------

I disagree. That's the kind of thinking that gave us the Surface. A touch device should have an interface that was designed for touch not a bastardized system that was made for a keyboard and mouse.

Now I would love to have a touch screen on my Air, in addition to the keyboard and mouse, for those times when it is just as easy to grab an icon and drag it with my finger, but going to a virtual keyboard and mouse on OS X would be a disaster in my opinion. But that is just my opinion.

Oh, it's your opinion? Glad you told me that twice because we if we base anything off of what Microsoft does, nothing would get done around here. Windows 8 was an impractical new operating system designed with touchscreens in mind, and as a result isn't nearly as fun to use on PCs.

I'm not saying "Implement a bastardized, half-assed system that won't work very well." I'm saying "Implement an updated version of OS X that incorporates touch controls to make it easier to work on a touchscreen." This wouldn't be TOO extreme, seeing as how you can pretty much already operate OS X like a touchscreen interface with a trackpad.

For an Apple enthusiast, you sure don't sound very imaginative.

Am3r1ca16

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
New York City
get a computer instead if you want a big screen. it will probably cost around $800+ if it does happen. which in that case you can get a good computer for that price.

but i seriously doubt this is ever going to happen at all.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Myth.

MYTH written all over. This "red crispy shiny fruity" company is not enlarging any of their eye o s's, everyone is going smaller and trimmer, why would they go and do that, it is as absurd as thinking they'll bring back the 17"r-MBP ! Or, is, it? ^_~ I'd buy one of these if so.

jimmynitcher

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Slowly we are getting there...

When you see the large iPad next to the Air like that it makes me wonder why the they can't make one with the functionality of a computer? All you need is a dock for peripherals, (which could be a wire with a dock hanging off it if the case is too small).
I find it hard to believe J. Ive etc can't see this evolution - or are they just prolonging the separation to profit from two income streams?
Very puzzling to me - can someone elucidate?

Charltonmark999

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2014
New ipad picture

If you look under apple.com then supplier responsibility on the bottom right corner there is a picture of a person holding what appears to be a larger screened iPad

Apologies if this has already been spotted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.