Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
I'd like to turn off the Wi-Fi network each night on my Airport Extreme, and re-open it in the morning. But the only way I can see to do this is by choosing 'Off' under 'Network mode' in Airport Utility; this means my previous Wi-Fi settings are not retained when I want to reopen the network.

Is there no easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Reactions: Luckasz

scrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
Make a new profile for it and switch between the two.

Can you please explain how to do that? I don't see an option in Airport Utility for profiles. I'm using 6.0.

Nov 28, 2010
located
AirPort Utility > Base Station > Manage Profiles.
2012_02_29_pD1_AirPortUtilityProfiles.png

scrm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009

Great, thanks. Airport Utility 5.6 had the option; it wasn't in 6.0.

----------

I don't suppose you know of any way this could be done automatically do you? So the AEBS would enable and disable Wi-Fi at certain times. E.g. with a third-party utility.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't suppose you know of any way this could be done automatically do you? So the AEBS would enable and disable Wi-Fi at certain times. E.g. with a third-party utility.

You could GUI script it with Applescript.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Great, thanks. Airport Utility 5.6 had the option; it wasn't in 6.0.

Sorry, I get AirPort Utility versions confused with the firmware for my AEBS.

edit.gif

Tested something. Copied my AirPort Utility 5.5.3 version from 10.6.8 to my Mac OS X 10.7 Lion VM and run it from the Desktop and it worked. I couldn't delete the AirPort Utility app in Utilities though, even via Terminal.

AirPort Utility 5.5.3 (zip, 11 MB)

Last edited:

jsrx

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Hi, did you finally find a solution ?

I'd like to turn off the Wi-Fi network every night too (for people who asking why... because at night, my children sleep near the airport... so, I want to turn off wifi and not unplugged the airport every night !)

A solution is to desactivate it in Airport Utility, but when I want to activate it (create a new one) I have to configure it again !

Thanks for your help !

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Is their a option for turning wifi on and off with the the new airport extreme? Without causing problems. Can it be done in Utility.

Giuly

macrumors 68040

I'd like to turn off the Wi-Fi network every night too (for people who asking why... because at night, my children sleep near the airport... so, I want to turn off wifi and not unplugged the airport every night !)

A solution is to desactivate it in Airport Utility, but when I want to activate it (create a new one) I have to configure it again !

Thanks for your help !

I'd just take an Ethernet cable and relocate it.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
By moving the source of the RF radiation out of the room.

Got it... I thought your comment about "taking the ethernet cable and relocating it"... was about just disconnecting the cable... as if it was to prevent them from having internet access overnight.

I agree... that relocating the AE is the best option.

/Jim

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

Thanks for your help !

We just turn the modem off our new extreme is connected to overnight. The light just blinks orange and comes back on when the modem is turned back on, and everything reconnects with no problems, Sonos system too.
The new extreme is fantastic.

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
Same question; turn wifo off, leaving Ethernet on??

Same question here,
several others have re-asked it,
no answer yet for the current Airport, though it could be done with profiles in the prior versionl.l

How to turn off the radio side in the base station,
temporarily,
leaving the Ethernet side working, and
without having to redefine the wifi when starting the base station wifi again.

I'm still at 10.8.5 if that matters.

another way to ask the question would be -- how to back up the Airport Extreme settings and reinstall them instead of reconfiguring the wifi each time.

And, no (grin), I'm not eager to drill a hole in the case and put in an off switch for the radio.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
So having the AirPort Extreme in the same room you sleep in will give you cancer ?

In my house, the only room that seems to collect dead flies is the room with the wireless routers. I moved them to another room for a different reason, and that room then collected dead flies. (I live in the country, in the summer we leave doors open fairly often, it's not like we are dirty.)

Search around online or do your own tests. WiFi CAN and WILL kill things. Try keeping plants alive when they are near WiFi signal...

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
another way to ask the question would be -- how to back up the Airport Extreme settings and reinstall them instead of reconfiguring the wifi each time.
AirPort Utility will allow you to export/import the config settings. But I believe your task could be handled more elegantly and with less manual work by setting up different config profiles (one with WLAN, one without) on the AirPort.

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
> different config profiles (one with WLAN, one without)
> on the AirPort.

Unless I've completely missed something, changing the profile on the receiver doesn't affect the broadcast signal at all. The profile chooses whether or not to detect use the wifi signal.

I'm asking the original question, same one up there at the top of the page -- how can I toggle the Airport Extreme wifi signal, without losing the settings.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
By using Airport Utility 5.6, you can create 2 profiles, one with wifi on, one with wifi off.

Unless I've completely missed something, changing the profile on the receiver doesn't affect the broadcast signal at all. The profile chooses whether or not to detect use the wifi signal.

You do not change the profile on the receiver : the "wifi off" profile disables the wifi broadcast of the Airport device.

All other settings remain the same.

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Or you could just set specific rules for each wifi device so that even if someone tried yo connect they wouldn't have permission....

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
OK, I found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468344
about using Airport Utility 5.6.

Tradeoffs and complications.

For now, I'm exporting the Airport Extreme settings, turning wifi off -- then importing the settings later to get wifi back on.

Also found this:
---quote---
If you have already installed AirPort Utility 6, you can't reinstall AirPort Utility 5.6 just by running its installer because it detects that you have a newer AirPort Utility version and it doesn't let you install this older AirPort Utility.
You have to follow additional steps to reinstall AirPort Utility 5.6 > http://frank.is/mountain-lion-and-the-old-airport-utility/
---end quote---

and that leads further, with a caution that 5.6 won't work with Mavericks, and a link to a way to fix -that- ....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.