Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Oh, it's possible. ;)

I know that the photos with the hideous purple haze on the sides or corners are taken with my iPhone 5. My 4S on the other hand took beautiful clean shots without me ever having to worry about "pointing it wrong".

I started with the 3GS and have upgraded every year. I've had the 5 since launch day too. I remember feeling somewhat disappointed overall when I got it, and very disappointed with the camera. If it's not fixed this time around, I'll skip the upgrade for the first time since becoming an iPhone owner.

I have to agree with others in this thread... For the robust build quality, the looks, and the overall functionality, the 4S has been the best iPhone I've owned. My kid has it now and it's still going strong.

Shadowing the lens with your hand is a feature!!

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
I love my iPhone 4S too. You're totally right about the screen size, the other smartphones' screens are just getting too big, and look more like a tablet than a phone. Definitely 4S FTW. :D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
However the latest version of iOS doesn't run that great on older devices though.

Personally I don't care for the look of IOS7, is like going back to Win3.1. When there is a must-have OS feature I guess I will be forced. Until then, long live skeuomorphism!

Last edited:

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Personally I don't care for the look of IOS7, is like going back to Win3.1. When there is a must-have OS feature I guess I will be forced. Until then, long live skeuomorphism!

Personally I was also in the hate bandwagon until I actually tested it on an iPhone 5
Myself. Loved it, it actually reminded me of 2005-2006 Apple with gentle yet substantial friendly colours. I am looking forward to putting iOS 7 on my white iPhone 4 or 4S it depends what I will have at the respective moment.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Using the iPhone 5 made me realize how nice the 4S was, which is I went back to it. Hated the 5 with a passion and I am hoping the 5S has visual changes in its appearance.

Anyone plan on skipping the 5s and gonna keep the 4S for another year?

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Love my 4S, have had it since about a month after its release. I'm out of contract now and am thinking about moving to the 5S. I do prefer the look and feel of the 4S, but what's making me want to upgrade is the truly dreadful battery life and the sluggish, often nonexistent, Sprint 3G. At this point, being the only unlimited plan, I'll probably stay with Sprint in hopes of their LTE expansion... but damn. Looking forward to see what the 5S has to offer. If I'm not thrilled by it I'll probably wait for the 6.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Personally I was also in the hate bandwagon until I actually tested it on an iPhone 5
Myself. Loved it, it actually reminded me of 2005-2006 Apple with gentle yet substantial friendly colours. I am looking forward to putting iOS 7 on my white iPhone 4 or 4S it depends what I will have at the respective moment.

The colors are fine, it the "flatness" and 3D-gone, no more reflective dock I object.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Just airdrop from what I've noticed is missing. Everything else from dynamic backgrounds etc are all there. Safari was laggy during beta 2 that now smooth as butter. Honestly if people can get over the looks this is a silky smooth release especially for the 4s. It like a new phone all over again!!

Absolutely agree. I ripped off my screen protector of 2 years, new clear gel case, fresh install of beta 5 / 6 and It looks / feels brand new. Sure airdrop is absent but it's no bigge, I work from home and have everything accessible via network.

If anything is going to suck me in though, it's the blue 5C, outright purchase - then back on a plan for the iPhone 6 (hopefully with larger screen).

The 4 / 4S really are beautiful products. I'd be pissed buying into the 5 series only to get scratches, etc.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
The colors are fine, it the "flatness" and 3D-gone, no more reflective dock I object.

IMO the dock redesign is one of the biggest let downs. It no longer feels like OSX and the iOS 7 look just wouldn't sit right if they transformed OSX in the same styling.

It's either Apple are making a statement by separating devices for work (OSX feel) and entertainment (iOS 7 feel) - or - they have bought 12 months by offering 'change' in the name (Mavericks) and iOS styling will be introduced by next release, bringing both OS's back inline with one another.

On the 3D matter, if you think about iOS 7 animations and the system as a whole (not the icons) it's actually the most 3D thing they've ever produced.

Imagine using iOS 7 with gestures on a TV / big screen.. Zooming in and out of apps, 4 finger swipe up multitasking, parallax adjusting your TV screen view / perspective as you walk by.. Fingerprint swipe on a tv bezel (or Apple TV / iOS device) to log-in - pulling your user account from iCloud, pairing with your :apple: devices as the controllers. iOS 7 seems built / themed for this sort of idea.

Last edited:

veneto

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
I found the lightning connector to come loose quite often. I found the 30-pin connector to work overall better. Of course that's me.

Hmm.. I could see that happening. I dont care though because it's smaller.

I actually had to throw out my MacBook charger the easy use one it started to smell like burning, now I use the longer 3 pin cord.

wp-admin

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Sadly my 4s went for a swim mid-July and I've been using my roommates broken 4 until I can get my 6+ but I agree, what a great phone that one was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.