Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krashx7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
These new icons look fine but the colors... Ugh they look like my 8 year old daughter colored them in coloring book or something.

Here's to hoping we get some different color schemes.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Apple backing off? Don't doubt it, mate. They'd feel too ashamed

I think it's time to go android :p

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
These new icons look fine but the colors... Ugh they look like my 8 year old daughter colored them in coloring book or something.

They're not girly. They're not pastel. They are primary, secondary and tertiary colours. The issue isn't with the colours, the issue is that they're not to your personal taste. I like them, as so many others do too.

In fact, the most common colour for the icons is blue! Neither a pastel colour, nor a feminine colour.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I don't mind the colours. It looks different and fresh, in my opinion. The overbearing use of white is another matter…

I have heard a few people mention before that these colours are attractive to those living in Asian countries (e.g., China), which suits Apple's strategy of trying to gain traction in those markets.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
I don't mind the colours. It looks different and fresh, in my opinion. The overbearing use of white is another matter…

I have heard a few people mention before that these colours are attractive to those living in Asian countries (e.g., China), which suits Apple's strategy of trying to gain traction in those markets.

No no. I am Asian and I am Chinese, and I hate the colour choice too... The first impression is kid computer sold at Toys R US

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
No no. I am Asian and I am Chinese, and I hate the colour choice too... The first impression is kid computer sold at Toys R US

I didn't mean to say that Chinese people like it. I meant that China's/Japan's culture is more oriented towards brighter colours (think of Anime and ads you see in those places).

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Perhaps the answer to your question lies in one of the dozens of previous threads covering the exact same topic?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

Odds are, you were planning to switch to Android already. Selling your phone to avoid having to look at icons that you could just place in a folder is pretty extreme, particularly considering how little time most people spend actually looking at their home screen.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Odds are, you were planning to switch to Android already. Selling your phone to avoid having to look at icons that you could just place in a folder is pretty extreme, particularly considering how little time most people spend actually looking at their home screen.

Haha nah I was kidding, if I really can't stand iOS 7, I'll just stick with iOS 6 and no way I'm switching phones before at least iOS 8

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I wasn't an initial fan, but looking at the screenshot thread, they look pretty good. I think it depends on your wallpaper, and that seems to be a high point of iOS 7.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1593760/

Nothing looks 'pretty good' about the icons. Nothing.
And folders. Don't get me started on the new folder UI.

However the UI elements are another story. Yes, they do look "pretty good" though they should have kept the same UI menu icon elements that also exist in OS X - like the safari share button.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

You might want to try an art class. Because they are not pastel.

And a little less sexism wouldn't hurt either

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
What bothers me is the lack of color everywhere in the OS ...except for the icons.

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
That's what apparently happens when you let a group of hipster marketing folk design your OS.

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
They got rid of the skeuomorphism and they needed a new way to make the software seem friendly.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Oh that's funny, I'm Asian and Chinese and I absolutely LOVE the color palette, I hope they keep it forever :).

No, I am absolutely hate this colour palette. Look at the big red music icon, big green phone icon, go damn awful Game Centre icon. The whole OS is too bright to look good. I am much more prefer old set of colour palette. iOS 6 at least not look this childish to me

Tamagotchi

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013

I already did... 4 days ago infact :D. Nexus 4 with stock Android... and... I'm AMAZED by it! I cannot believe I disregarded and criticized Android so much in the past. It's actually blowing my mind, it is way ahead of iOS, even ahead of iOS 7 too with all it's new features. And the best part, is the liberty Android offers me, I can do almost anything :D Loving the experience so far :D

i haven't seen one of these threads in a while. Thanks TC

That's because people who don't like the changes in iOS7 have already moved on. The ones that remain in the forums are those that love iOS7 and get a little tingle in their dingle just from thinking and waiting (and waiting...) for it to be released - sad IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.