Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I'm getting an iPhone for my partner, and looking at the specs the 4S should be more than sufficient. I'm just a bit hesitant because the model will soon be two years old, and I'm wondering if this will become a problem soon in terms of iOS updates. Does anyone have thoughts? Yay or nay?

Thanks.

sim0n

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2013
I think the 4s would be capable for a good while yet and is a good buy at the right price, after all the 3gs is still working although it may be slow and outdated but that is 2 models older than the 4s! The 4s will get the latest software update and the specs are still good for someone who is not bothered about having the latest and greatest so its a good buy imo

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Great, thanks both. I will probably get that then. The usage will be relatively basic and latest and greatest isn't a concern.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
Unlikely. iOS 8 would most likely be the final major iOS update it receives.

Yes, you are right.
For some silly reason I thought that 4S came out with iOS 6.

The 3GS came out with iPhoneOS 3 and it was upgradeable to iOS 6.
The 4 came out with iOS 4 and it is upgradeable to iOS 7.
The 4S came out with iOS 5 and it will be upgradeable to iOS 8.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
One more question: Would it make sense to wait until the new iPhone is launched in case that means a price drop? Or is the 4S likely to disappear from the line up at that point?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I was using iPhone 5 (my first iPhone ever) for almost a year, but due to job changes, I had to buy a personal phone and I ended up with iPhone 4S (used) Due to the upcoming announcement, I did not feel like spending close to $700 made any sense on 1 year old technology.

Spec & performance aside, I actually like iPhone 4S better then iPhone 5 - not sure if it is the shape, but it just fits better in my hands and feels more premium - personal opinion of course.
I am going to keep the iPhone 4S till the new phone is easily available for purchase and then I will make a determination if it is actually worth getting.

To answer your question, I think 4S still makes a lot of sense - especially if you are getting a used one - I think it is a great buy. Good luck

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
iPhone 4S will be upgradeable to iOS 9.
There's no guarantee of that.

Unlikely. iOS 8 would most likely be the final major iOS update it receives.
No guarantee of that either.

I'm getting an iPhone for my partner, and looking at the specs the 4S should be more than sufficient. I'm just a bit hesitant because the model will soon be two years old, and I'm wondering if this will become a problem soon in terms of iOS updates. Does anyone have thoughts? Yay or nay?

Thanks.
Wait until the new phones are announced and get a 5C possibly. I'd hesitate at buying something that is sufficient now, as it might not be enough after the person starts using it and wants to do more with it.

One more question: Would it make sense to wait until the new iPhone is launched in case that means a price drop? Or is the 4S likely to disappear from the line up at that point?
It is likely it will disappear, but something else will fill in its price point and be a newer/faster iPhone.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
Is iPhone 4S still a reasonable buy?

The 4S is a very capable phone - I've just upgraded mine to a 5 and in all honesty, screen aside, there's nothing much in it. The people trying to make out the 4S will be obsolete next week have probably forgotten this - it's still a dual core smartphone that performs well, has an excellent 8mp camera (with no purple haze from the "sapphire lens") and better wifi than the 5, far better build quality too.

As long as you can live without LTE or the slightly bigger screen I'd recommend a 4S to anyone, and I'm baffled about what people think a 4S can't do in comparison to 5 or 5S for that matter.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Yes.

I told my dad to buy the iPhone 3GS last year because it's honestly all he needs based on his usage. (And it also helped that he got it for $0 with his 2-year contract. If you wait a few more weeks the iPhone 4S will see a similar price-drop.) If you've come to the same conclusion with your partner, it's a good idea.

But be aware that many people are expecting to see Apple discontinue the 4S when the new phones come out, so you'll have to move fast. After the new phones are announced you'll probably see both Apple and your carrier offer iPhone 4S's at a deep discount, but once they're gone that'll be it. So you have the chance to get a good deal, but you can't wait around once it happens.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
and I'm wondering if this will become a problem soon in terms of iOS updates. Does anyone have thoughts? Yay or nay?

As long as you understand IOS update is not mandatory.

If ur usage is basic, refrain from updating IOS, then u are good forever until some accident happens.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone, this is helpful.

I realise nothing's confirmed, but does anyone have thoughts on how the new cheaper version of iPhone (5C is that what it's called?) will compare to the 4S? I'm thinking the specs of 4S are likely to be better, is that right? If so, I might just go ahead and get one now. My partner needs an unlocked phone and therefore I'll have to buy directly from Apple, so can't make use of sales from other providers.

LTE isn't really an issue because it's not available in my country. Not quite sure about how I feel on software updates.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks, everyone, this is helpful.

I realise nothing's confirmed, but does anyone have thoughts on how the new cheaper version of iPhone (5C is that what it's called?) will compare to the 4S? I'm thinking the specs of 4S are likely to be better, is that right? If so, I might just go ahead and get one now. My partner needs an unlocked phone and therefore I'll have to buy directly from Apple, so can't make use of sales from other providers.

LTE isn't really an issue because it's not available in my country. Not quite sure about how I feel on software updates.

It is my belief that the 5C will basically be an iPhone 5 in a plastic housing. I'm not sure how much more they'll cut costs with it having the same screen, A6 chip, same 1GB RAM, camera, and logic board. With that said, it'll be like receiving an iPhone 5 in a more sturdy, lower-cost plastic build. That means it should have better specs than the 4S and be upgradable past iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.