Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
So I am a lond time apple user. Unfortunately I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 for work due to screen size. (I need a cross between a tablet and a phone)

Anyways. I miss my iPhone 5 and iOS. The only thing I've noticed and come to love about android is the way the applications communicate. I love how I can share content between applications without having to do something like copy and pate a URL.

Take the app 'Pocket' for example.
If I want to share a web page with pocket on my android I just click share and chose the pocket icon from the list if icons. My iPhone on the other hand forces me to first add Pocket to my email contacts. Then when I want to share a we page I have to click share and then email the URL to my Pocket account.

Why does apple do this?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376848418730.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376848418730.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 159

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
The apps in iOS are sandboxed. It is what makes iOS less susceptible to malware than other platforms. Without sandboxing, if an app is downloaded that has malware, it could theoretically infect the entire system. With sandboxing, if an infected app is downloaded, then only that app is broken, while the rest of the system remains untouched.

This is also the ACTUAL reason that Apple doesn't like jailbreaking. It takes away the sandbox(in a manner of speaking).

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
The apps in iOS are sandboxed. It is what makes iOS less susceptible to malware than other platforms. Without sandboxing, if an app is downloaded that has malware, it could theoretically infect the entire system. With sandboxing, if an infected app is downloaded, then only that app is broken, while the rest of the system remains untouched.

This is also the ACTUAL reason that Apple doesn't like jailbreaking. It takes away the sandbox(in a manner of speaking).

Heck no.... Aren't all the app need get Apple approve anyway? App cannot communicate with each other is big annoyance, not just me, but also OP. You see, anyone who came across Android like this feature and seriously his is a selling pint for Android.

----------

SakuraSuki is that you??

No, just came back from Church....

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't apple do extensive testing before allowing an app into the App Store?

I feel that the architecture change is the biggest reason this isn't implemented. I agree with OP though, that's the ONLY thing I miss from Android (well that and native google maps).

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't apple do extensive testing before allowing an app into the App Store?

I feel that the architecture change is the biggest reason this isn't implemented. I agree with OP though, that's the ONLY thing I miss from Android (well that and native google maps).

Aren't you missing ability to change default app and convince of file managing app. Could not go back to iPhone after switch to Nexus 4

----------

and when Apple implements this, people will be like "lol copying from Android they had this for years" .

Yes... And seriously who cares, just implementing it and make people happy. It isn't like you will loss money in the process

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Aren't you missing ability to change default app and convince of file managing app. Could not go back to iPhone after switch to Nexus 4

----------

Yes... And seriously who cares, just implementing it and make people happy. It isn't like you will loss money in the process

A few days ago you were telling me iOS 7 had no new features or something like that and that it was a gimmick and taken from android

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Why Can't apple apps communicate with one another?

You know a "power user" want this, but I don't recall any of my 15 friends and family who want this feature. They care about not having virus, decent battery life, good user experience, a great camera.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
You know a "power user" want this, but I don't recall any of my 15 friends and family who want this feature. They care about not having virus, decent battery life, good user experience, a great camera.

15 people is a horrible sample size. My grandmother actually complained about this the other day.

Let's stop with this "power user" urban legend. It's 2013, most individuals are very well versed with electronics, especially their iphone.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Apps do communicate with one another. I can download a video in Puffin Browser and open it in VLC.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada

So average people Dont use Evernote, Pocket, Google +....?? Because I'm pretty sure average people would want to share information to those apps

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Why Can't apple apps communicate with one another?

So average people Dont use Evernote, Pocket, Google +....?? Because I'm pretty sure average people would want to share information to those apps

Yup! Just saying people who I've gone to grad school with, friends and family, all of whom aren't nerdy like me and post on forums don't give two ****** that. They care about Facebook, Instagram, the iPod app, etc

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA

Google+?! 90% of the US probably couldn't tell you what that is :D. Evernote is really the only one out of those 3 that average people might use. Mostly college students.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Google+?! 90% of the US probably couldn't tell you what that is :D. Evernote is really the only one out of those 3 that average people might use. Mostly college students.

Really? I live in Canada and I only know one person who uses Google+ I always thought Americans used it

Aug 26, 2008

Android apps are sandboxed.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I know of Google+ but I don't use it, I think I signed up for it once with my gmail and posted one thing and that was it lol

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
There's good cross-app 'Open In...' support handled by the OS. Apps that can handle a certain file type will be included in the apps you can open it in. It'd be great if Apple could do a similar 'Share' thing. Communication across apps is not impossible in the sandboxed environment, just has to be done in certain approved ways.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Really? I live in Canada and I only know one person who uses Google+ I always thought Americans used it

Nope. I don't know one person who uses Google+. I think it's mostly the "crazy, obsessed" android people. (Not all, but I think that would be the biggest majority of people who use it on a daily basis.)

----------

There's good cross-app 'Open In...' support handled by the OS. Apps that can handle a certain file type will be included in the apps you can open it in. It'd be great if Apple could do a similar 'Share' thing. Communication across apps is not impossible in the sandboxed environment, just has to be done in certain approved ways.

I think iOS has a decent start to it, for example opening PDF's in different apps, but there is definitely room for improvement to say the least. But honestly, for the most part it doesn't affect my workflow very often, but it is annoying when it does.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
You can interact in iOS also just the methodology changes

For your particular example of Pocket all I did was use the share button in Safari and 'copy'

Then I opened Pocket and got the option to add it automatically

IMAGE_77.png

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
You can interact in iOS also just the methodology changes

For your particular example of Pocket all I did was use the share button in Safari and 'copy'

Then I opened Pocket and got the option to add it automatically

The point is that this won't work in every app. For example, saving from the NYTimes app to Pocket requires the email method. It's very clunky. On Android you can long press an item in Dropbox and open it almost anywhere. Lots of examples like this. Apple has not been shy about stealing Android features in the past, they should not hesitate to use this one either. I would hope they'd all steal good features from each other and everyone could have the best of all worlds on their phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.