Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Toronto
Has anyone run Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 on their Macbook Air? I've got the 2012 13" 1.8 GHz w/ 8 GB RAM and wonder whether it will run smoothly. Thanks for anyone's input.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
What is that?

From 1994-2006, Apple used an architecture called PowerPC in their computers. This is why you see members with titles like "Macrumors 601" or "Macrumors G5". Those are the names of PowerPC processors. In around 2006, Apple started using Intel processors in its products. However, there would be compatibility issues. Some applications might not work on the newer Intel processors. Because of this, Apple developed something called Rossetta. It allowed Intel Macs to run PowerPC applications by emulating a PowerPC G4. However, Apple dropped support for PowerPC and Rossetta with the release of OS X Lion (10.7). The only applications that run on 10.7 and above are applications that are in Universal Binary or are Intel only. Universal Binary means that the program is universal- runs on both PowerPC and Intel. Intel only is pretty much self explanatory.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 will not run on 10.7 without the Universal Binary patch, because 10.7 and up are missing Rossetta.

imac5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the replies re: universal binary. The app is available for download through the App Store now, so that's a moot point.

What I was actually trying to ask was how well the game runs at full graphics on a 2012 Macbook Air w/ 1.8 GHz and 8 GB ram.

ral2108

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
Maxes out CPU

I have 2012 macbook air, 13", core i7, 8 GB ram.

Just installed it from app store today. It maxes out the CPU and fans run constantly (at 95-100* celsius). Not too thrilled about that.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I have 2012 macbook air, 13", core i7, 8 GB ram.

Just installed it from app store today. It maxes out the CPU and fans run constantly (at 95-100* celsius). Not too thrilled about that.

Installed it a couple of days ago from the app store. Same thing here, fan runs constantly. Used to love this game and still do.

purdue1014

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
Would RCT 3 work on 2013 MBA i5 with 8gb ram?

Hi Guys,

Do you think RCT would work with the above machine? The one from the Mac APP store? I am not computer savy, so I am not sure. According to game agent, the one questionable part is my 1.3 ghz processor.

Thanks!

Purdue

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Hi Guys,

Do you think RCT would work with the above machine? The one from the Mac APP store? I am not computer savy, so I am not sure. According to game agent, the one questionable part is my 1.3 ghz processor.

Thanks!

Purdue

You'll be fine. Processor speed doesn't mean much these days in regards to system requirements. A 1.3 GHz i5 processor is much different from a 1.3 GHz Pentium. It's about the GPU these days.

FWIW, RCT3 runs at max settings on my MBA 2013.

purdue1014

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2007
You'll be fine. Processor speed doesn't mean much these days in regards to system requirements. A 1.3 GHz i5 processor is much different from a 1.3 GHz Pentium. It's about the GPU these days.

FWIW, RCT3 runs at max settings on my MBA 2013.

Thanks. From what I have seen, it seems that on the MBA, RCT may cause the fan to run a lot. Is that bad? I just got this computer (mainly for work, I am not a gamer) and need it to last 3-4 years. Do you think running this game would cause the lifespan of the computer to shorten?

I used to play RCT as a kid (and would love to now:) )...but if that would hurt my computer (having the fan run continuously, not having enough processor speed) I don't want to let that infringe on my main needs/use for the computer.

Thanks!

PS-This is my first mac, so far, so good!

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Has anyone run Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 on their Macbook Air? I've got the 2012 13" 1.8 GHz w/ 8 GB RAM and wonder whether it will run smoothly. Thanks for anyone's input.

I use it on my mid 2011 air (4gm ram) and it runs fine. Enjoy the game :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Hey guys,

I know in the Steam version of this game, reflective water does not work. What about the Mac App Store version? I have an iMac with 680MX if it matters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.