Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonesie9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Two clicks on the ever fragile home button (although consistent throughout the years) does not seem like the most efficient method to access multitasking. What about a swipe up from anywhere above the very bottom of the screen? So you would have top swipe down-notifications, anywhere on screen swipe down-search, anywhere on screen swipe up-multitasking and bottom swipe up-control center.

Last edited:

jonesie9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
We already have swipe up for Control Center. You would need a new gesture.

Control Center is a swipe up from the very bottom or below the screen. The new search gesture is a swipe down from anywhere on the screen so why couldn't multitasking be a swipe up from anywhere on the screen?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Control Center is a swipe up from the very bottom or below the screen. The new search gesture is a swipe down from anywhere on the screen so why couldn't multitasking be a swipe up from anywhere on the screen?

The new search is only for the home screen.

Swipe up in any app would interfere with scrolling or any other swipe up gesture the app has.

newbreed23

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Anytime you scroll up, like safari, would trigger multitasking. If I had a choice I would rather flip flop multitasking and control center. Swipe up for multitasking and double click home for CC. I find that I use multitasking more than CC and that would save my home button more and smooth out the experience of switching apps. I always find the double click to be somewhat clunky. Not horrible though. This would work for me but I'm sure there are others who will use CC more. The option would be nice but that's not exactly apple's MO.

jonesie9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013

Swipe up in any app would interfere with scrolling or any other swipe up gesture the app has.

I would still like to see it as an option from the home screen.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
All Apple needs to do is to add an icon in Control Center to open the multi-tasking switcher. Problem solved.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
What would happen is apple in the near future would provide touch gestures. Since the iPhone's screen is currently way too small to provide multi tasking the way the iPad does. For that Apple would supply a touch sensitive home button for multitasking.

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
I think the idea of swapping controls for CC and multitasking is a good one... but I doubt Apple would do it as it's likely that the average user will use CC more.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Android has apps for swipe gestures. You must swipe starting on the outer edge of the screen into the screen for it to register the gesture. So it won't interfere with any app you're using.

If you you're playing a game and you're swiping on the screen only, it won't register the gesture.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010

Oops, didnt think about that! I think that would fit well with the new animation too, since multitasking causes the springboard to float up in a card view with the rest of the apps. So in a sense, a swipe up makes the springboard go up too. Seems natural now that I think about it. :)

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Apple is clearly experimenting with a task gesture.. In fact it was used in the WWDC demo if you were quick enough to catch it.

The gesture is a diagonal gesture from the bottom right corner.. This was also in the internal test menu that a developer discovered..

Go back and watch the WWDC demo.. You will see it being used if you watch for it.

No clue if or when the gesture will go public.. But they have given it thought :)

jonesie9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Apple is clearly experimenting with a task gesture.. In fact it was used in the WWDC demo if you were quick enough to catch it.

The gesture is a diagonal gesture from the bottom right corner.. This was also in the internal test menu that a developer discovered..

Go back and watch the WWDC demo.. You will see it being used if you watch for it.

No clue if or when the gesture will go public.. But they have given it thought :)

That sounds sweet

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Anytime you scroll up, like safari, would trigger multitasking.

It doesn't have to. In webOS you go into "card view" (multitasking) by swiping up from the bezel; it doesn't affect the browser because you typically don't swipe from the bezel when scrolling.

PlatinuM195

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
This would be perfect for me:
  • Swipe up for multi-tasking (similar to WebOS)
  • The card on the left of the home screen is an interactive control center that you do all your toggling/control in

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Another option would be: Swipe up from the left side of the home button -> Mutlitasking and swipe up from the right side of home button -> CC

There are many possibilities and I wonder when the whole homebutton clicking will end ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.