Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Hey guys
I am interested in getting a streaming box and I was about to get the Roku because, honestly it is cheaper after all (50 bucks for the LT), and one of my main reasons for getting it was for HBO GO. however I found out Roku does not stream HBO GO if you have Comcast. This made me start looking into ATV in which HBO Go apparently does work.
I have not been up to date with news on ATV but it does not seem that a new release is imminent.
After reading a bit about it seems nice that you can display whatever is on your iPhone trough the ATV.
Jut looking for some opinions, how do you like it. is the ATV worth it? Is HBO Streaming good? As I said I have not heard of rumors of any hw updates to it coming up soon, not sure if you have? and I should hold off on getting it till then?

Thanks!

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks! I am looking to use it mostly for HBO Go since I don't have netflix. Hope they eventually add Amazon Prime Video but HBO go is the main one for now, and youtube of course. I have an Iphone and my GF an Iphone and Ipad so even though that's not much (no mac laptops), hopefully its wroth getting it.
Hoping to also use it to stream music/radio apps from my iphone...

blujacket

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2013
Apple Tv is the only Apple product I have ever purchased. I stream HBO Go & Netflix and it does both great.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I use it all the time for playing my music. There are many solutions for streaming from PC/Mac to TV, but if you're using something like a DLNA client to play it, it's not a pleasant experience scrolling through thousands of entries via a joypad. Using the Remote app on an iPad to select music to play on the AppleTV is far nicer experience.

Add to that Netflix and Airplay, and it's an easy decision, IMO.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Thanks! I am looking to use it mostly for HBO Go since I don't have netflix. Hope they eventually add Amazon Prime Video but HBO go is the main one for now, and youtube of course. I have an Iphone and my GF an Iphone and Ipad so even though that's not much (no mac laptops), hopefully its wroth getting it.
Hoping to also use it to stream music/radio apps from my iphone...

Apple TV makes it nice to stream music from my iPad Mini. I use the HBO to GO and Netflix, the video and audio quality is great..it is a great buy

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
you have to have an HBO sub with a provider who lets you sign into HBO Go

Correct which Comcast is not...so even if you pay for HBO in Comcast it will not allow you to stream HBO Go tru the Roku. Comcast will let you watch HBO Go in your laptop or ipad or iphone and Apple TV but not with the Roku... go figure

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Just a follow up on this, got my ATV yesterday afternoon, have not played around much with it but so far looks good.
I will try to stream something in HBO Go today, yesterday I just watched a couple of movie trailers and streamed music form my desktop itunes, so far so good.
One thing though when you use airplay to display something from your iphone/ipad, it does not take up the entire TV screen, I did not try this with say HBO GO app or Youtube yet, but its that the default? Do only certain apps stream to the entire TV screen? or is this just not possible?
The way I see things is basically centered in my TV but does not even take up half of the TV screen. I guess I am trying to see if there's a way to 'maximize' the image displayed on the TV so it takes up all of the TV screen instead of just a small centered area.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Just a follow up on this, got my ATV yesterday afternoon, have not played around much with it but so far looks good.
I will try to stream something in HBO Go today, yesterday I just watched a couple of movie trailers and streamed music form my desktop itunes, so far so good.
One thing though when you use airplay to display something from your iphone/ipad, it does not take up the entire TV screen, I did not try this with say HBO GO app or Youtube yet, but its that the default? Do only certain apps stream to the entire TV screen? or is this just not possible?
The way I see things is basically centered in my TV but does not even take up half of the TV screen. I guess I am trying to see if there's a way to 'maximize' the image displayed on the TV so it takes up all of the TV screen instead of just a small centered area.
there is a difference between airplay and airplay-mirroring. airplay has to be built into an app, like youtube for example, which will optimize the output for a tv, airplay mirroring is when you select it on your device and it simply shadows whats on your device.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Apple TV is worth it to me just for Aiplay itself. Great feature to be able to through my desktop onto the TV screen.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
Apple TV is worth it to me just for Aiplay itself. Great feature to be able to through my desktop onto the TV screen.

Does this mean I'd be able to watch YouTube on the TV screen wirelessly? If so, is it complicated to do? I was thinking of getting Roku because of YouTube, but just as much because it looks simple to use with their remote. I'm technically challenged, but less so than my husband who i really want to enjoy using it too.

joel6653

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008
YouTube is built in

Does this mean I'd be able to watch YouTube on the TV screen wirelessly? If so, is it complicated to do? I was thinking of getting Roku because of YouTube, but just as much because it looks simple to use with their remote. I'm technically challenged, but less so than my husband who i really want to enjoy using it too.

You could stream it from another iOS device wirelessly, but you wouldn't want to do that necessarily, since YouTube is one of the apps built into the Apple TV.

oddsbodkins

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
And don't underestimate WatchESPN. I usually spend $110/yr on ESPN Full Court to watch out of market college basketball. Now that I can stream ESPN3 in glorious 1080p, I can save the $110 which automatically funded my ATV.

Reactions: satcomer

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i Love the Apple TV, i have a gen 1, modded so it can decode 1080p (at the cost of its wifi capabilities) which is ideal to load up with 140gb of movies or tv shows and travel with (or do a movie night at friends house with)

i have two apple TV gen 3s, one in the lounge and one in the bedroom, but i do have a 16TB raid thats currently 57% full of TV shows and Movies, and mostly stream that content and netflix via them.

I haven't watched live TV in years, i use Elgatos eyetv to record shows, tag and convert them using iVI pro and drop them into iTunes for later consumption once the adverts are stripped out.

For a time shifted lifestyle i cant recommend the Apple TV enough .

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Sony going to come out with a $100 buck apple tv competitor that is going to allow you to stream PS4 to any tv as long as you have a PS4. IT will also let you play PS VIta games on your TV even if you don't have a Vita !!!

PS TV is going to have all the channels Apple TV has for the same price + games minus the Apple store. As does every single gaming device out there. Hell buy the PS3 used for $150 or less and have the same thing + a blu ray player!! It has sunday ticket if your a football fan + basically all the sports special packages.

Then there is the google chromecast for $35 bucks + a few months free of netflicks making it basically free !!!!

Apple needs to lower the price of the Appletv big time(basically every smart tv, blu ray and gaming system does the same function).

Apple TV for me to buy it needs to be $30-50 bucks to compete with Chromecast or start letting us play video games on our TVs for $100 bucks.

Question is why do you want a Appletv and then search for a cheaper better option. Unless it is you really want another apple product I think you have way better and cheaper options. If you just want your itunes to work with your tv. Then buy a 3 dollar connector on ebay.

You have a ton of movies on itunes you want to watch. I ahve a 50 inch screen and most digital copies I got with blu rays came as DVD quality(WHY !!!!). You want to rent a movie? So much cheaper on Amazon or Netflix. Apple charges the same comcast does !!!Don't be lazy go to a redbox and get a blu ray for $1.50.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
Sony Bluray

For about $80 you can buy a Sony Bluray player that has built in wifi-receiver and play movies and get most of the streaming sites on Apple Tv including youtube, Netflix and others.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
You could stream it from another iOS device wirelessly, but you wouldn't want to do that necessarily, since YouTube is one of the apps built into the Apple TV.

Is the quality better playing YouTube movies with the Apple TV app instead of my ipad? It's so difficult to navigate around without the ipad keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.