Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seetheforest

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
Just spent a couple of hours playing around, I'm actually quite happy with how these came out!

Very well done. These are excellent and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually prefer that dock to the current OSX. Unifying the app icons to a distinct shape really improves the overall visual quality of the dock.

At first I was going to offer criticism of finder's icon remaining the same, but I think I was mistaken. Having Finder be visually separate from the other apps makes sense.

I feel like minimized apps should be styled similarly with a different geometric constraint. Obviously square comes to mind. And the trash should have an updated, flat design that doesn't conform to the geometric shapes for apps and minimized windows.

Overall, I love it actually. And as someone who hated iOS7 at reveal it gives me hope that something awesome can come out of this current design language.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
These look great! Do you have them in .icns? I would totally use them!

Me too, please! Really like these and I was thinking the other day actually how it's odd that iOS app icons have a consistent look but OS X ones don't.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
LOVE IT.

Made a thread about changing the way the dock looks to match ios7.

It seems under Mavericks, they have done some tricky stuff to make the dock pretty much unchangeable.

Either way, what did you use to make your dock translucent and going from side to side?

Thank a lot :D

DoctorFedora

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
It's a nice change of pace from the existing Mac OS icon theme of "everything is a blue circle," and it keeps Mac OS's now-virtually-trademark circular icons and adds color to distinguish them. I'm actually really digging this icon set. If I could, I'd use them myself.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nice icons!

I hope OS X does "go iOS 7"... just not too soon. iOS 7 is young (like OS X was once) and will take time to refine. And there are going to be certain ways in which OS X should look different because it IS different. So I hope Apple takes their time working all that out.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Considering you can easily change the icon of any Mac app now, I don't see the big deal about "inconsistency". Everyone was complaining about making the Mac more like iOS but now they're complaining that it's NOT like iOS.

Apple can't win, either way.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
The icons are nice in themselves, but I dont think flat works on desktops. Its one of the reasons I think widows 8 is horrid for desktops. Seems to fit more the mobile-theme. Id rather my desktop appear more Avatar-like (the movie) rather than South Park-like.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
Just spent a couple of hours playing around, I'm actually quite happy with how these came out!

First off, thank you OP. These boards could be greatly improved if more people used their time and talents to take chances and create something rather than just post about how much they hate everything. Yes, we all know, everyone hates everything.

Second, of course iOS ans OS X will share design languages. It would be crazy if they didn't. That's not to say they will look exactly alike or "meet in the middle" and have one unified OS.

it means that certain Apps that exist across Apples platforms will have icons that are the same... But different.

That's all.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
I like it a lot. i'm sure apple will come with something similar for the next version tho lots of people afraid of changes in OSX.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
This isn't "ugly" enough, the icons are too unified and have less-extreme gradients. This is not an accurate copy of iOS 7's icon design style, iOS 7 has more wild, vivid, and unique icon design.

novovic

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013

I was actually using theme called Circul8 on my iOS 6 and I was crying for round icons in iOS7... They look awesome! Thumbs up dude!
If you already wanna go modern, be consistent, and not chic (in a bad way... Like android) :/

Would really love to see those on my iPhone... Consider cydia tweak perhaps?

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
These can't possibly be inspired by iOS 7 - unlike iOS 7's icons, these actually look attractive and uniform.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 116
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.