Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I'm not running iOS 7 beta on any if my devices so I had a question I don't see the answer for...

For iPads running iPhone 5-formatted-only apps - when they appear in 1x mode, do they appear the size/height that they would on an iPhone 5? In iOS 6 they only appear the size/height of an iPhone 4 screen, even if they are formatted for the iPhone 5 screen.

And if so, are they sized proportionately in 2x mode (so that, I'm assuming, there is a sort of letter boxing effect on the side)? Or are they only sized to take up the entire screen, height and width?

That question seems more complicated than I'm trying to ask, so hopefully it makes sense.

Screenshots would be nice if possible, too...thanks.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
let me know of an app you want me to test on a ipad and i can take a screen shot for you.

Here are a few off the top of my head (all free, I believe):

PNC Banking (iPhone 5 formatted)
AppShopper (the new one, iPhone 5 formatted)
Cedar Point (iPhone 5 formatted)
Cedar Point Ride Watch (iPhone 4 formatted)
CNN App For iPhone (iPhone 5 formatted)
ESPN Scorecenter (iPhone 5 formatted)

I'm having trouble finding iPhone 4-only-formatted apps...I know there is a game called Sway that is but it's not free.

There is lettering on all sides. They don't do the whole 1x, 2x anymore. More lettering on the side than at the top.

I thought I read that the Retina iPads still have the 1x and 2x option...?

And is the letterboxing the same no matter what, or is there more on the sides for iPhone 5 formatted apps?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
ja5ezata.jpg

yty5a7u2.jpg

Looks the same as ios6 imo

----------

2epa3eny.jpg

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Interesting...it looks like it is the size of the iPhone 4 screen. I wonder why they wouldn't change that.

Thanks for taking the time to take and post these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.